Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dried flowers vs. Concentrates

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by UnchartedTerritory, Sep 12, 2013.

1. My question is regarding weed vs weed extracts. I have 30 yrs experience with the herb, near conniseur status, if you will. I'm hearing a lot about dabbing and extracts recently. I quit smoking cigs a while back and now use a vaporizer pen. My local favorite dispensary recently started selling pre-filled bho and rso carts that will fit my vape system. My concern is the quality of the medical efficacy of these extracts. I suffer from mild PTSD and associated depression. When I need to medicate I'm looking for something with a strong psychoactive effect. To avoid smoking, I've tried medibles with no results. A small piece of brownie or cookie that would drop another patient for several hours has about as much effect for me as an aspirin or a Skittle. So I'm concerned on a limited medication budget that spending the 40 or 50 bucks for the cartridge would be a complete waste of the money I would use for two weeks worth of smoked medicine.

Has anybody tried these preloaded carts, and if so, how would you compare it dollar-for-dollar against the traditional method of smoking the herb?

Thanks so much for any help. I'm a newbie to the 'city and looking forward to being a member of your community.

2. I've seen those pre-filled carts around here in numerous places as well. Never had experience with them though, so this is all information via word of mouth...but I've heard the Co2 carts around here are fairly weak compared to standard BHO and around the same price approximately depending on where you go.

If I were in your position, I'd pick up a separate vape pen designed for BHO wax/oil and be snagging a couple grams of the strongest sativa oil I can find (both in terms of THC % and Genetics leaning heavily on the sativa side or even a pure sativa). Sorry if this isn't quite the information you're looking for. If I can be of any more assistance, please, message me and I'd be glad to help if possible.

I've heard that the pre-filled carts are pretty overpriced. I've also recently read a study that suggests that even the cleanest butane contains chemical impurities that leach out of some of the parts of the butane container. Not to mention you don't know how talented the extract makers are at a particular dispensary . . . some of them might not be the greatest at purging their BHO. I don't think its anything to be too worried about, but its something to think about I guess.

I prefer bubble hash as its a water extraction and you know that you aren't getting any sort of chemicals in it.

4. Many concentrates in dispensaries (at least in WA) have been tested for numerous things, one being secondary chemicals and butane measured in PPM (parts per million). Only BHO I consume is 25 PPM or less which is basically nothing. I think anything under 5000 PPM per day is safe, but I want it to be as clean as possible.

5. @[member="Lahey"],
    Thanks for your input. My disp here tests EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, so I trust their products (one of my best friends is half owner of the disp) unquestioningly. Like I said, with my zero results lifetime from any type of medibles I don't want to put money into something that might not work.

Thanks!!!

6. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Again, I'm concerned about the cost vs "distance". If fifty bucks buys 3.5g flowers and that lasts 10 days, will that same 1g oil or wax give the same mileage?

Thanks for your helpfulness!

Most of the "occasional" dabbers I know will dab .05 while some of the "heavier" consumers will dab .2 or more at a time. Now, if you're using a vape, if I had to guess, I'd say you'd probably get about twice the time with it, maybe more. Someone who might use 1 gram per day when dabbing may get 2-3 days from that same gram vaping it with a vape pen or something similar. This isn't a definite though. My best advice? Buy one gram and test out a couple methods of consuming it. It doesn't take much to be feeling good. If you don't prefer it, then you can go back to buds or you can even go somewhere in between like getting some bubble hash or whatever and topping off bowls that way.

8. I bought 2gs of wax and it lasted me a month.

I smoke an 8th/week.

It's more efficient by far in the short term. You can get those mega stupid baked highs for a bit and then it becomes like smoking herb after a few months. Harder to gauge how much you're taking at a time though. I took the smallest dabs I could and they'd still last around 4hrs (mostly comedown/afterglow after 2hr mark) but still... I don't get afterglows or comedowns from weed anymore so it's cool.

I will say it just isn't the same as smoking flowers. I feel like something is missing, the medicinal effect seems lessened somehow. I'm guessing that's because the plant alkaloids probably affect the high to some extent. Anyway...it's worth a try for you. For me it's too hard to gauge and I'd rather just have wax for fun than to do a total switch.

I can't imagine cartridges being that high quality though. Better off buying an oil pipe and just dabbing. Or buy a rig for a bong. Pipe is nice to carry around though...idk what your state laws are though.