Dragonforce, eh?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by geetardude, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Hey,

Yea I was just introduced to this band a while back, by one of my best friends who's absolutely convinced they are the greatest thing ever. They have some interesting songs, however, the guitar playing seems to be nothing more than improvised speed. Although the guitarists are amazingly fast... Lead singer sounds like the singer for Yngwie Malmsteen's shit. I think they're really talented.. too much overemphasis of " mindless shredding" comes to mind. Still in the decision-making period on whether I really like this band.. Any thoughts? Peace.

-Timmy
    "Making music is a virus, fortunately there is no cure."

2. My opinion: I dig the guitar, not the singer. The lyrical content... it's okay, but then, it's not.

Mixed opinions, I have a few songs downloaded that I think are alright.

3. killer musicians, terrible songwriters.

4. my friends showed me a music vid by them on ON DEMAND and it was fucking sick, those dudes play the guitar crazy fast-fun to listen to while baked

5. They're decent.

I like their guitarists-rippin' solos, but the vox and lyrics are cheesy for sure, but that's power metal for you :p .

6. Ehhh, it's not really my thing. It's too happy and goofy. I can't help but get into the songs whenever I hear them on the radio, but if I ever bought a CD I couldn't picture myself listening to it more than twice. Like someone said above; they're just not the best songwriters. Plus it all sounds the same.

7. i love dragon force so...damn...much, lol! to me they're the best band MUSICALLY i've ever heard, i wish i could rip up those scales like that... but like you guys said... lyrically...its kinda dumb, lol!

8. I saw them live and now I hate them.

Sure, they're fast, but they lack MUSICAL talent. Every song sounds the same. The drummer plays about 4 different drum beats through the whole album. The guitar solo's are good, but lack any variety in rhythm.

Live, they are tools. They try too hard to fit the "metal" genre, and its annoying. The only person on stage that doesn't look like an idiot is the asian guitarist. Part way through the set the singer will put on a cowboy hat, point at an underage girl waving a plastic sword around, and proceed to say, "Lets slow things down a bit.." At this point they play a lame and unoriginal 80's powerballad. -I'm not making this up.

If you're looking for good technical or progressive metal, listen to Between the Buried and Me, Necrophagist, Opeth, or Cynic (very trippy).

9. I agree with ^^poster^^. I like a few songs, and enjoy lead guitarist Herman Li. But, there songs lack diversity from one another. I'm listening to them right now, and honestly most of the songs sound way to a like. Plus from what I've seen of live footage, they can't play live. There always out of tune, the lead singer is a tool, and the only member of the band I enjoy watching is Herman Li. But, from time to time there songs are catchy and musically they are enjoyable.

10. Dragonforce definitely aren't half what some people say they are. Their music is completely one dimensional. It seems like they can only play one style well. The guitarists are decent but they can't touch any legitimate power metal band. Also, most of the really fast stuff in their music is played by the drummer and keyboardist. THey definitely have a lot of tricks to sound way faster than they are.

I saw them live and they kind of act like dicks too. Both the guitarists think they're Yngwie Malmsteen, and they suck at songwriting. I was definitely really put off by the fact that while they pretend to be virtuosos, they fucked up more times during their concert than any other metal band i've seen.

11. First time I saw them I thought they were a parody... Not really diggin' Dragonforce... but power to them for the technical ability, at least.

12. they are nuts man. pretty good technical stuff

that being said, i find it tiring to listen to. a taste once in a while is enough

13. what technical ability?

I've never seen anybody (except the rolling stones) fuck up more times in one concert. They're all about being flashy and showing off, and they have no solid foundation to their playing. they just know a lot of tricks, but they don't have real skill.