Dreams

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by devilsheep, Jun 24, 2013.

1. I've always had a very visual mind and I have vivid dreams every night that I mostly remember.. which is something that doesn't seem so common within a lot of my friends and it's always intrigued me as to why I dream and what dreams really are..

Share what you know about the human ability to dream and what is physiologically happening while dreaming. From what I know anyways is that dreaming is somewhat of a mysterious happening still.

:confused_2:

2. i used to have dreams about video games alot, back when i was  addicted to them. now I don't have any dreams, or they're just forgotten

3. Your brain is still active when you sleep. I took intro to psychology and they had a chapter on sleeping. Maybe a section on dreaming. Ill have to read it over and get back.  

4. ive been remembering my dreams every night lately. theyre always pretty relevant to my life.  i dream about hanging out with past friends i dont see anymore a lot too.

5. I 'm lucky enough to have pretty vivid dreams almost every night. I just had one this morning that took place in some sort grand theft auto type video game world lol.

6. I think dreams are mostly a mechanism to help us learn how to deal with day to day activities without the consequences that you face in real life. Imagine an early human dreaming of being jumped by a sabretooth tiger, it might not be pleasant at the time but next time he sees one he'll be a little more wary of it and then will have a higher chance of going on to have children. So next time you have a nightmare remember its just your brain trying to reach you stuff.

I also really like the idea of teaching yourself how to deal with situations whilst lucid dreaming. I get pretty bad social anxiety and figured it might be quite helpful. I've only managed to do it once, but almost as soon as I realised everything fell apart and I woke up.