Driving Manuals

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by IAMGROOT19, Dec 29, 2019.

1. i was wondering if you can gas, clutch then change gear all at once or do you gotta step of the gas & then clutch, change gear & then back to gas [ it seems abit nah for me ]..i dont know..ive tried driving a manual but not as long to know which is which..

2. I always let off the gas when changing gears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don't know gears. Can't be bothered having to fuck about with both my hands and feet every time I stop/start.
    I'm sure someone can actually answer your question though.
    Me? Auto all the way. I've got concentration issues at the best of time, so...manual just seems like a whole lot of bad idea for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. You can but will likely lose control if car has any power, not to mention fuck the clutch.

Easier to power shift without using clutch at all.

Otherwise, just pull the foot off gas ½speed that you press in clutch. That way, by the point you need to get back into gas, it is more gradual.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Learners are you?.. i too have not started or even near it & yeah il probably answer my own question..Auto?..seems boring..you just sit there turn left & right..flick flick..moan at drivers..Blame Ken Block with the Manuals..i is so into it..oh im actually lookin to buying some ps4 accessories maybe the G920 now i know the shifter can be moded..its for practise..plus they have hand brakes..im so new to the old news

6. Nah, I'm a few years in...I learned on an auto. Tried a manual a bit later, it was everything I thought it would be and I had the easier option available so stuck with auto.
    Way I saw it, it was less to fuck with my concentration...for me driving involves ensuring a lot of safety, I travel with my kid nearly everywhere and there's enough shitty drivers out there without adding an even poorer version of my attention span into the mix.
    Though nope, I don't hate on manual drivers (for all the jabs I've got from them over the years about it)...I've never had a traffic incident/near miss and looked or wondered if they were auto or manual drivers or anything like that.

Yeah good idea, try the digital version first. If you can get your head around it, then it's for you.

Me, moment I got in auto I just knew I didn't want it to be any less chill or relaxing to move forward for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. is it because you dont want to o
    im confused..is not the clutch there to change gears
    im not ta
    can you picture dodging stuff i mean drifting though..that think fast type of sh** like weeeeeee..when driving though.
    Yeah i get you..
    im stil on learners & ive never wanted my restricted on an auto..

8. #8 killset, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Let off the gas as youre pressing the clutch down...shift...let off the clutch and get back on the gas.

Its funny these days how few of people know how to drive manual. We had the opportunity to drive a manual in drivers ed. Good thing my dad had me out in the fields at an early age shifting gears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I started out shifting on motorcycles. Been a mechanic most of my life. It's not even a thought process anymore. Just more like muscle memory. Bigger stuff like trucks have greater tolerances, don't even need the clutch unless you're stopping. You shift at RPM. I just listen to what the motor is telling me. I don't even use the tachometer unless I'm driving an automatic getting on the freeway ramp. Peddle to the metal to squeeze into traffic without floating valves. I think my first stick shift experience was a column shifter in a pipty-pibe Cheby.
    But to answer your question, let off the gas and push in the clutch. Shift. Let off the clutch and push on the gas.
    If you're just learning, it's much easier to get the hang of it in a small car. A light weight cracker box like Honda or Toyota, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. That's how I know it too..it had crossed my mind to think if it is possible to gas it while clutching & shifting all at once cause I don't know how to drive at all..actually I don't drive..

11. I love manual, it's the only way to drive if you like sports cars.

• Like Like x 1
  12. No..I don't know sports cars I used to have drifting dvds that teach you how to drift on manual when I was younger..some howho had a blaze & jammin drift max on my phone & I jack potted Ken Block on YouTube probably weeks ago & it's sparkin' it up again now I'm stil watching it..looking forward to that simulator now..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Staying on the gas will cause the engine to rev too high. You can always pick out the drivers new to manual by the way the motor revs or sputters while shifting.
    Let off the gas while pressing the clutch down... shift....let off the clutch while smoothly getting back on the gas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I know.. but if I changed gear half way & gassin at the same time though..Il try the simulator if I'm stil into it..

15. #16 killset, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    You're over complicating something super simple. It makes absolutley no sense to do it that way. A gear change is very quick, you dont have time for all that unnecessary stuff. Plus it could wear the clutch out prematurely. It will just slow you down and make you continue to look like you don't know how to drive stick shifts. I would get a good chuckle out of someone going by me shifting like that. Some people need to drive automatics

• Like Like x 1
  16. First vehicle i owned was a manual. Its somewhat distracting at first, but then it becomes muscle memory. The reason you dont press gas while holding down the clutch, is because the engine will rev up, when you let go of clutch, youre car will take off at whatever its revved at. Only time you need to give it gas is getting the car to move, and only a LITTLE gas, slowly let off clutch slowly if you do it too fast car will die. After its moving theres no need to use gas and clutch at same time.

In todays day and age though, a manual is basically the best anti theft system there is.

If you need examples, of giving too much gas while letting off clutch, just watch dirtbikes wheelie. They are wheeling by going high rpms, so when they take off they wheelie off. Same will happen to a car, just not wheelies.

• Like Like x 1
  17. You wanna learn to drive a stick shift?
    Drive to the top of a very big hill and come to a complete stop. The steeper the better. Now try to take off without rolling backwards.
    When you master this, you have 'officially' become a---->
    "MANUAL OPERATOR".

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Been using families automatic cars for years so when I got my first car it was a manual.

Reasons being the control, often times I'd find myself in the apex of a turn and when I'd throttle out the dam tranny would shift ruining the corner. Plus I find driving a stick simpler then an auto after a while ( I've always been a fiddler). And I find I'm more involved with my surroundings, cuase you have to plan a head vs auto you just mash the throttle or brake at will

As for shifting. Shifting to a higher gear bring the clutch to its friction zone while letting off the gas( completely from 1st to 2nd less and less higher you go) once in gear balance letting off the clutch and easing on the throttle.

Most things are pretty much simultaneously happening.

Down shifting just reverse operation clutch in while blipping throttle and off clutch.

Going 2 or more gears clutch in while cutting throttle and shifting to neutral. clutch out rev up to corresponding rpm for the gear. clutch in while shifting to that gear clutch out while easing back on throttle

Most of it comes down to knowing how much throttle it takes for your given gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. the clutch when in, pulls the engine of the gearbox is all..so no power from the motor gets to the wheels
    when the clutch pedal is fully in, so there in no reason too gas on, when using the clutch

some cars like say the Ferrari F430 (2005-2009?) have an auto clutch
    you select what gear you need, the car flips to the auto clutch and bang you are off...
    much faster than any manual setup now available in many Euro and Asian cars

and yes many auto trans cars can be driven like or as a manual shift,
    simply by flipping the auto lever as required to suit the road,
    tho many claim it shortens the life of the trans..but only in cheaper cars imo