Dropping Out Of College.

Discussion in 'General' started by Tomason, May 6, 2014.

1. For the first time in my life I'm seriously considering dropping out of college.

Right now I'm studying international economics in the fifth semester. I always thought: "Economics, that's something you can use in so many aspects of life later on." But now I'm realizing I haven't been interested in what they teach as economics in my Uni at all. 

I'm not too smart, but I'm also far from dumb and I never had a problem learning something once I got interested in it. With the stuff they teach me it's quite the opposite. I like the general idea of the topics and am kinda interested in most of it, but their approach is all high school like, meaning they teach their perspective of things, tell you how awesome THEIR aspect of economics is compared to the others, tell you what's important and will ask you exactly what they tell you at the end of the semester in the tests. 

For the last two or three semester I thought it was the weed that kept me from getting the hang on it, but in reality it's really me who is not really interested in their teachings. 

You read their script and do their exercises they've drawn up for you and then you pass the test. I see so many people around me studying in the same field that just follow that principle like zombies and don't even think about what they're doing. Is this the right path? Do I want a job in this field even if it's not some uber-managing gig you think you get? I guess a majority of people actually think they're gonna be managing shit, but with the numbers of people enrolling every semester it's way more likely they'll end up with a 2500$ job, busting their ass for some scumbag company that keeps your profits for themselves and will give you a raise here and there so you might be able to eliminate depreciation of your currency. 

Maybe I would be more motivated if I came from the gutter and this would be a life and death thing for me? Maybe I would be more motivated if I couldn't find a job and make 2500$ a month with the training I already have? 

I can't get myself to do anything for the classes I'm enrolled in anymore. For the last few semesters exam week (2-3 weeks) are like hell and the only thing keeping me from complete depression is that I know it will be over and I can go home for a couple weeks again and work. Of course I fail some classes because for 80% of the time I don't give two shits about Uni at all. 

I wish I was like the others and could just do it, without thinking about anything, but maybe that's not even a problem but a gift. Maybe this is the right thing and in 4-5 years I've gained ground in a whole different area and I'll be happy while the others might not be so much.

Anyone here been there done that? 

/rant

2. #2 SlowMo, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    I only attended the classes I was interested in at the time (math and physics, then). Not recommended for most folks but I'm not like most folks. I pursue subjects because I'm genuinely interested in them rather than to land some boring fucking rat race job.  Fuck those who say you just HAVE TO have a college degree to make a decent living. This country is full of college degreed peeps on unemployment and working part time fucked up jobs.

I taught myself along the way everything (and more) that I needed to pursue my dreams - and I did it because i was genuinely interested in the subject matter. Plus, I'm not afraid to tell HR interviewers who I am, what I have done, what I can and will do, and what the fuck I think. Believe it or not, that has worked out real well for me over the years since I can do what I enjoy rather than being a slave to the pursuit of an ever insufficient income. Fuck that. By not playing this goofy-ass education-career game and being relaxed and comfortable about life, I've managed to get an education land some amazing and quite income sufficient jobs. This is not for everyone but I can tell ya, most of us normal dudes and dudesses actually CAN DO PRETTY MUCH WHAT WE WANT - assuming we're willing to be diligent about making it happen. In fact, in some respects a college degree is a hindrance rather than help to employment, but I won't open that can of worms.

3. I went to college for a couple years starting in 07. Growing up it seemed like going to college was the only way to go. After I dropped out I found an entry level manufacturing job and worked my way up for almost four years. I'd always wanted to travel, so finally I just quit my job (on good terms) and went to Australia and SE Asia for over five months. I've been back for six weeks and my old job wants me back. Problem now is, even though I want to work and make money to travel again, I also want to go back to school. I just don't know in what field.

When I was travelling I met a lot of people who went to college, got a job in whatever field they studied, and hated it. If you don't want to go to college any more then drop out. Just make sure you have a plan or something you're working toward or you may regret it. 

4. I didn't read all that but dropping out is def not the way your gonna wanna go. Thinking 20 years down the road I'll bet 100 bucks that you'll regret dropping out. It will eat at you for the rest of your life or untill you finish, I donno how far you've gone, but you've gone this far, shouldn't you just finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Do it op. Dont keep blowing money in school if its not going to interest you at all

There are plentyyyy of jobs that dont require a college degree

Hell i work for UPS, in a year to 2 you can land a spot as a feeder driver or a delivery driver and already be making 20$ an hour to start. Feeder drivers get like 30$ 

You dont need a degree. Dont let that crap get to ya

6. How much time do you have left? It seems a shame to work toward something for so long only to quit at the last minute.

Not that I'm one to talk, slap a quitter sticker over my forehead. Dropped out of uni after three semesters, quit trade school the first time after one, shut the door on college again after but one more failed semester attempt. What I've learned from it all? Don't do anything but what you love. Ever. Not even for a second.

7. Fifth semester?
    Is that not already three years in?
    I could have finished one of my degrees completely in 3.5 years if I didn't change majors. I would think you already put a lot of work in. And even if the education isn't all that valuable to you, having a degree could be be valuable to your life; something to still fall back on just in case.
    If it was just your first year in, and you thought this, I might give otherwise, but I'm just curious out your current situation. 

8. Maybe coordinate something with your college to take a leave of absence for a semester or two. That way you don't completely cut ties with your school and it gives you time to reevaluate your path. What you could also do, administrators willing, is complete all your course work while you travel or stay at home. You would have to show up for exams but at least that way you wouldn't have to be in an environment which you obviously don't enjoy. These are just some options you might have available instead of dropping out after you've already put in the work.

