Dreads

Discussion in 'General' started by sutats, Nov 19, 2012.

1. I'm considering growing my hair and doing dreads. I'm not planning on doing the whole thing as dreads I want to leave loose hair all around with the dreads.

Does anyone have any input or experience?

2. WTF loose hair around the dreads? You're going to look like a crackhead/ hobo...

3. Essentially like this.
    [​IMG]

I'm a guy but I like that style. Looks cleaner/more hippie to me.

4. dont cut your hair.

5. Not a LOT of loose hair, just a bit. Smaller dreads too not big fat ones. I'm 6'1" 180 built/cut so I won't really look much like a crack head haha. I like to look good so I always wear nice clothes.

6. OP pics or gtfo. Thanks.

7. Well I mean if you're purposely trying to look like a hippie go for it. If you're trying to get a well paying job and want people to look up to you cut it shortish or maybe pony tail....
    P.S. I'm not looking down on people with dreads but most people are judgmental and stereotype.

8. Maybe another day :) I look like shit right now I threw on my sweats and baggy t shirt and have been hitting my bong. I'm recently out of the Army if that helps make it more believable lol.

:smoking:

9. This 'look' can be achieved by growing your dreads out the neglect method. The woman you posted a pic of, did hers the neglect method too (only she never washed it, I would recommend you definitely wash your hair), and as did I :)

Also, prepare for an influx of judgemental comments and unneeded sharing of opinions. GC can be a cruel place :p

10. I think long hair can look pretty great imo dreads are pretty beat.

11. Already have a career drawing story boards. Work from home. Make around $6-10k per month. Money and a job are never an issue. Plus I won't work for someone who won't hire me based on looks anyway. In my field it's the quality of work you do. They don't care about how much school you did or how you look.

I don't want them super long either, shoulder length sounds good. I used to have my hair shoulder length but got it cut years ago.

12. It's going to look really weird cause the dread head look is kinda dirty/ messy but if your body is cleaner looking that's just hmm...

13. Yes I saw the video of her on Youtube on making her dreads. That's the method I would be using if I decide to go through with it. Definitely going to wash my hair, won't even consider not washing it haha.

14. werent you just talking about how some people are judgmental?

15. [quote name='"sutats"']

Yes I saw the video of her on Youtube on making her dreads. That's the method I would be using if I decide to go through with it. Definitely going to wash my hair, won't even consider not washing it haha.[/quote]

I would recommend you look at http://dreadlocktruth.com/dtforum. You'll find loads of helpful info on there and lots of nice people.

If you need any help or have any question I can help too. My dreads are almost two years old. :)

16. Exactly. If I wasn't in shape I probably wouldn't even consider it. But I'm in good shape and dress nice so I feel I could try it out.

17. I know some smart, clean people with dreads but the huge majority of dreads just look messy/ dirty. I'm saying the dreads look this way not the person.

18. Gotcha. I'm going to research and find a style I think wouldn't look all that messy and dirty.

19. [quote name='"sutats"']

Gotcha. I'm going to research and find a style I think wouldn't look all that messy and dirty.[/quote]

Neglect method is IMO the best way to go about it. But it requires lots of patience and you won't have dreads for another 1-2 years. You said no fat dreads too.. and neglect method produces mostly fat dreads.

Have you looked into twist and rip/backcombing? I think you'll dig that, you can control how many dreads and how fat they would be. But whatever you do... DON'T crochet!