Driving 100+ Miles Per Hour

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by pocket biscuits, Jan 30, 2012.

1. First time I hit 100+ was in my 03 Dakota, I would have kept going but I was unfamiliar with the road.  Second time was with my 95 Camaro, had to slow down so I didn't miss my turn.

Now my friends dad picked us up one time in his srt4, he got it up to 150+...that was scary as it was night and on some winding back roads.  Then few years later his son bought a Nissan 240 and got her up to 130 before we hit the governor.

Once I get my supercharger, air intake/cold air and chip it I will be flying.  Just need to be carful as there are lots of cops around here, already had one close call doing just under 100.

2. Yea you're right. My friend corrected me on that the other day.

3. #1203 phildd0t, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
    You can train your body to do anything. I can guarantee you that Usain Bolt would never be able to finish the Indy 500, from start to finish. There's a reason race car drivers can do what they do, I'm not going to downplay what they do, but load up any racing game with max difficulty, no driving assists, and give it a go. You'll be in last place and be lapped 100x over. The slightest lift, applying the breaks .001 s too early, it's all about perfection.

And in about 10 years, all these runners are going to have severe knee and leg problems, unless they've properly conditioned and shaped their bodies not to take the hit. Tons of swimmers end up with shot knees because they develop muscles in their legs for swimming that you don't need for everyday activities. Unless you're running 8 hours a day every day, running and any other exercise will have negative effects on the body.

Humans aren't meant to lead a sedentary lifestyle, but humans today aren't built like humans were thousands of years ago (6 to be exact if that's what you subscribe to). Women don't just sit around in one place caring for children and the future generations, unless you live in a bigoted society or one modeling themselves after the 1950's; Men don't go out and hunt to survive for 12 hours a day.

4. Just topped out at 150 shit was fun I wanna go faster!

5. 145 is the fastest I have been

6. 147 built fox body mustang. I also got a ticket in that car doing 105 in a 60, that was the same night I bought the car, had to test drive it! I dont have it anymore, needless to say, I'll have another fast car very soon!

7. 135 in a bmw 5 series

8. 168 In a 99 3000GT VR4. 100-110 in my GS350 on commute to work most days.

9. Sometime in the mid- late-'70s I went 135 mph on my 900 Kawasaki (wide open) on a parkway, at night, DRUNK. I routinely took any vehicle I had over 100, and was always drunk back then. Nobody cared, including the cops.

Just this afternoon I punched my Corvette up to about 95, but let off at that point. I rarely drive it that fast (I'm old) but once in a while I still have to. I guess the addiction never really goes away.

10. Old and own a Vette? I bet it's auto.

11. Absofrigginlutely.

I've been shifting all my life and I'm tired of it. My Vette has auto, climate control, heated seats, electronic everything, stock (quiet) exhaust, and I hardly ever take the top off cuz I don't like wind blowing on me anymore. I like it quiet and comfortable.

When I was young, me and my gearhead buddies used to laugh at the white-haired old Vette owners with autos. Now I am one. [​IMG]

"Any man who views the world at fifty the same as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammed Ali

12. Lol I remember a fees years ago I was looking for a year or 2 old C6 and I was getting so furious finding out they're all automatic. Took me month to find one in stick and 3LT. Sweet ride.

13. I would guess there are as many sticks out there as autos. And thanks to modern technology, autos are faster than sticks now. The new C7 has an 8-speed auto.

My '07 is a 6-auto, 3LT, everything except nav, which I don't care about and wouldn't know how to use anyway. I usually hate technology, especially in cars, but the programmable heads-up display is as slick as cat shit.

A lousy Google pik of the HUD. It is actually bigger IRL

[​IMG]

14. Shit happens so quickly when you're going that fast, especially on public roads....no thanks.[​IMG]

15. Well back in 06 seemed like every 05 was an auto. I also loved the HUD of my 05 but I must admit the interior looked cheap. Also I remember everyone complaining about the paddle shifters I had 2006 model and them not being useable. I don't care how fast 0-60 auto maybe, around the turns I still prefer the stick, hell even straight road I take the stick all day. Maybe in 30 years or so, I go for a cvt or somethin.

16. Been there...many years ago (and not just once). Got clocked at 109 in a 55mph back when I had my '86 Supra. Ultimately paid a $125 fine after I got the judge to buy my excuse that there was NO WAY I could have been doing that since it would trip the Check Engine light over 100 due to running too lean. Was running late for work that day...pretty sure the thing that kept me from being given anything but a basic ticket was that I shut it down as soon as he flipped the lights coming the other direction and was waiting when he got turned around and back to where I was.

West Texas, had to be careful once the speed limits changed to 85 since defensive driving is not an option for anything over 100mph (or anything that is more than 25 over the limit). Same thing holds true on the Austin toll road...

XK8...regularly, but not for prolonged periods of time...in a basic one car pass running at 70mph, I can be over 100 in the time it takes to complete the pass.

And speaking of Fox-bodies...I dropped a cylinder around 120mph coming home one night. Actually got Ford to replace the engine under warranty because it was back in the days where you rolled the odometer over at 100K and they thought it was still under 60K. Hey, they didn't ask and I didn't tell...I feigned innocence and they told me a few days later that they were waiting on a new short block.

My comfort zone tends to be around 80-85, but then again, most of my driving is in posted 75mph zones...

17. My gps tells me my top speed was 119. That was fun haha. But yea cruisin at 84ish (thinking that 85 is just really gonna make the difference ahahah) somtimes ya look down oh shit 95? Oops...
    But yea knock on wood.... I haven't been pulled over just yet :)

18. my thoughts exactly.

19. it would suck to have such a low limit...I love our 75 and 85mph limits

20. 135 with my 90 Acura legend v6
    Was racing one of those caddillac sedans. He didn't like the fact I passed him when he was going 80. Almost fucking killed myself around the first corner though. Shit was insane felt like I was gonna fly through the roof of my car. Love to go fast.