Drink of the GODS!

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Kamasutra, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I live in Peru. Its huge in Paraguay and the adjacent countries like you said but its virtually everywhere in South America. Its the most popular beverage after water in SA. Lots of people enjoy the coffee like effects AND a whole lot of nutrients that come with it, that coffee doesn't have.

From what I know, mate comes from a Quechua word (one of the official languages of Peru, along side Castillian and Aymara) and the Guarani natives of Paraguay were fervent drinkers of mate. The Spanish conquistadors picked up the habit after seeing the natives of the region drink it.

2. Waiting for my cup to cool down before I begin sippage.

I got the guayaki stuff in teabags.

3. flavored or plain?

How was it?

4. In high school I had a good friend from Chile. We used to walk out into the woods and smoke and drink mate. Definitely brought us together. We'd have those all-inclusive conversations where you just talk about whatever for hours. Some of the most significant ideals I hold myself to were discovered while drinking mate.

It's great stuff.

5. It's just plain organic. But I added a lid full of milk into it, and it tasted amazing. Definitely felt a coffee like buzz, but I didn't have a caffeine crash, nor did it make me piss like a horse.

Smells, and tastes fucking great.

6. Amazing guys! So glad to hear that new people are trying it. I dunno if you all are into making youtube videos, but if any of you ever want to make a video of your mate experience/ write about let me know, and I'll get you up on my mate website.

7. I'm drinking some right now. Loose leaf, Cruz de Malta I think its called, from Argentina. Great stuff :)

8. shops overprice it here, they sell 50 grams for 8 bucks at the hipster shop!!!!

meanwhile at bulkbarn, 100 grams = 2.50...

9. $15/lb of organic yerba

10. where do i acquire this?
    the only yerba at bulk barn is lemon flavor or some shit, and it's mediocre

11. I want this! Where's a legit place i can buy it at? Like what kinda store would have it? And is it legal?

12. #32 kojopolis, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
    no it's just tea well mate, any tea shop should have it if you live in an urban area, don't get ripped off hipster shops overprice it, you can get tea bags or just the tea and make it traditional

btw, i like your posts, you don't randomly post much so you pop up every here and there cool shit

13. I'm gonna forget that first part. Haha. But okay i'll go look there.

14. #34 tranquiltoker28, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    My friend just showed me this over Thanksgiving break. She spent some time in Argentina and brought it back with her. :D Apparently, they drink it like fish over there, lol. We did it exactly like in the video...she poured, and it went back and forth and around the room at times. It was sooo cool. To be honest, I would have rather sat around and done that instead of going to the coffee shop, which is what we had done just before. I had more fun with mate than with coffee/tea. :yummy:

I loved it though, and will be looking into getting my own bombilla and gourd at some point, hopefully recently. :hello: Man, it does hit you hard, though...it's like my whole head and upper spine tingled, and I got really talkative. Definitely different than caffeine from tea...there's gotta be something else in it besides caffeine. I wouldn't call it high, but I was definitely buzzed. And clear, clarity is definitely a good word for it. :p It can be bitter, but that goes away the longer you brew/the more cups you pour. Plus I'm a tea freak anyway, so this was awesome! It kinda tastes like green tea, but kinda not...I guess it's like a mix between green tea and herbal tea.

But kamasutra, really, no other herbs? I kinda want to try it with peppermint, since peppermint has some medicinal properties I like...

15. How much are you supposed to drink?

Also, i tried it today and it tastes pretty bad, got some Argentinian stuff i guess with the stems in it and i thought it was pretty undelicious. I suppose you get used to it?

Anyways, I love the gourd and straw - makes it fun to drink! :) .

16. I've had it before, it's ok. I think I'm too fat to feel any of the effects though.

17. I'm fat, and I felt them...

18. [quote name='"TheAtmansPath"']How much are you supposed to drink?

Also, i tried it today and it tastes pretty bad, got some Argentinian stuff i guess with the stems in it and i thought it was pretty undelicious. I suppose you get used to it?

Anyways, I love the gourd and straw - makes it fun to drink! :) .[/quote]

Damn, your bag came with stems? Gotta avoid that seedy/stemy shit, its just schwag

Try to get your hands on some dank yerba mate. Look for crystals and no stems/seeds ;)

19. it said it's to make the taste more mild. i dunno man :confused_2:

Is krauss good?

20. [quote name='"TheAtmansPath"']

it said it's to make the taste more mild. i dunno man :confused_2:

Is krauss good?[/quote]

ahaha I was kidding man. Stems are fine. Never heard of that brand though.. if you can, try and find a brand from Argentina. You'll see the difference. And if you can't find any, guayaki has some good yerba too. (I think that's what its called)