Dreams, what are they really

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by TenMac, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Last night I had some strange experiences. I think a lot of people have felt them before but they are nonetheless strange. i felt like while I was dozing off there was a point i reached, which is neither fully asleep or fully awake. I was thinking or my mind was thinking rather, and my body seemed asleep. Even though I am aware Im not asleep yet.

While I was in this state I don't think I was puting in the effort to think, like my mind was jumping from thought to thought on its own. It was like I was hearing voices inside my head that werent mine, I didnt create those thoughts, but those thoughts were in my mind anyways.

As I went deeper into this state, aware im still awake, things got more intense. Now there were other people, uttering thoughts randomnly, calling for me, or othwewise talking to each other. All this and Im aware my mind is just doing this on its own without any mental effort on my part. All im doing is, as myself, Im noticing this take place. But on another degree, I felt like I was with the people and their random thoughts, like I belonged there and I wasnt going crazy or hearing voices in a schizo sense. I was aware I was awake but I was still in my mind with the rest of the random hubbub taking place.

I ended up waking though, I didnt doze off into sleep. I woke up and got up and I felt like the world was so far away when I was in my own head. Like I traveled to another dimension to come back to the room I was in.

This is my take on it. I think i reached the threshold of when sleeping starts and dreaming begins. I was having a dream onset. If I hadnt gotten up and stayed on my bed, i wouldve gone into a full blown-out dream with visuals this time. The real dream. Where I can see the people and go through the random actions. Before though, when i was in the dream onset phase all I could sense was the auditory element. And I didnt really have anything to look at like in a proper dream, neither was everything pitch black.

Anyways, I think it was really cool to experience that. I wasnt even putting in the mental effort to think about stuff, I was just rested. My mind was going through surges of energy the I could feel in a weird sense.* It was coming up with all the thoughts by itself and I wouldnt know about it until it had produced it and shot it off into the neurons. It was scary that I wasnt even taking part in my own mind.

*[By this I mean that I was sensing the energy. Even though I wasnt in a full dream, I wasn't seeing the pitch black back of my eyelids either. Like there was just a glow inside my head that i was straing at. Could this have anything to do with the pineal gland?]

The actual full and proper dream state, I would think, is the extension of this very mindstate I explained. I was just touching the surface, but when I successfully reach the proper dream then my privileges of noticing that Im dreaming is revoked. My mind would have to kick me out, I couldnt watch my dream and be aware of it, like "hey we are doing some maintenance right now come back in the morning type of deal. Lol

But then your self has to still be in that dream anyways and you probably wont notice that you are in a dream. You dont get the spectator status if you are already in the dream. Although some people do have experiences of knowing they are dreaming while in an actual proper dream.

MY main point? What are dreams really? I mean I noticed what was going on before when my mind was doing backflips and what not, doing its own thing.. Its strange, the random things that my mind will come up with made no sense to me. It was just random. And how was it thinking and producing thoughts without me, or my influence rather?

WHen you slip into the full dreaming phase, I think, like a windup doll, your subconcious thoughts go off and start unwinding to produce a whole scene, setting, characters etc.

Surely there arent other people in my brain, but how do these characters come up with things to say? Whose writing the script.. Because Im not aware I told them to say the things that were entering my mind..

All in all, I loved those moments I had. When I got up it was a strange feeling too.. Because when I realize how long Ive been out for, my room seems like it was a very distant place I had left from. My mind didnt jump back into reality and lagged for about 0.5 seconds when I opened my eyes.

Even though I would conclude that dream content is insignificant, due to the fact I was witnessing so much random thoughts fire off one after another, I still believe the mind is a truly powerful machine, and I think there so much unanswered phenomenon that would be baffling if we knew how the mind really worked. Seriously, I was truly amazed by that experience.

2. I think you experienced a lucid dream, which is when you're conscience but still dreaming. Dreams are the communication of your conscience and subconscience subconsciencely when you're asleep. Lucid dreams are when you become aware of the dream while dreaming and you can control what you are doing while still sleeping. They're amazing I can make myself have them sometimes by telling myself when I'm extremely tired that I know when I fall asleep I'll only be dreaming and can do whatever I want without being harmed. It's hard to do this because by falling asleep you basically loose conscience thought, but read up on it and experts will log their dreams and they'll teach you tips on how to have them more often. When I have mine I feel warm and tingly and floaty, almost an opiate high. They're a lot of fun, sometimes after I have one and wake up it almost seems like if it was real like trying to remember the night before when you were drunk and everything is blurry but you know it happened.

