droopy leaves, young plants, yellow tips

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ambrosepants, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Are you growing designer genetics or bagseed?
    bagseed, though i've only saved seeds from the better batches i've had

Are you plants from seed or clone?
    seed

How old are your plants total?
    about 3 weeks old, including germination

Are your plants in flower?
    nope

How big are the plants (in height and # of nodes)?
    about 2" tall, just babies

What type of medium are you using and what is its makeup?
    soil. i started with a seedling mix in small containers, and just (yesterday) replanted them in miracle grow's organic soil. it doesn't have miracle grow in it, just some sphagnum peat moss, pasteurized poultry litter, and quick release 0.1-0.05-0.05. thus far, the pH is slightly less than 7 in both the cubes and the new soil.

What size planter are they in?
    formerly 1.5"x1.5" seedling cubes, now in round 6" pots.

Chemical or organic fertilizer?
    i had sprinkled a (very) small amount of dried blood on top, but i suspected that it wasn't being absorbed. when i re-potted, i used an extremely diluted solution of MG vegetation, with a high amount of nitrogen. in their new pots, they've been watered once so far.

How frequently do you water and how much do you use?
    i stuck my finger down about 1" to see if the soil was damp or not, meaning i watered about once every other day, enough to make the soil feel moist, but not soggy.

How frequently do you feed them and how much do you use?
    i used a small amount of dried blood for the first few weeks, and just switched over to a dilute (1/8 tsp per gallon) solution of miracle grow nitrogen solution.

Have you seen any bugs in your garden?
    nope

What size light are you using?
    2x bright white 100w CFLs, 1x daylight CFL

How big is the room they are in?
    it's a grow cab, approximately 18" deep, 32" wide, 36" tall

Do you have ventilation?
    certainly!

piccies:

The Grow Cab:
    [​IMG]

Droopy plant still in seedling cube, brown/yellow tips:
    [​IMG]

Yellowing started from tips, is now along outer edges, with odd spots:
    [​IMG]

Poor quality pic showing droopy leaves, slight yellowing, and purple-ish center:
    [​IMG]

2. Sup pants?

I am new at this, but i read tons. Let me take an educated guess here...

What type of medium are you using and what is its makeup?
    soil. i started with a seedling mix in small containers, and just (yesterday) replanted them in miracle grow's organic soil. it doesn't have miracle grow in it, just some sphagnum peat moss, pasteurized poultry litter, and quick release 0.1-0.05-0.05. thus far, the pH is slightly less than 7 in both the cubes and the new soil.

Preferted soil to start, could be yellowing tip issue due to over fert. PH under 7...that could be 6.8 or that could be 5. What is the actual PH #?? And, is that the PH of your water before watering plants, or is that the PH of the runoff water? Are you using a digital PH meter?

How frequently do you water and how much do you use?
    i stuck my finger down about 1" to see if the soil was damp or not, meaning i watered about once every other day, enough to make the soil feel moist, but not soggy.

This is where I think you may have gone more wrong, not sure if you can go more wrong then MG preferted soil, ANYWAY, over watering can show up as droopy leaves. The finger test is not always the best as moisture seeps down into the soil, I suspect the bottom half of the soil is never drying up much at all.

My biggest suggestion is to read some more here at GC. Don't over water, and get a more accurate PH reading. Hope that was helpful.

3. You are overwatering.
    Those puny little tiny plant thingies need virtually no water at all.
    Leave them alone for a week or more.

Keep your eye on the plant on the small pots they will dry out first.
    The big pots could do without water for 2 weeks or so, I expect.

4. definitely overwatering, let the pots dry out and only water until u start to see run off, only a few drops of run off is best

5. hey guys, thanks for the quick response :hello:

when i say the pH is just below 7, i mean to say that it's about 6.9. i also had reservations about the MG Organic, being that it's still from MG, though we'll see what it turns out like. it's definitely not as caustic as the original blend. here's hoping.

live and learn, no?