Driving 100+ Miles Per Hour

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by pocket biscuits, Jan 30, 2012.

1. I remember when allot of diesel semi truck's only had 300 to 350 HP.
    I have a 04 ram with the 5.9 24 vale engine ,, i think its rated at 310 hp .
    I love the truck and normally I never use 310 horse unless I an hooked to me 32 foot montana 5th wheel triple slide outs with my 17 foot Crestliner deep V aluminum fishing boat.
    Realistically why would anyone need a 1 ton diesel with 400to 800 horse power ?
    That is the same hp as a semi truck and the transmissions and drive lines and rear axles are not going to hold up to that kind of abuse in a 1 ton pick up .
    Anytime any diesel engine smokes black , that is the maxium power/HP/torque the engine going to produce .
    Smoking black is the sign the engine is over fueled and not enough intake manifold pressure .
    Black smoke is unburned fuel. Unburned fuel around the top compression ring on the piston is corrosive,
    The fuel eats the aluminum around the top piston ring glade .
    Its the metal ring inserts that are made into a forged aluminum piston.
    After a while the unburned corrosive fuel eats into the side of the piston, some times making part the top of the piston coming off.
    That is called a debond and is only caused by the engine being over fueled .

In the old days we had mirrors on the exhaust stacks and we shifted by the color of the exhaust , by the engine water temp and what Pyrometer ( engine exhaust temp ) said.
    I have no idea what my intake manifold temp or my exhaust is when I am pulling a hill in my 04 ram 5.9 twenty four valve
    I know my water temp is 210 f plus pulling a hill
    As I said I drive my truck like grandma and only time it really work the truck is when I have my 5th wheel and boat hooked up .
    I have a pinion seal leaking and under a load you can smell the 85/110 i think gear oil .
    Really what I use my truck for is fantastic as of power. I can floor the throttle and roll the rubber off the 380.00 $ tires with a 310 hp Cummins.
    Cant imagine having 600 plus HP in a pick up . Most semi going down the road these days are 550 hp or under.
    but if you notice none of the semi trucks on the road anymore smoke black when they shifting .
    Its all because of the on board CPU/computer regulates the air fuel ratio's mixtures in one half of a revaluation.
    Ya diesel engines smoking black isn't good for the engine .
    So i got a pair of Mitsubishi inline 6 210 HP turbo diesel engines with ford bell housing and transmissions
    One is the 4 speed with the 4X4 transmission
    Other is a 4 speed ford manual trans with a 3 speed browny installed backwards .
    Direct , then over drive then double over drive ..16 forward gears .
    Call you twin sticks ..

2. My dodge had 957hp at the wheel. It got slow after awhile. To be honest.
    On todays diesels even deleted - the tuning is sooo much better there isn’t much smoke at all. And you don’t have to worry about the emissions failing and leaving you stranded with a huge bill and makes the motors run sooo much cleaner.
    My emissions has issues - dealer said it was fine- I was getting 11-12 mpg while I was normally getting 18
    Deleted and I can get 22 mpg if I’m driving very easy in my ford - the new fords can regularly get 25 mpg with the 10 spd
    719C53BF-3210-401B-9C19-582AE9C21E52.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. At night, on Michigan's fucked up surfaces...I musta been high....I was...:GettingStoned: luckily I lived to tell..back in 2007...

I floored it just past Miller rd. on westbound M-14 and hit 138 MPH in a 2004 Acura TL .....It's straight for about 1/2 mile then into a slightly banked sweeping right hand turn onto Westbound I-94...once I was through the turn and back to "normal" speed on 94....I was shakin...it scared the shit outta me....the turn came up much quicker at 130 than 70...DAMN!!!...it was fuckin exhilarating....and soooo fuckin stoooopidd and dangerous!!!
    Remember...it's night..on a Michigan highway:smoking-bong:

4. Nice, you think the drive train will hold up at that HP ?
    What HP was the Cummins when you got it from factory?
    At 975Hp nothing on the rest of the trucks drive train is rated for that kind of HP and torque.
    My KW ( the Miss Piggy truck ) I had Miss Piggy painted on the back of the sleeper .
    Had a KTA 19 Cummins engine ( 1150 cubic inches ) rated at 600 HP I could roll the rubber of the tires
    anytime I wanted .
    I had a 18 speed main transmission with a 4 speed auxiliary .
    I had deep deep reduction and double over drive on the top
    But again there isn't a tire made for a pick up or a semi that runs down the road for that kind of HP .
    Really do you ever come close to using that much HP ?
    Are you racing your truck ?