3. Basically that's the start of REM sleep (not lucid dreaming quite yet). I experience it quite frequently. At this point, you could start lucid dreaming- which is quite fun. Just remember that you are consciously awake and let the dream world overcome your mind.

4. A good way to start lucid dreaming is too try and look at your hands in the dream because often there won't be 5 fingers or look in a mirror because you'll look different and your mind will realize something isn't right, you could be scared awake or fall into lucidity. Again a hard thing to do because you're dreaming but when you train yourself to do so it becomes second nature.

5. i can make myself hear things when im really close to being asleep, like i can litterally make myself hear music, its cool

6. There are 2 main pioneers of this field of psychology, Freud and Jung. Freud was a psycho-sexual psychologist and Jung was actually a psychiatrist, but focused mainly on forms of psychotherapy. I'm currently reading "A Primer In Jungian Psychology" by Calvin S. Hall where it describes the basis on Jungian complex's, personality types, and aspects. Also with a crash course on dynamics. A ton of this goes into depth into the unconscious, subconscious, and conscious minds.

I believe that the subconscious is what's mainly active during the dream state, and to understand that, all others have gone to Jung for advice. The problem with dream symbolism is that it is a completely personal thing, and often times imagery switches around on us. The deeper, more philosophical us emerges in sleep, with mountains of imagery and symbolism. Whatever you do, don't buy the first dream book you see. Study the pioneers first and figure out your symbolism.

All awesome dreams have one thing in common, symbolism. Understanding this is tricky :)

7. One time as I was falling into lucidity and during it I heard the song "Show Me the Way" by Peter Frampton lol.

8. I don't think my dreams have any meaning or symbols. At least that's my impression. I do believe the subconcious is responsible for generating dreams. However I don't know if its just a scramble of thougts meshing together or something with a deep philosophical meaning behind it.

Also I read a while ago that REM sleep is important for developing memory. If we go without rem sleep for long then we will have memory problems and dysfunctions.

Still the mind is an amazing machine :)

9. here is the best way to lucid dream:

get a watch, set it so that it beeps every hour on the hour. whenever it beeps in the real world, look at your watch, and then look at it again. always where the watch, always look at it twice when it beeps (at every hour)

pretty soon your body will be used to it, and you will hear the beep in your dream and look at your watch twice in your dream

the reason this works is that the time will never be the same as before in a dream

it will beep in the real world, you'll hear it in your dream, you'll look at your watch, look at it again and the time will be hours different that it was a second ago

thats how youll now your in a dream

10. All I have to say is "fuck sleep paralysis!"

11. i find myself in the same state almost every night. i tend to come into dreams in the middle though. i do this through music. very rarely will anyone see me without headphones in my ears and i listen to music through my dock when i sleep. whenever i start to hear the music my conscious self "wakes up" in a dream. just last night i dreamed i was in a car accident. i dont remember getting into the car or talking to any of the people in the car, i just "woke up" to lou reed screaming WHIP IT ON ME JIM blasting in my ear an then headlights an a crash. i have that dream a lot but every night i "wake up" in a different part of it with a different song playing every time. would that be considered a lucid dream or is that REM sleep?

12. That's what does happen when I try sleeping with music on. I don't get in a dream but I will drift in and out of conscious. The music keeps on playing so the next time I drift in to consciousness its on another track.

13. i have always called that time when your kinda in and out of the dream not realy awake or asleep - fadeing dont know why just seemed right - fade in and out of the dream ?

14. it is different from lucid dreaming
    dreaming while you are aware you are dreaming is defined as lucid dreaming
    lucid dreaming is probably much more light and relaxed than what you are reffering to
    I believe I have experienced what you are referring to

it is as though there is
    - awake
    - dream
    - inbetween

the inbetween seems as solid as the awake while having as much possibility as dream
    it is as though you have woken up from the awake to find yourself at dream

15. foreel, i get that like once a week...i wish somebody knew that was happening to me!!! while im laying there paralyzed, i always think "I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD WAKE ME UP RIGHT NOW!!!"

16. #17 50/100 Smoka, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
    i do this all the time wake up in my dream thinking im awake then wake up for real, Sleep Paralysis is a bitch but you can learn to control it make ur self twitch or something thats how I do it... Ive got were I can goto sleep & in my dream be at the same location I went to sleep at I guess this is what they call Astral Travel dont know if the shits real but Ive watched whats going on in the house plenty of time.. We had a storm a while back in my dream the lights went out at the house, I woke up to turn my light on to find out the lights went out at first i was freaked out but you can get used to it...