Sometimes the path to knowing what you want is the most deluded one. One of the biology teachers I've had over the years once told me the story of how he decided to switch out of a major he despised yet duly focused on. He said it was a day like any other...'in the seventies'. He had just finished up one of his second year accounting exams and decided to chill on his couch. As he sat there watching a Nat Geo series on TV, with a greasy remote and all, it hit him. All these memories of his childhood came flooding back into his mind. Memories of connecting with nature: grand sequoias reaching towards the sky, water striders skittering across a lake... After some time on his couch he turned his TV off and decided he was going to be a biologist. The semester was over but that didn't stop him from walking right up to the administration building and heading right on back home. Turns out it was already past midnight by the time he had reached the campus.

Anyway, the process of switching over to a biology degree took some extra time and classes but he managed. He eventually made a long and fruitful career out of his decision. He said the key was to love every minute of it, and maybe have Stephen Jay Gould pay your campus a visit at some point. Sure the world is a very different place now but I'm sure he is still at it. The dude really lived what he loved to do and loved those around him back.

We are still young and although the pace of the world isn't as forgiving as it used to be, best believe that it's never too late to start being who you want to be. Sure those who had their plans down pat from the start may have an edge over you, but honestly that is their life and it is subject to change as much as the next man.

9. #9 SauceDaddy, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    You are me....I did drop out. I didn't even make it to my associates though. I was also in business. I agree with literally EVERYTHING you said.

Only difference is I can't seem to find work that pays more than 8.50 and hour or so.

I hate the system we live in today, and just like you I wish I was like "the others" who "just do it" because "that's just the way it is" sooooo bad..

but then again I realize....I probably don't actually want that. And maybe it is a gift.

10. #10 SauceDaddy, May 7, 2014
    I worked for UPS. Did the sort aisle, loading, and Data acquisition when I was lucky.

HATED it. Had to fucking quit ASAP or I was gonna go beserk in that place. Union was a joke, they didn't do shit. Soups working every day, grievances never heard but the dues kept coming out.

FUCK ups and their dangling carrot of driving. And their destroying my body and my wrists and knees are still hurt today after only 1 year of work.

11. Yes sir. Its not for everyone

The weak quit and the strong live on. But i have a driver friend been working their for like a year before he landed a spot as a driver. now hes making 20$ for just being their 2 years. 

Obviously labor work is not for everyone but i was just using it as an example. You dont need a degree to make money

12. #12 SauceDaddy, May 7, 2014
    Yeah it definitely wasn't for me. I was capable of doing it and I did well at it, was one of the only employees in my whole hub that could do every single job in the hub including the computer work. A lot of the guys would get pissed cause I had less seniority yet I could do the computer job and they weren't able to.

I just refused to put up with those SHIT conditions and I realized mandatory overtime all the time with overloaded routes and no personal life wasnt worth the money to me personally. I guess I should have sucked it up because life is miserable.

Feeder drivers might have it better though.

I took a pay cut and went back to restaurant industry, but I'm making more because I get more hours. No bennies though. Fuck it, I feel a lot better mentally and physically.

13. What local where you

14. #14 SauceDaddy, May 7, 2014

355. The smaller one. Let's not get too specific here hehe. Steward was a joke. He'd work hand in hand with supervisors all day long and never say anything because they would let him slide on being late and let him SPA boxes every day.

As long as he turned the other cheek, he had an easy time there.

15. Dude. You start working for those scumbag companies making them profits, earn your salary, save and start your own scumbag company.

16. I always thought it would be awesome to start the first company where the people working for me making my business work made more money in a year than I did.

In this world, I guess you really do have to learn how to be what you're referring to as a scumbag. I can't seem to figure out how to adopt that mentality.

17. You're going into a cutthroat sector. You gotta learn to play hard or go home.

18. #18 SauceDaddy, May 7, 2014
    This is true. Luckily I have some experience in that field already if you're talking about what I think you are.

The only thing I've ever made good money at and enjoyed doing was that. The sketch factor kind of sucks but to stay honest it's like an addiction of it's own.

And even still, in that sector I'm STILL more generous than i have to be in hopes that the good karma will make it's way back and keep me safe.

The corporate type would crack up at the thought of karma! Guess I need to start exiling that belief right now if I want to be wealthy!

19. As a college student (going into my third semester), I completely agree. You do not -have- to get a degree to be well off. You could go to trade school, join the military, americorps, peace corps, go straight to workforce and earn your way to the top etc. There are so many options and I'd just wish our education system didn't push and pressure college onto EVERYONE, because it is -not- for everyone. I don't mean to sound conceited, but it's true. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

For what I want to do, I need at -least- a Bachelor's. I want to be a Clinical Psychologist, at least today I do. This requires a doctoral degree (or I can become a psychotherapist with a Master's, or LPC with Counseling, or a Social Worker... etc. Point is, college is a must for me to get to the profession I want to be). Regardless however, I do think taking some classes is good for personal development, like maybe some classes from community college. Those learning experiences will always be useful, sure not /every/ class you take but some may just catch your eye and you may utilize skills in the real world.

Don't feel pressured by society to finish college if you don't want to. The only real issue is most entry-level jobs are now requiring bachelor's, but they also offer an alternative of certain years of experience. McDonald's aren't the path for non-college educated people! There are so many options out there, college being one of them.

The choice is yours. I'd talk to academic advisors and perhaps other faculty for opinions and a better idea of what you want to do. Don't just base it on a forum, but do weigh the [realistic] possibilities of what may happen if you drop out.

Best of luck!

20. Ever thought of umm idk..? Changing your major? There's gotta be something that interests you and if not you're lying and just lazy