Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Drama free Cannabutter for any level

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Pastivity, Mar 23, 2011.

1. #1 Pastivity, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
    I have been reading the forums, stuff off the internet, and books on the subject and have devised an easier approach to doing it
    I have also broken it down to the small scale so that people who are not growing pounds or have a QP of trim will be able to cook this as well without having to figure it out on your own :D

Please make sure you have proper ventilation as in open windows,stove top vent fan, anything to keep the odor down

I would suggest going to a dollar store to acquire the missing items as to not put a dent in your pockets

1- medium/large sized pot w/ fitted cover for the size pot used
    1- measuring cup
    1- mixing spoon------ I have read to use a wooden spoon. Don't know why but any spoon is better than not having one
    1-mixing bowl
    1- strainer---- the one I have cost me 1$ for 2 in a pack
    2- sticks of butter--- I have read non-salted but use what you have save money
    3- Cups of water---- either right off the tap or boiled but I heated mine up to speed up the process during cooking
    1- 20" plant trimmings w/ popcorn bud(s) if you want to add more resin of course ;)
    I am sure there is a little wiggle room if your plant got to be 16"-24" tall

Now that we have hopefully spent less than 5$ on materials given you begin with the same items I had or more lets get cooking

-Everything we do is going to be on Low-Low/medium heat on the stove
    -Add the butter to the heated pot and begin to melt it down
    You do not want to have it boiling like crazy just melt it away moving it around inside until it is all liquid or so

I did not dry my trimmings like I have read to do on one source but hey it is still going to work

Step 1
    -Add the trimmings/popcorn bud to the melted butter and saturate the leaves by moving them around inside with your spoon until they are all nice and wet
    -At this point you will want to add about a cup of water to the mix and cover
    By now the mixture is not or should not be boiling because of the added water so you can turn up the heat to low/medium to get it to boil again then back it off to low and let it sit for an hour

Meanwhile keep checking on the mix every now and then and moving with the spoon between hours as to avoid burning anything

-After the hour has past and the mixture at this point is greenish and smelling a little familiar ;)
    -Add some more water to replace the water that was boiled off during the past hour.
    -Repeat the step above one more time
    or a total of 3 times for the 3 cups of water

Alright so about 3 hours or so have gone by without any problems
    Now it is time to get the leaves and stuff out of the butter/water mix

-Use the mixing bowl and pour the mixture slowly as to not spill/burn yourself though the strainer into the mixing bowl
    Do not toss the leafy matter
    -With the leafy matter in the strainer use the spoon and squeeze every last drop of butter out of the leaves
    -When you are satisfied you have gotten all or most of the butter out,
    you could set the leafy lump aside to cool then squeeze it again to make sure all the good stuff is in the bowl

Judgement call

If you feel like the mixture is a little watery looking you can pour it back into the pot and heat up again for another 30min or so and this time you can turn up the heat to get it boiling but do not keep it on high heat

-Alright so the butter/water is in the bowl and now we need to cool it off
    Overnight in the refrigerator would be best but if you can't wait you could use the freezer to hurry things along
    Be warned that you do not want the mixture to freeze only cold enough so that the butter that separates and floats to the top is cold and hard

-At this point when you look at the cooled butter it will be greenish
    -You will need to drain the "dirty water" out from underneath the mix
    -Poke one drain hole on the far edge and an air hole on the opposite edge
    -Carefully drain the water out of the mixing bowl
    -Now that the 'dirty water" is gone all you have left is the green butter!!!!
    -You can store for the long term in the freezer or in the refrigerator for immediate use

Hope this was clear and simple enough for anyone to follow and good luck :smoke:

Attached Files:

2. Nice man, seems a bit simpler than the way i have been going around it.

3. #3 Pastivity, Mar 23, 2011
    The end result regular looking brownies hehehe
    For this being the first attempt and all I will have to say it was a success

Edit: Okay I ate 1 out of 12 pieces and as little as 5 minutes after I finished I felt a slight head buzz
    The buzz is still on and strong now nearly 3 hours later
    so I can only imagine more brownies leading to a great high
    The taste was great, no grassy taste or anything like that
    Gave me a little of the munchies after 2 hours
    I guess I could double my dose of brownies safely :D

Attached Files:

4. #4 BadKittySmiles, Mar 23, 2011

Once you've learned the basics on how to process your canna correctly, one brownie made from batch which used an entire plants trimmings will knock you out, in less than an hour after eating it!
    It's a good start and I always encourage people to experiment, but for now, there are a lot of issues here.

Here's where you could stand to improve your methods the most: Drying your material.

Not only is this important so you can better judge your dose/quantity used, but it is crucial in order to cause cannabinoid conversion, without heat-processing in pure oil for 24 hours. Converting the cannabibnoids to their active/delta form is required, in order to achieve the most of your potency.
    Under normal circumstances, we convert the contents of our herb, by drying it out with a lighter (combustion) when smoking, or a vaporizer. In their unaltered state, however, those cannabinoids are virtually impotent even if extracted from the plant matter and eaten alone, in quantity.

