Dropping out of College?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Ponyboii2, May 15, 2012.

1. I found this article, and this is kind of how I'm feeling right now/where I'm at.

Not the death metal part, but you get the point.

I still don't know what I'm gonna do...

I Want To Drop Out Of College.

I'm rather sure that my decision to go to college was heavily influenced by my parents. They are very...bound by social norms. My mom believes, however, that I need to go to college to get a good job to support my family. She doesn't realize I plan to live alone. I've also been told that you should go to college to learn, and not to get a job. I'm not in college to learn, though! I'm only there because I want a bigger paycheck, but I can't get motivated to do all the work towards a life I don't want nor give a **** about. What I really want to do with my life is create. I want to create as much music and art and stories and other random ideas I have that I can put into effect at will. Such a thing is not done nor learned at college, but rather innovated, pioneered. Dropping out of college may mean a repetitive, long hours, low pay, lifestyle. I'm not sure how well I can handle such a lifestyle, though I'm sure I could get used to a full time job. If I dropped out of college, I'd have so much more time to work on my music projects. I am the guitarist of a melodic technical death metal band called "Skummer." Skummer | Lincoln, NE | Metal / Melodic Death Metal / Death Metal | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation. I'm the drummer of a comedic death metal band called "Brutal Zazz." I'm the bassist of a Slipknot cover band called "Sludgebucket." I'm the guitarist of a death metal band called "Fear Sight." I've recently started an experimental progressive project called "Brudderz" in which we write classical, electronic, alternative, melodic, metal, etc...we write whatever we wish. I'm very intrapersonal, however, and need a project that I have complete control over, so I have "Welkintrekker" on the side. Welkintrekker | Lincoln, NE | Electronica / Dubstep / Techno | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation. Welkintrekker is an electronic, dubstep-inspired project that I've been working on for about a year now, though I've gradually been learning more and more, though college has heavily hindered Welkintrekker. I went from working on Welkintrekker a few times a week to a few times a month. I still manage to fit the death metal band practices in, however. I work a part time job at the local grocery store, but longer shifts on weekends help out. I just hate having to fill any other free time with more school. I hate school. I honestly think I'm going to drop out very soon. I'm a quarter of the way through my 2nd semester, but I just need to be done.

2. Hey man, I just did the same thing. I'm pretty much exactly in your shoes. My decision to go to college was made not by me, but my parents. I just finished my third semester and told my parents I'm not going back.

3. I'm not sure if I'm going to drop out yet. I kind of want to finish up and get at least a bachler's degree in something..for back you know'? Just to have something to lean back on. But I feel as if I'm going throught the motions, and studying something I really don't care for; but it makes good money.

I was undecided but then in my 2nd year I just declared for an accounting business major, because..you guessed it: my dad's and accountant, but I'm still not sure if that's what I want to do.
    I gotta figure some shit out...

4. [quote name='"Dlit420"']Hey man, I just did the same thing. I'm pretty much exactly in your shoes. My decision to go to college was made not by me, but my parents. I just finished my third semester and told my parents I'm not going back.[/quote]

But why waste that money by not going back? Might as well finish at this point man.

5. Yeah just suck it up and finish man. You will be kicking yourself in a few years if you don't. If you think its hard now its even harder trying to go back after taking a few years off.

6. there is very little value at school right now. Drop out and follow your passions wherever they take you. Life is just a ride. Make it exciting and joyful.

7. NAh man thats just not real life, life isnt rainbows and butterflys, nobodys gonna pay you for following your dreams and making art or w/e. if you wanna live a live with little money but still have all that stuff u said... go for it

8. College isn't for everybody. Follow your heart. But do take notice to the ramifications of not completing college, especially given the current state of the economy.

All in all, you need to do what is going to make you happiest, not in the short-term but in the long-term.

9. Finish college otherwise I believe you'll regret it in the long term. Not having a college education in this economy is a crime.

10. Yeah if you start you might as well finish, no point in dropping out and wasting all the money.

11. Honestly I hate to say it but most of the people that do this can't live with the real world. It's the reason scum bags complain about everything while they sit on their ass and collect unemployment. If you can't even go to College good luck getting a good job, not following through on something like that shows a clear lack of commitment.

12. Atleast get a two year degree.

13. I want to tell you not to drop out. I want to tell you to man up and deal with it and that it will be worth it in the end, regardless of whether you live alone or with a family. In the grand scheme of things, the amount of time that you spend in college is hardly a blink of an eye. Life is not easy, it never will be-- as an artist or a corporate drone. You will have plenty of time in your post-collegiate days to work on your music and your art.

But, college isn't for everyone. Some people thrive better without a college education-- Steve Jobs was a college dropout, as was Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg. Keep in mind though, those are the select few....a very very rare breed of person.

My advice is to continue through the semester, get the credits and then take the time to consider whether or not you want to continue. Maybe you just need a year off to support yourself, feed yourself and contribute to your arts.

And I will tell you this. I dropped out of college a few years ago and I'm just now going back after getting some life experience and this is quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. I have a number of regrets in my life but there's nothing I regret more than dropping out before I got that little piece of paper.

14. Trust me full time student is better than full time mcdonalds employee.

15. As someone who was a straight A student, then dropped out of my main education, went to the equivalent of an american community college and got a shitty useless qualification, I don't quite have any regrets because in my case I met some really cool people at the college but damn it's made my life really hard now, and I do wish I could go back.

Sadly I'm in a foreign country now and that's not an option. :(

It's your choice, but I wouldn't do it man. Especially if it's paid for. Stick it out until the end.

16. Finish, for sure! That life you strive for is something awesome, do-able, and not saying it's gonna fail or you will get sick of it, but eventually if you change your mind it would be nice having some form of degree under your belt. That way if the need or desire for a better-paying job arises, you'll have the degree as a nice "backbone" for some support. I'd most definitely reccommend finishing up.

17. College in this economy is useless unless you majored in something that needs a lot of human resources like engineering and shit

18. I wouldn't say useless, as having a college degree will still seriously increase your chance of gaining employment. With the economy, the better, higher paid jobs, are indeed really hard to come by and many college grad's are having to work jobs that require none of the schooling they endured. But at the same time, they're competing for those jobs with people lacking college education, therefor giving them a little edge. Having a degree is definitely not as promising as it was in the past.

19. I hate when people say college is useless, job outlook may not be great for a graduate but it beats someone who hasnt graduated.

20. When it comes to jobs, you're always gonna be compared to others. Whoever's got the higher education generally gets the position, unless they're completely lacking skills/abilities required.
    Survival of the fittest.