Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Driving While Stoned

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Sweetpea77, May 28, 2012.

1. #1 Sweetpea77, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
    Ok, I've seen quite a few posts on here from people who talk about driving around high, smoking a doob, ect, and I thought I would ask the question...

Who all thinks its not ok to drive while stoned/high, and who thinks that it is perfectly fine?

I personally am against it, but that's not without years of driving around while high. I realize now that I am older and have been smoking for a long time, that it is just not cool. Intoxicated is intoxicated, and although not as bad as alcohol, pot certainly impairs judgement to some degree.

I am very surprised that GC allows this type of activity to be discussed so openly, but have strange rules about other types of threads.

2. Maybe, but not for me. Especially not when I'm driving.

3. Know your substance, know your source, and know that you are behind a 2000 pound metal machine that can readily kill people and yourself! Curious to see what happens with mj dui's when/if legalization comes around

4. It depends on the person driving how the smokes effect them. For me I drive a F-350 super duty. It doesn't effect in any negative ways it makes me drive better in my opinion I take my time, accelerate at a more easy on engine timing. When I'm sober I gun it, speeding, weaving a little.

5. I to having been smoking and driving....it is very relaxing but also misleading.....I was driving home once after a pickup and a bit high but comfortable....I looked in the console for something and ended up distracted for a bit untill I remembered I was driving.....by myself.

My cousin died on this road when he fell asleep coming home from work...it could have been me.

6. I hear a lot of people say they're better drivers when they're stoned. Yeah you aren't driving as fast but i think people fail to realize that their reaction time is delayed which can be extremely important in certain situations.

7. This is what I am trying to get across, I don't neseccarily mean your actual driving skills, but your judgement, corrdination, distraction level, mellowness, reaction time, comprehensive and cognitive reasoning. These areas are all affected by pot, which I am pretty sure is the reason most of us smoke it. :smoke:

I feel the same way about prescription Rx's, alcohol, cell phones and other drugs. Anything that distracts your driving can be deadly. I think that the "I know I drive better stoned" or "know how much you can handle" is the same as a drunk driver saying the same thing about alcohol, and I am sure the majority think its a pretty lame excuse for driving drunk.

8. I used to drive around stoned all the time. When I lived with my parents, almost every weekend I spent at least one night smoking up and cruising some back-ass roads through some wooded areas. Real secluded, I rarely saw another car. I was also usually driving around at 2-3am, so that could helps.

Don't do that anymore. Too risky. I drive stoned sometimes, but not really because I want to. So although I don't encourage it anymore, I don't go out of my way to stay sober behind the wheel...

9. Driving while high is a normal thing for me and i'm sure it most likely is for any stoner. Driving around hot boxing, smoking a jet before groceries, etc. it's all the same to me. MJ I would say actually makes me a better driver because I am much more aware of my surroundings while using and high. If your weaksauce and don't think you could drive, then you probably shouldnt.

10. I drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport and smoke while driving/right after smoking fine all the time. The only time I think it would effect your driving skill is if you got nervous about it.

11. There is a substantial amount of proof that these other items you mentioned are dangerous when driving, lots of statistics. The same can not be said about cannabis.:D

:smoke:

12. I find statistics not the most reliable method of getting information. It is unfortunate, but often difficult to find a study free from bias. :smoke:

I am speaking from personal experiences, either my own driving or other's driving. Under all influences, from unmentionables, to extreme exhaustion, to prescriptions, to just some really bad drivers.

I find it a little unnerving to know so many people believe it improves driving. As I said, it would be a pretty poor excuse after an accident.

But hey, that's only my opinion, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just seeing how others feel about it. :smoke:

13. Lol, I think you are mixing statistic and study, they are two different beasts.:smoke:

14. Bong rips and car trips lead by nothing else other than moonlight in the chilly early hours of the morning. Beautiful.

15. It depends entirely on the individual driving. I would never let a friend drive while stoned if I wasn't 100% sure he would be fine.

16. i drive around high all the time, and the worse thing that's ever happened was being arrested for cannabis utensils and Still the cop didn't realize i was high lol, but it depends on how high you are.

17. To me it depends on who's driving and how it effects them/how well they know their limits.

I for one know that I'm perfectly fine to drive in city settings, but I would never venture on to the highway while high. I'm one of the two designated high drivers in my group of friends for munchy trips.

18. This ^

You really just need to know your limits or trust that the driver knows his\her limits. If I know I'm going to be the driver I smoke less than normal to be responsible and safe for everyone in the car. However when I do get higher than usual and drive I tend to drive under the speed limit because i feel like im hauling ass :p

19. depends who's driving. i would much rather be in my brothers car if he's stoned. when hes sober he drives like 90 miles an hour on the highway.

20. A cop on here with new account .....

Mighty suspicious ...... Mighty suspicious