Drug Testing in IT?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by JT Fifa, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Yeah my professor told my class that we need to get connects to get jobs easier. "Its all about who you know". lol. and I also heard about the A+ changing to a two part test. They are still worth getting though...especially at my school where if you do very well in classes, they will pay for the exams.

2. Having been a hiring manager in IT for many years prior to my 'retirement' earlier this year I can affirm this. I looked for experience, not pieces of paper.

That being said, given equal experience then I would look at certs.

3. All you need for certs is to pass the tests. How you get to that point is up to you.

4. In my experiance I haven't seen or heard anything of drug testing, (in calgary AB) it seemed like everyone was smoking weed.

At my last job there, it was a bit of an interesting experiance, we were a small time manufacturer with big time connections.

I learned through time there that the guy who started the company used to have a grow in his garage, presumably to get the money rolling in in order to start the company, or otherwise just because he wanted to (or whatever).

But he got in with NASA, and the company could pretty much print money after that.

I was in tech support and the sales guy and I would often head to starbucks or tim hortons, and smoke a bowl on the way in the car.... haha it was a busy street, but nobody cared.. actually i almost nocked over a policemans bike on one such trip... fuck i nearly freaked.

anyway, every place is different. that place was kinda the cutting edge type of people where new experiences and shit like that is encouraged. Our CEO was something like 25 yrs old.

actually, the sales guy once told met that our owner stopped by his place after work one day. (he's this typical nerd looking guy.. like bill gates or something, with a pocket protector) and actually aproached him once after work and started asking where he could find some good shit, and started naming strains.

But it's all about acting like who your doing business with.

5. Use someone else's urine or synthetic urine.

6. I work in IT and I was given a pre-employement drug test. I am also subject to random drug tests for the duration of my employment.