Drain to Waste Setup - How often to water?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by lilmink, Dec 2, 2021.

1. #1 lilmink, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Threw this together today for my 3x3 tent. It is 2.5ft tall. I have hydroton in the pot and then two blocks of rock wool. I will setup the plumbing soon. Just wanted to see what everyone has to say about this, any suggestions or ideas on anything I should change before I get rolling?

Edit: post at bottom. Crop steering ?

Attached Files:

2. where will it drain to? the floor?

3. Just gonna put a tray there, it is not pictured.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i see now a drain tray will be inserted underneath good idea put some blocks under it so when the plant gets heavy it wont sag

• Like Like x 1
  5. yeah after i posted i realized but i am high AF now

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Made this post and then realized I am not sure how often to feed. I have a res with a pump on a timer that will feed at certain intervals. How often should I be feeding? Should I be running 24 hours of light or 18/6 ? Thank you

7. If you don't make fun of me I'll tell you how I grow with 6-in cubes.

I do not try to crop steer. Watering without runoff has caused me misery.

I feed my cubes five times a day. First feed 2 hours after lights on and then every 2 hours. I stop feeding 2 hours before lights off.

I continue feeding for one minute after the cube begins to drain. for me that's two and a half minutes my cube begins to drain after 1 and 1/2 minutes.

I drain back to my reserve, I recirculate. I remove and replace 50% of my reserve every 7 days.

I know people better than me that feed for more than 10 minutes every time they feed. There's much room for experimentation. My opinion, the worst thing you can do is not feed enough to drain the old salts out the cube.

Obviously this method would not work for drain to waste.

I only have two feedlines per cube. I know in the picture below there are multiple feedlines but I was transitioning from 3 cubes to 1 cube in that tent.

I would never go back to deep water culture. This is the only hydroponic method for me. My water is not chilled my water is not bubbled. I do use a Venturi on my circulating pump to aerate.

I have one pump on a timer for top feeding. I have another pump to constantly recirculate the reservoir and I have a third small pump that pumps to a small tank with my pH and EC probes. The small tank drains back to my reservoir. This is so that the levels changing in the reservoir do not affect my probes.

I hope this makes sense.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Awesome appreciate the advice. Definitely like the recirculation method you use. I hate wasting nutes. Very good tip on pushing old salts out I did not know about that. I will keep an eye on things.