Driver recommendations please

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Megadethcloud, Sep 16, 2019.

1. I've got some colored 3w diodes on the way. Blue, royal blue, and cyan. My plan is to do two separate strips. I would like to do three of each color for a total of nine diodes per strip. I would like to run both on the same driver if possible. Each diode is 3.2-3.4 volts and 700ma. I would like to run each set of nine in series also. If I have to run less than nine per strip that'd be ok too I guess. I'm open to driver recommendations please and thanks.

2. 20190915_221951.jpg
    I use these dc to dc power supplies for my strips you can wire this into the dc side of your 96s and use your existing driver

3. That's cool as shit. Wish I would've had my colored strip idea sooner. The way I wired my 96s isnt permanent but I did use butt connectors and shrink tubing. I would almost rather just get a separate driver but that is very tempting. I was thinking maybe I could get an LRS-50-24 and run two, 7 diode series circuits, in parallel with each other? I really like your idea though.

4. They only cost like $6 maybe $7. They even have a lead to wire in a potentiometer

5. I definitely appreciate you throwing me an alternative option. I very well might go with it. That'd be one less plug to find a home for.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm not familiar with the individual diodes 700ma and your stated voltage is that the absolute max ? forward voltage ?

7. Do you have a pic of how you wired yours in? I'm curious how it's done with those little pins on it.

8. I'm away from them right now but they actually have 4" wire leads on them 2 positive wires in and out , 2 negative wires in and out and a 5th lead for a potentiometer to be wired in if wanted.
    I connect the input side directly to the driver output side. I have wagos with multiple ports hooked up to my drivers output side and I just add them there.
    Its exactly like if you wired another light in parallel to same driver.
    I'll get a picture this evening.

9. I got ya. The one I looked up didnt have any lead wires,just tiny pins. No pic needed....your explanation is on point.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I looked at those diodes it said the 3.2 to 3.4 is the forward voltage and the 700ma is the forward current.
    Let me know what you choose. I'm curious now.

11. I got the blue,royal blue,and cyan. They should be here this week. At first I thought they were knock-off brand but come to find out they're Epistar,they should be decent. I think I'm going to do two strips of 7 diodes each. 3 royal blue,2 blue,and 2 cyan per strip. If anything it should be a fun build.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. On second thought, could I see a picture of how you did the LDD 700hw wiring to your driver? I'm curious about the dimmer? Which kind did you use? I was thinking of also wiring in a mini voltmeter since I have a bunch of brand new ones from when I used to build vape mods. Thanks

13. I'm not running any strips right now but you can see what happens there. I have not wired in a potentiometer yet . I didn't know they were set up for one when I bought so I just bought a handful of these at different currents
    156878013628244176290665340437.jpg

14. Thanks. I wonder if they're factory set to the highest voltage? I wont need to dim them as many as I'll be running but I just want to make sure I'm getting all the voltage.

15. Yeah they supply the correct voltage as long as it's in range something like 2 -52 volts . They are really just miniature constant current drivers they will supply the specified ma.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Oh sweet. So maybe I'll just wire in a dimmer fer tha heck of it then. I like all wires to have a home, lol. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1