drooping leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tsharktim, Dec 11, 2013.

1. #1 tsharktim, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    My leaves started to curl under two days ago, it started with just the bottom fans leaves but now mostve the leaves are curling down and drooping and I noticed a few fan leaves have some yellowish spots developing. the center leave tips are also curling under like a claw. At first I thought it was over nutes, but they haven't had any in a week and I did a slight flush lastnight. then I thought they may be root bound. This is my first medical grow so I truly am a noob.
    I picked up these two plants last Wednesday so I don't know anything before that. Theyre in 1 gallon pots with sunshine mix, indica dom., about 18-20 inches tall from soil. I had them under fluros until right before the droop started. put them under a 400w mh on sunday. Temp is steady around 65' f. Any advice would be a huge help IMAG0364.jpg IMAG0369.jpg IMAG0370.jpg IMAG0371.jpg

2. I added some pics hopefully these help a little. I also raised the 400w mh up to about 18in from the tops. It was only about 4in away. I thoughtt would be OK because I used the back of hand test at 4in away.

3. Over watered IMO.  Your perlite is stained from algae, and tannins from the soil.  Takes constant moisture to do either of those things.

You had a 400w mh 4 inches from them and the tops aren't fried?  You got lucky.  65f is pretty cold for lights on, even for lights off it's borderline.

Looks nice for first grow.

4. OK I'll let them dry out a little better before I water then again. The 400 mh is a high bay shop light that was converted to a remote ballast with a homemade air cooled hood. I thought the light would put off more heat then it does, my room is in my basement which is steady around low 60's and in my 4x9 room it's 65 w the 400 mh running 24hrs.

5. I added a small humidifier which brought it up from 30% to a steady 64%. temps are mid to upper 60s. Also let them dry out some then added a1/4 strength nute solution. They don't seem to be getting any worse but there's not any new growth on the tops. Side branches are growing slowly. Goin to wait till next watering before I do/ try anything else

6. They are clearly too cold and wet. 65f is way too low, that's acceptable as a light off temp. Proper temps (78-84f roughly) is not really optional. At such a low temp the photosynthesis process is slowed down significantly and the water uptake and transpiration is reduced. If the environment temp is 65f, the wet roots are even colder.

I would probably build a few walls around that lamp, of 4x4 max, to use the warmth from the bulb more efficiently.

7. 1 gallon pots? I think your long overdue for a transplant

^^^

Stop air cooling those lights.

9. From the pics your girls appear to be expressing a mild Mg and Ca deficit. Next time your pour water through get the run-off and measure your ph and see what it says.

10. They seem to be doin better. Temps are staying in the low 70s, the small humidifier keeps it around 50-60%. PH meter came today.... Run off is 5.8 on one plant and the other is 5.6. Also transplanted them from the 1 gallon pots to 3 1/2. I think that was one of the problems because the were root bound w roots grown in circles around the pot. I decided to try a scrog so there under a screen now as long as I don't run into any more issues I'll veg a few more weeks to fill the screen a little better then flip the lights

11. Sounds like a plan. Keep your ph sorted and you'll be good to go. Question? Is your mix considered soil-less?

12. Looks like plain old fashion shock.
    Maybe rootbed was disturbed? Maybe the move? Possible that the cold temps and change in environment?

All is all, you should be fine. Hold off on nutes till the leafs perk back up, and it would not hurt to bump the temp up. Expect the leafs to yellow/die off.. This is to be expected after a plant experiences shock.