Driving Manuals

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by IAMGROOT19, Dec 29, 2019.

1. D
    Dude what is your problem anyway ?

2. This is my wheelhouse. The second to last job I had before I retired was driving instructor. (I taught driving big rigs.)

This is how to drive a manual transmission vehicle: Right foot ONLY operates the gas and brake. Left foot ONLY operates the clutch. You don't need to physically take your foot off the gas when you change gears -- just relax the pressure on it while shifting, so the engine doesn't race.

Vehicles with a clutch brake (like big rigs) require either double-clutching or 'drifting' (shifting using no clutch at all). When I was teaching driving tractor-trailers, it was easier to teach people who had never used a manual transmission because there was nothing to unlearn. In fact, we described the operation of a manual transmission in a class 3 vehicle only as an illustration of what NOT to do when driving a big rig.

Just remember: in a car/van/SUV/light truck, the right foot is for accelerator and brake only. Left foot is for clutch only. I know clutching is a bit like rubbing your tummy while patting your head, but after a while you'll get so used to it you won't even think about it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. By the way, just wanted to add... drifting gears in a class three vehicle isn't too wise.

You drift gears in a semi because it has a clutch brake, and what that means is whenever you fully engage the clutch, the drive spindle comes to a complete stop. When this happens, the only thing you can do is stop the vehicle and start over again: it's impossible to shift up or down without the spindle spinning enough to engage the other gears. That's why truck drivers are taught double clutching: the first 'half clutch' is done to slow the drive spindle down, the second is done to eventuate the gear change. It is also a technique only used regularly by new drivers. Experienced drivers drift gears because it saves fuel and cuts down wear on the clutch and transmission. On a regular light vehicle there's no clutch brake, and no need to drift. In fact, it's harder to drift passenger cars than semis, and the damage to the transmission is a lot worse if you fuck it up.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Thanks Didactylos..Good to know what i didnt know. That is Awesome & i remember that i gotta get one of those driving simulators too..

5. Those people who don't know how to drive a stick shift are called shiftless people

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Moto cross racers/drivers do this is soft dirt and sand .

7. Wow..all you guys/galz..looking back on the thread and reading all your comments is pretty understandable now..Horizon 2: if I had not gone through those settings for shifting, I would have not known that there is a manual car out there with no clutch pedal..
    Thank you guys/gals for the helpful comments. Oh..havnt bought the simulator yet, found out there are driving instructors that can teach me..way better than simulator..

8. I regret not getting manual for my jeep

When i had my other cars, they were manual, and I would watch YouTube videos on how to do certain gear changes while driving fast in the canyons.

9. I learned how to drive manual on a pos Nissan 240, actually my friend at the time owed the kid $140 for an oz of some oat meal looking brick crap weed. So I paid the debt off for the title Ahahah, had to learn on a small hill with the hand brake, to learn how to smoothly get off the clutch and start.
    Two years later driving multiple built drift cars with stage 3 clutches daily, it becomes second nature.
    I made a point with my fiancé one time on the way to a TB Rays game driving our ol farm truck.
    I was able to roll a blunt, drink a soda, take bites of my burger and fries, all while cutting in and out of traffic steering with my knee, all while up and down shifting getting around traffic. “ cause we were gonna miss the first pitch” and she didn’t know how to roll back then. Stupid times but yepp I miss driving manual
    Shit I drive auto with two feet. My wife hates that I must use the buttons on her car instead of drive lol.
    Makes me want that new Bronco....7 speeeeeeeeedddd whhhaatt

10. Oh yeah OP,
    Yes if I remember correctly off gas, clutch in Hold shift, slowly evenly apply gas as you let off clutch.