Droopy budsite Please Help! w/pics and info

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by babycorn, May 10, 2011.

1. What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soiless
    What brand and type of soil? Botanicare Cocogro
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Easy Ryder
    How old are the plants? will be week 7 in 2 days (5-12-2011)
    What type of lights and how many watts? Hortilux Eye enhanced spectrum 250w HPS in a GrowLab 60 ~2'x2'x5'
    How far from the lights?
    ~6 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? When the pot is very light (~2.6 lbs) about every 1 or 2 days. Tap water.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? Botanicare sweet, pro bloom, cal mag+, Liquid Karma, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Unsulphured organic Blackstrap Molasses. Everything is fed at half strength except the cal mag which is full strength. I flushed her using clearex this morning and fed again after.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? Runoff is 5.8 every time.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 72 F - 81 F 30-50% RH
    What size pots? 3 gallon
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    No. Used a 100x scope
    Any other pertinent info? Only one bud site is exhibiting these symptoms although there is an overall yellowing of a majority of the leaves under the canopy.

I have no idea what is going on, Only one bud site is drooping and the rest seem fine. The leaves under the canopy are starting to yellow all over the plant but other than that she seems ok. Is this normal?

For additional info on care and issues up until this point please click the link in my sig to go to my journal. There are additional pics there that I couldn't double post and you can see a progression up until this point.

Please help. I have put a lot of time and effort into this and I would hate to see something bad happen to her.

Check out the link in my sig for MUCH better pics.

Attached Files:

2. If you're sure the temps under the lights aren't too high, the only other problem that commonly causes all-over plant drooping is overwatering.

3. Yeah, I'm positive it's not the temps and it's only one droopy bud site but a plant wide yellowing. Sorry if that was confusing and thanks for the reply! and nice avatar, i have a quaker!

Freakbro commented on my journal and said he suspects that it could be root related. Any other thoughts?

If it is root related is it too late to transfer her to a 5 gallon pot with perlite? or is that a horrible idea at this point in her life?

4. Root-bound plants will droop when you give them a full watering. If Freak thinks that's what it may be, then just check the roots. Loosen the root ball from the pot by squeezing the sides of the container all around. Firmly grab the base of the plant's trunk (smaller plants obviously must be handled differently) with one hand and lean the plant toward you. With your other hand, grab what is now the bottom of the container's edge. Pull the plant out of the pot, sliding your hand along the underside of the soil, supporting it. Check the roots and return it to the pot. If the roots are swirling around the bottom corner of the pot, the plant is or almost is root bound.

This is easiest to do when the soil is dry. Never check roots under grow lights. Keep the lights in the room as dim as possible when removing a plant from its pot.

5. I think she is or almost is rootbound. Can I transplant her to a 5 gallon pot tomorrow or is it too late? There are roots all around the bottom of the pot. Thank you so much for your help. That was a great explanation:).

+rep for your help! and dont forget to check out the journal:D

6. As long as you are very gentle, you can transplant during flowering. Having an assistant will help reduce the risk of any shock. Use a soft soil mix with little to no perlite or other hard chunks. Transplant under dim lighting. Be very careful with slow movements- you've already bumped things around a bit when checking the roots and transplanting will add to the stress.

Keep in mind that the roots will reach the bottom long before they swirl around enough to become root bound. If it is becoming root bound, transplanting is the only hope of it lasting much longer.

7. Ok cool. I'll definitely be very careful when transplanting. Can I add perlite if I make sure to add a layer of coco over it so it doesn't touch the roots? I just want a little more drainage. Or is this completely out of the question?

Freakbro suggested I wait until sundown tomorrow and see what she does. I'm going to do that and if she doesn't improve by then I will definitely transplant her using your advice! Thanks again!!!

8. Np. Perlite isn't out of the question, just a thought that might reduce a little stress.