Drink beer for the troops?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by floating_by, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Hadn't really seen this mentioned, and thought it was very ironic.
    Has anyone seen these "Miller High Life" beer T.V. ads and billboards that you save your bottle caps "for the troops?" 10 cents for every cap.

I find it really ironic, and sad, how cannabis is demonized, and a more dangerous substance is actually being peddled under the guise that it's "for the troops." I find it frightening how ANYTHING can apparently be justified if it's "for the troops," or "for the kids." Even highly addictive, deadly drugs like alcohol.

Just wondering if anyone else had seen these ads and had the same thought?

2. I have that thought WHENEVER I see ANY alcohol ad. Alcohol ads make me mad that the use of a dangerous substance is promoted and the use of something that has never killed anyone is demonized. I do drink once in a while, but i like weed far more and I think it should be about making your own choice.

3. Haven't seen it but your 100% correct.Alcohol is horrible:(

4. I did see the commercial you are speaking of, however I didn't even think of it that way.. good point man.

5. It's because smoking weed makes you pretty pacifist. Our government doesn't want a bunch of pacifist because we wouldn't be so powerful of a country so to speak. That's my opinion at least. Our government did tests on all the known drugs back in the day. It would be impossible for them to come to any conclusion that it was a horrible type of drug. They would have seen the exact opposite and we wouldn't be so powerful of a nation if majority of the people are wanting peace all the time. At least that's how I see it. Seems logical to me.:smoking:

6. Its only addictive and deadly if you let it become that. Alcohol doesn't decide who you sleep with, to drive intoxicated, to take more then necessary, etc etc, but people do. Alcohol isn't being justified in any way, this is just some marketing technique that has been utilized by private companies for years to sympathize with the public. Its not necessarily deceptive as at least they are (presumably) doing good by donating the money.

There is NOTHING nutritious or good about eating McDonald's and you're better off never even touching their food, yet they donate money to children. Are they justifying fatty, high-calories food? And as those stupid anti-tobacco ads say, there is no safe way of eating fast food or drinking alcohol (like smoking cigs) and the only way to stay healthy is to not consume them.

Ohh the power of marketing..

7. That's kinda the root cause of addictions, however. People believe they can "control" whatever their drug of choice is. I was just making a point of the social acceptance of alcohol, and how in this context it can be perceived as a "good" thing. I am no fan of nanny-stating, so my point is most definitely NOT that alcohol should be made illegal (for the very points above you mention.) If sanity prevailed, we could see ads about "helping the troops" with cannabis for their PTSS or charitable contributions. We'd quite possibly see fewer harms from such acceptance of cannabis as well versus alcohol. I know it's nothing new I am stating, just making an observation about the irony of it all. ;)

8. Haha, yeah I understand. I suppose I'm already used to seeing so many ads of companies "helping" (Insert anything in society).

Target helps communities, Tide helps wash clothes, McDonalds helps children, Food companies help bring the family table (I never understood how, but whatever), Goldman Sachs helps the taxpayers.

Point is, corporations are sadly treated as individuals under U.S. laws, so they want to extend that belief and say to the general public that they are "helping" some sort of group or part of society so that they have a positive image.

We are both merely agreeing on a point, but no, as to your question, it doesn't really affect me because I find it too common. Deceptive PSA ads by the government and other "nanny" groups do highly offend me and anyone with knowledge however.

9. ill smoke a blunt for em instead

10. Yep, theres one right near my work place. When I saw it I said the same thing.

11. I would drink some good beer for the troops, not stinkin' High Life."worst beer ever". Busch is bottom teir for me. I can't wait to start brewing again. Homebrewed IPA with extra finishing hopps, mmmmm...beer.