Driverless Cars

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by DebbyDowner, Jan 9, 2013.

1. #1 DebbyDowner, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
    Driverless Cars In California Approved By Governor Jerry Brown

I'd rather not sacrifice the joy of driving for safety and convenience. Tbh, if you're attentive and know where you're going/know alternative routes to where you're going if there is traffic, you can get to your destination just as fast and safe. Idk, I think I'm afraid of some law being passed that requires everyone to drive driverless cars during my lifetime. I understand that some people are just retarded when it comes to driving, but I don't think that they have to ruin it for everyone...

Discuss.

Edit: n/m this actually seems pretty cool seeing that you can take over whenever you want. tbh, this could really be helpful if someone's drunk and doesn't feel like getting a taxy LoL opinion changed

2. They don't have to ruin it for everyone, but they do.

I see a future where your average car is a commuting appliance with an auto mode and a manual override for driving off of designated routes. I say bring it on. I'll sit back and read the paper on the way to work without worrying about idiot drivers around me, and take back the controls at the track on the weekend just because I do actually enjoy driving. Some people don't.

3. i can see this failing...

and people getting mad once they catch onto the next phase and how many jobs could be lost because of it... if it doesn't fail anyways

everything is transported at some point by a driver...i can imagine those driver wouldnt like the idea of there truck being able to drive itself because that really would ruin the whole point of there job

either there fired or they get a huge cut in pay because now there just getting paid to go along for the ride and be a mechanic/computer wizz...

4. yeah there'll probably be a lot of cons:

some of them can be controlled by remote control so they could potentially be just roaming around until someone calls for them with their iphone 23 LoL. goodbye cab drivers/transportation services in general

it'd also suck if these things could be hacked into or whatever; you're life will pretty much be at the mercy of anothers

LoL@the liklihood of a technologically consumed future
    #Didunabomberhaveitright?
    swag

5. That would be pretty awesome... call up ur car and be like yo bitch i need a ride haha
    i can really only see it being a win for the drunk drivers though

and the newer cars already have computer systems that people know how to hack to open doors shut off alarams and kill switchs... shits crazy

id imagine the same will happen over time with this... if its a computer its hackable almost like how that xzibit guy said in state of the union.. if it has wheels we can jack it all it will take is time

id say unabomber is right... were already in a technology filled future... everywhere i go someone has there phone out texting or on stupid facebook or uploading there stupid twitter or getting a picture of there lunch for instagram

and it only gets worst from here XD

6. people already have enough problems driving, i cant imagine what would happen when nobody can even drive a car its just sitting down and letting it go.

that seems REALLY boring...

the day there are cars with no steering wheels im just going to ride a bike or something....

i personally would never use this, unless i was going like cross country, and still then, id rather just drive myself because i like to drive, especially if its all highway....

7. gps devices already fuck up you hear lots of people driving in front of a train or off a bridge because their gps says turn right and their to stupid to look before they turn, but what if the gps in the self driving car malfunctions and the gps says turn right and bam off the golden gate bridge you go

8. #8 Fëanor, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
    I think it's great.

Sorry but people are fucking stupid. They fuck up so much more than computers that it isn't even comparable.

I can't wait for the day when it is illegal for people to drive on the road themselves. Vehicle casualties will plummet; I guarantee it.

For example, you mentioned GPS leading people to drive onto train tracks without checking. That's not the GPS fucking up. That's the person fucking up. A computer won't forget to check before crossing the tracks.

9. I would love to just get drive around. Then I could smoke sooo much bud.

10. This sounds terrible to me i like driving way to much to have a computer do it for me i will never buy a car like this.

11. It would sure make sitting in traffic nice on the way home from work. Just relaxing there hitting my Pax listening to music and watching ESPN on my phone :smoking:

12. I was reading about semi auto cars they alredy have that can judge how fast and far someone is a head of you and will break if its senses you getting too close..it can also sense cars in your blind spot and not let you turn into them..i think semi auto cars would be great

13. I presume that driverless cars would probably be safer, and I think this is an amazing advancement in technology. Either way, I have a feeling driverless cars would not be my thing.

14. who will take the blame for a wreck with a driverless car? What can the driver do, can they be drunk or on a laptop? When would the driver need to be in charge of the control? How do driverless and driver cars mix on roads? There is a lot of legal issues that need to be addressed for the driverless car to be a consumer product.

In the future there will be driverless only roads where a system of cars can wiz along at say 150mph inches apart and have no issues with accidents as they are connected to each other. You will be able to have one car drive you to work, go home and take the kids to school then come back to pick you up from school. Its a cool future notmuch fun but practical

15. This reminds me of iRobot. :)

16. I agree OP. This is bad because, eventually, if driverless cars continue to be a trend and a real innovation then it will be driverless buses, and so on until cars aren't even a factor.

It will just be giant juggernaught wagons driving people everywhere by computer. And nobody will know the feel of a v8 engine manual drive car

Unfortunately, just using logical reasoning, if oil runs out and global warming is a problem it sounds like that's the way things will go anyway

:(

17. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVrJ8DxECbg]Drive Thru Invisible Driver Prank - YouTube[/ame]
    There's a real driverless car :p for real, though. That video is funny as hell

18. auto drive with a manual mode is were its at chill smoke weed relax while on auto goto the track kick on manual and have some fun

19. as long as its a dual clutch than yah, otherwise manual modes on autos are severely lacking. They typically dont shift instantly, dont rev match, still have the power loss from being an automatic etc. Its pretty much just letting you control the shift points.

20. They may not shift instantly, but it's a hell of a lot faster than a manual. Also most autos don't even let you control the shift point; most will shift automatically once you hit the redline.

Back to the topic of driverless cars...I'm all for it, except on empty highways or mountain roads. Less traffic, less accidents, less pollution, faster travel times