I worked on Tyrone Malone racing truck .. LOL the KW with the Cummins that had the whale in the back was my puppy.
    All 12v 71 Detroit
    TYRONES MALONES KENWORTH "SUPER BOSS" DRAGRACING SEMI - YouTube
    Scroll half way through.
    Most off the Cummins Diesels I worked on was in mining
    The KTTA 50 were 2000 HP and above , they would 15.000 hrs before being swung .
    In my day the out of frame overhauls had to last 300.000 or 15.000 hours.
    It was all about how to make the the equipment last .
    TYRONE MALONES LITTLE IRVY-FROZEN WHALE HAULER TRUCKS-SEE THE FROZEN WHALE - YouTube

5. My 04 Ram with the 5.9 310 HP I get 22 to 29 MPG at 65 MPH empty .
    Pulling the 5th wheel and boat at the same time I get about 9 to 12 MPG. at 65 mph

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ran across the country with it. Ran 11.1@126 mph - sold it to guy in Texas - changed injectors and ran a 10.6

trqns didn’t like life at time but never had any issues with the rest of the drive train. Stock bottom end as well. 4 door 2500 Larime loaded leather sunroof

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Overhere at the other side of the world we have Germany in the center of all Europe countries.
    Germany has the autobahn with no speed limit.

only there where there is work at the road or an exit.
    But any piece of highway you can floor it and see what your car can do.
    Every car I had I drove for thousands of miles through Germany.
    And all the time you are going as fast as you can.

wich means that super sport cars will pass left lane with 100 km faster even if you drive 250 km/hour.

every big turn on these fantastic highways you can take with max speed.
    There are some intersections with city’s that are dangerous.
    But then everybody is slower.

this speed driving together is normal overhere, but if accidents happen, there are crashes that are very very serious.
    And cars are reduced to cabinet size. And you are squeezed into a metal box. Between trucks.
    People die with ease in accidents every week.

so you better trust your car and your driving skills.
    I love driving at nighttime in Germany.
    If I go to Polen or Kroatië we take off.
    And fly at night and burn fuel like madd.

in the Netherlands where I am from there is a heavy speed limit.
    And if you go faster you pay.
    You pay a lot overhere for tickets. And there are speed cameras every mile.
    So for us the autobahn is driving freedom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. My 04 ram heavy duty 2500 that just turned 100.000 mile on it :love-m3j:
    I can see me now pulling my Montana 5th with a truck with a 1000 hp
    LOL I dont think the trailer would handle it.

Take this for what its worth I started off working on semi trucks for Cummins 1979 .
    I worked all phases of rebuilding and repairing Cummings Diesel engine.
    From water pumps and turbo's to the air compressor and fan hubs and more .
    I also did the machine work on the Counter bores and line boring the V20's
    On every truck we had in, where someone thought they knew more about a Cummins engine
    and decided to get more HP then what that engine was rated for from the factory showed issues inside the engine ..
    Mainly the pistons and the cam shafts.
    The trick was to back of the injector screw from 60 inch pounds to 50 or even 45 inch pounds .
    Put washers inside the fuel pump which raised the rail pressure .
    When you give the injector more stroke you allow more fuel in the Injector barrel and cup.
    But your pushing more fuel through the injector at the same amount of time which raise the PSI everywhere in the injector train . those engine have injector lobe on the cam shaft .
    By readjusting the injector stroke and raising the rail pressure it made the pressure on the injector cam shaft roller from 18.000 psi to 30.000 psi .
    The lobe on the camshaft wouldn't handle the added pressure and it would wear the top of the cam shaft lobe off or bend a injector tube or blow the injector cup off .
    At the same time over fueled engines destroy the pistons ..................