Only very minimal, trace amounts of glandular material will be activated when cooking wet plant matter, especially for only 3 hours. That is roughly the minimum, when using well-decarbed material.
    Right now, without decarbing and especially without even drying, (which is all decarbing and cannabinoid conversion amounts to, excessive drying, removing the carboxyl chain in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor), when you skip those steps, by the end of the process you're only seeing anywhere from 1/3, to as little as 1/5 of the effectiveness in your material. And the rest? It's wasted.. gone.
    It's not still in the plant matter, although there is always a bit of active and occasionally some unactivated potency left after straining, when processed properly; it's in your 'oil', but unable to be digested, without further processing.

For people who need to make the most of their meds, it's crucial they avoid such brief processing methods. Having material which is at least smoking-dry to start with is good, but even if the material is 'dry' you need to fully decarb the glandular material which takes only 20 minutes in the oven, reducing the oil process to roughly the time you've already used. But if you skip out on decarbing, conversion in warm oil takes place only after roughly 15-24 hours.

Any less, and you're just eating essentially raw glandular material, which is impossible for your body to fully break down and put to use, in the amount of time it has to do so.. think about how certain vegetables appear 'untouched' when they come out the other end, and they are much more easily digestible, than glandular material.
    Before adding it to your oil, you'll also want to grind your material to a near-powder. This releases the brittle glandular material trapped inside, creating less work for your oil, and less waste left behind in the plant matter.

Adding water, to plant matter which you're attempting to dry out in oil, is also not going to help matters.

Adding water is an old-fashioned/outdated technique, used simply to prevent your oil temps from rising too high. Many of us old timers, used to waste a good portion of our stash by adding so much water to our canna oil, it makes the process take ages to finish, if it ever does completely, without damaging or destroying some of the earliest cannabinoids to be converted and broken down.

What you need to do instead, especially if you don't want to pre-decarb, is use pure oil or clarified butter (also called 'ghee'). Clarified butter is normal butter, which has been separated from the water it once contained. It's important you don't have any water in your mix to slow down the process, it's just going to require you to heat the canna for longer and longer before it's finished, and that's not what we want.

Instead of adding water to your oil:

You can take two cooking pots, one slightly smaller than the other, put an inch or three of water inside the larger pot and rest the smaller one in that. And suddenly, you have a double boiler! And this is what you're trying to simulate, by adding the water directly to your herb to prevent the temps from rising too high, however it is much more reliable and effective, when the water is kept between your oil and the heat source, rather than blended in with the oil :)

Much of that 'dirty water', happens to be comprised of your -glands-. Based on the same principal as making ice hash, while your oil floats on water, the glands sink and fall below. Knowing how fresh the material was, that's a ton of hash that never had a chance to be converted, or broken down. Using water also encourages much more chlorophyll (unpleasant taste) to leach out into both the water, and the oil itself. This is why it is no longer recommended to use water, directly in with your oil. Evaporation and vaporization is a bad sign when making canna oil, and if you add liquid and there's liquid left behind that needs separating later on, it's a pain.

While we're on the topic of water vapor, steam and odor, you shouldn't need to keep windows or vents open. If you're releasing that much vapor, and enough vapor that you feel effected from it, then you're drastically overdoing the process and wasting a ton of your canna; besides causing damage to your remaining cannabinoids, you're losing the earliest, most readily available (considered to be the 'best') potency to the atmosphere, rather than containing it in your oil. What you need to do is keep your temps low enough, that your seal (which you should make from foil, if your lid isn't 100% snug, and they usually aren't) never bursts... a problem you'll have when using water as well.
    It is an odorless process when done right, but a small amount of odor if you can't keep it sealed isn't going to hurt anyone.. unless security is an issue, in which case, just seal-well.

All these seemingly-unimportant little hints, and steps, are responsible for all the dosage discrepancies we see today, with somefolks saying you need three times as much herb when eaten, which simply isn't the case.. unless you're eating under-processed oil/canna. It's a much more efficient method of consuming your canna than smoking, somewhere near vaporization in terms of efficiency, but with a more powerful result.

I hope this helps, I know you were looking for an easy method, and using the correct methods happens to be easier; no water to add or separate later on, no odors to worry about. You're making progress though, and that's only a good thing :)

5. #5 Pastivity, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    Yea that sounds really good
    This is my first time ever eating weed, especially cooking anything
    This is basically the same way I performed it word for word
    It feels like a simple recipe for anyone really

I have eaten my 3rd one right now and man my head high is now joined by a very relaxing body high
    I have not felt a good body high in a while
    I feel very very successful and my wife is feeling the highs more than I am atm and shes a heavy toker :D

6. Oh yea wanted to add that I woke up with a nice high still from the day before
    It was great for the first time
    I must of got lucky or something ;)

7. Make some!!!!

8. bit of a newb question but are there any issues with using already cured dried bud w/ the popcorn buds and leaves from a fresh harvest? Is 24 hours enough drying time for the trimmings?