dreaming in different languages?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by cannabiscat, Oct 9, 2009.

1. last night after my usual bong hit in the laundry room i went straight to my room and just went right to sleep. i only speak english, minus like 2 spanish classes i took in high school and i slept thru those. but in my entire dream i spoke spanish and understood it and everyone around me did as well.

how fucking weird is that? this happen to anyone else?

2. If you don't speak spanish then how do you know you were dreaming in it?

I don't think that's possible anyways

3. I've heard this many times, but you have to know the language to speak it. Its something that always inspired me to learn another language, but I yet to have. I kinda did once, back in the day when I was taking spanish classes.

4. The mind has many amazing abilities like the ability to subconsciously retain memory. This could be the answer.

Or, it could be one of those classic dream states when everything is messed up and screwy but it just seems natural.

Either way, I have shared this experience. It's defiantly a memorable one.

5. sounds pretty strange since you don't speak any other languages fluently

my brother's first language is English but he speaks Spanish fluently and after a while of speaking Spanish he eventually started to have dreams in Spanish. Same thing happened with a foreign exchange student who lived with my family from Colombia. She spoke Spanish but a year or two after learning English she began to have dreams in English

still pretty damn strange that you could understand your dream even though you can't speak the language. Is it possible that it was more of you understanding the dream more so than the dialogue? I don't even think that makes sense haha

6. I made up a language on DPH once...

7. He took 2 Spanish classes. Maybe that's how he knew.

I agree with this. We are in a different state of mind (subconscious) when we are dreaming so I think occurrences like this are very rare, but very possible.

8. Woah, I guess you have all that knowledge and sleeping while you were high allowed your mind to have a brain orgasm and allow you to remember everything you were taught. That's hardcore shit, the brain is very complicated.

9. i dreamed in what sounded like french one time
    pretty fucked up

10. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Seriously, dude. I think most of the general population (I HOPE) can recognize the sound of a certain language without speaking it. Durrrrr.

11. You weren't speaking spanish, your brain convinced you that you were. I've had dreams in Japanese and I speak zero japanese. It draws from everything you hear, and such spanish has such a strong influence on the US (assuming that's where your from) there you go.

12. I've had dreams like this a couple times. I speak german and spanish, but not very fluently. In my dreams I was speaking them like a native. When I woke up I tried to recall the words, but all I could recall was the meaning in english of what was said with a few words of the language thrown in, words that I already knew.

I think when this happens, you brain is basically pretending it's dreaming in a different language and adds the details you know (or think you know) about that language to give you the impression.

13. Is there a difference between Korean and Japanese? Serious question, I see no difference haha.

14. I've had some crazy dreams in french. They're usually about me trying to find the Louvre so I can see some art, but nobody will anwser my questions. It's wierd, 'cause the only french I retain is what I use in my dreams. Où est le Louvre?

15. Does this happen after you smoke weed?

16. this is kinda unrelated but i had a dream the other night and i knew how to skateboard and was pretty good at it. but the weird thing is ive never skateboarded in my life.

17. Heh, that sounds like fun.

18. No offense, but people dream about flying and magic, but that doesn't mean that they can pull a rabbit out of their ass. Either way, I rarely ever dream - I am yet to dream while high. I'm waiting to see how interesting it is.

19. haha i kno what u mean cause i have weird ass dreams too but it was weird cause i was conscously (sp?) thinking of how to skate ( even though i have no idea how to) and teaching someone else how to lol even tho i have never skateboarded (but i want to learn now cause it was fun in my dream)

20. last night i got really drunk and stoned. dreamed that i was dropping acid. now thats my kinda dream :)