I worked on some experimental engines for Cummins .
    The VTTA 903
    All we needed to do was to get the engine to last 250hours at 900 HP before the engine melted down.
    The engine was going in a Abrams tank .
    This was before ceramic pistons and we had all kinds of issues .
    Over all it was just to much heat . extreme exhaust temp gasses ,extreme intake manifold temps and pressure .
    We were seeing 50 psi plus manifold.
    The engine glowed almost transparent reddish white.
    Kind of scary being next to or on top of a engine glowing red hot and working on it ,

Bottom line I not interested in hoping up my Cummins diesel

I still have a hand full of diesel engines
    2 matched Mitsubishi inline 6 turbo charge 200 HP engines with ford 4 speed transmissions and a 3 speed axillary transmission .
    I have a big cam 855 that is 475 hp twin turbo with hydraulic variable timing as a pump test unit on a trailer .

I am wanting to make the first twin engine diesel rat rod
    I have a machine shop with plasma cutters and all kinds of welders

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Damn man I report for duty.
    When do we start the build.
    Like your style

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Where i live is remote :love-m3j:
    At night the road from Winnemucca NV to Lake view Oregon is 211 miles without a open gas stations
    One part of the two lane road is as straight as far as the eye can see .
    You can go as fast as you dare .
    No cops ... just need to watch out for the local wildlife and the cattle.
    So you feel like being a cowboy :yay:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Looking for the right chassis

• Like Like x 2
  12. Love it.
    Sounds like freedom to me.

13. I want to do a dually rear axle which I have with the the 3 speed axillary transmission behind a ford 4 speed or 5 speed.
    Air bags and i want to be able to lower the rat rod to the ground
    Not sure how link the engines together
    I was thinking of giving advanced adaptors a call

14. I do live close to the Black Rock desert you know where the worlds land speed record was made .
    Its as flat as it can get 70 miles long and no speed limit ...
    Black Rock Desert | region, Nevada, United States
    [​IMG]
    I use to run my Peterbilt Mid sized service truck that had the Cummins C model engine across the black rock full throttle every time I had to go to Hog Ranch.
    Gold mine out by Gerlack NV

15. Here in Mexico it's easier to go really fast on main roads and especially the autopiste, but if something does happen ... I don't go too fast now because I am really too old to be into it, and secondly, the cruise control disengages above 100mph. I got rid of the Altima 3.5 and replaced it with a Camry XLE that is a 'sleeper'. It doesn't look like much but with 275HP at the wheels, it is very quick.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. That is what I call open road.
    You live in a wonderful place mister.
    And you made some serious dust I bet with your truck.
    Very nice

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ohhhh wow men
    You make me crazy
    If I look out my window it’s only houses and buildings. i am surrounded and my weed is the only green in town

Attached Files:

18. I always ran Motorcycles. At one time I had a 87 Yamaha FJ 1200 fastest production made bike at the time .
    Did 100MPH everywhere I went .
    We still have cattle drives out here where the herd is as far as you can see.
    Also the worlds largest gold deposit Carlin Trend
    The Geology of The Carlin Trend | INN (investingnews.com)
    You ever get to the USA and out west .. PM me .
    I will take you out the the black rock desert . you can go as fast as your car will go and I will blaze you out .

Its all open high plains desert, At one time Nevada didn't have a speed limit per say .
    Me and a friend use to do Reno in hour in a half ,165 miles away in a 64 T bird

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. I can imagine the views. And your smile in a 64 T bird to Reno.

it has been a long long time for me.
    I used to play basketball when I was a young buck.
    Went to the states in 1989 and we were champions back then.
    I’ve seen a lot of your beautiful country.
    And lived there for 6 years. San Diego, Missouri, Oklahoma was my home back then.
    And I travelled a lot by car.
    Man those days. I miss the usa every day.

4 years ago I send my oldest son to uh manoa the university of Hawaii.
    He is on his last spring break now.
    Time goes fast.

next year we make a big usa roadtrip when school is done.
    Then I will return to your great country.

• Winner Winner x 1