Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. That's what I was trying to figure out. That's much better than just pouring the alcohol through. You should be okay with that but consider using more alcohol the next time in order to flush out more of your goodies. You will need to reduce it but it's worth it. Speaking about reduction, I suggest that you reduce your current batch from 4oz down to 3.

I don't recommend grinding your bud. I leave mine whole unless they're huge then I break them down into smaller chunks. The finer you grind it the more alcohol it's going to absorb that you won't be able to recover and it extracts more chlorophyll and waxes. I do like you did. After decarb I'll crush them down so that it doesn't take as much alcohol to cover. For the alcohol volume the important thing is to use enough to cover it by at least a half inch. That will ensure you don't oversaturate.

Have you tried it yet? :huh:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Yes it’s pretty good. It’s an indica leaning hybrid 25 %thc. Using it for sleeping and pain relief. May try your suggestions to reduce it more. Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. #1703 bfgkdn, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    I've been wondering about using normal strength vodka and distilling it. 40% (vol) is the standard strength here and it's hard to get higher. I have one of those Airstills from China (like the one PSam has). Would putting a bottle of vodka through that get it down to the kind of strength need?

4. You can get it pretty close to 190. I don't know how many distillations that would take. Google has a lot of instructions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks. Was struggling to find answers before but starting to narrow down the search terms. Looks like it's not recommended in those air stills. Might end up picking up some lab glassware

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Based on how much water is left when I distil 80 proof I'm getting around 160 proof on a single pass redistill.

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  7. I just talked to @PsychedelicSam . He's back in the hospital. Sam had left the hospital for a rehab facility where he was being treated for pneumonia and "rehab" prior to going home. It seems the rehab facility decided he wasn't getting better and he needed to find a place to go. With the help of a friend, an assisted living facility was located and Sam moved in. He found himself sleeping much of the time and became concerned. His blood pressure had plummeted due to septic shock and he was sent to the ER and was readmitted. He has suffered several code blues, acute kidney failure, sleep apnea, continued pneumonia, sepsis, and infected wounds. He's not doing well and is looking at a hospice situation as an option. Currently he's in ICU for another couple of days at least. Sam sounds strong. He's lucid. His situation is dire, however.

He asked me to tell you he's shutting down Another Tincture thread and Dragon Lite in coming weeks and the threads will be closed though still available to read/search.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I just got off the phone with P'Sam. He is still in the hospital, but planning to go back to rehab this week when space is available. Rehab will morph into Hospice Care for P'Sam. He has discontinued the immunosuppressant medicines for his transplanted kidney, and is making his end of life plans. He's continuing to enjoy the good food at the hospital, and he's looking forward to a bit more rehab, but he's not expecting to recover and go back to his apartment. He sounds strong. He's lucid and making sound decisions. He has a good friend navigating the way for him through the health care system. He's getting good pain meds and is fairly comfortable right now.
    I'm still wrapping my head around it all.
    He will be canceling his Grasscity account and shutting down the threads when he is able, so this thread will soon be closed to comments.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  9. News that is hard to take. Thankful to hear he is fairly comfortable at the present. P'Sam's friendship and knowledge will be sorely missed on this Grasscity thread. God love you Psychedelic Sam!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. This was just passed on to me by a friend of Sam's

"This is Tom, Sam's friend. I'm really sorry to tell you that Sam passed away peacefully at home yesterday. He had sepsis and his kidney finally failed. My wife and I came and cared for him as part of home hospice his last few days."

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. RIP P'Sam....

• Like Like x 3
  12. I know it would take much longer, but couldn’t I just reduce the alcohol by pouring the GD in a dish and letting the alcohol evaporate? And, if I let it evaporate completely, would I then have RSO?

THANKS SO MUCH for this thread and all the work you’ve done! It is so much appreciated, especially from someone with chronic pain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Let's keep this thread going in PSam's honor.

Yes you can reduce with no heat and if you reduce all the way you will end up with RSO.

I do recommend using just a little heat for the final reduction. The reason is the only time I've had the green dragon not work out was when doing the no heat natural decarb recipe mentioned within this thread. A little heat keeps excess moisture from entering and causing early separation (little brown blobs appear).

Long live green dragon!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. So sorry to hear this. PSam taught me all i know about tincture making. I can't imagine how many more disciples he had that he never knew about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. So, when the alcohol looks nearly evaporated, then heat in a jar using a double boiler? How do I know how long? Thanks so much for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
  16. How long requires careful attention until it reduces to the oil that you want. If you have it in a deep jar it may be hard to tell when it's ready unless you have a lot of it. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I generally reduce my dragon by about half. I personally just use the warmer on the stove with my vent on high with the dragon in a glass pyrex measuring cup (so nothing cracks). The double boiler is a lot of unnecessary setup in my opinion.

To reduce all the way to RSO you just end up with brown sticky resin that is difficult to handle and has much lower absorption than if you leave some alcohol in.

What are you trying to accomplish with this cannabis usage here?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Reading Sam's responses to prior questions Makes me feel like he is still here watching and answering us.
    Missing you friend

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. I usually make GD and take it for medical conditions (chronic pain, nausea, appetite stimulant). I like the GD because it’s potent and lasts a good 4-6 hours. I thought if I reduced it I could make a stronger batch so I could take less (it’s so horrible and burns) or get it to the point of RSO and maybe be able to scrape that into capsules that I could just swallow or something like that? I guess I’m looking to make a stronger product and something easier to take. I’ve been a smoker for 40 years, but alternative forms are relatively new to me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sounds like you are already pretty experienced with the tincture. I personally don't like to reduce too much as I find i can use much more product but without any noticeable increase in effects.

Are you are looking for a more powerful edible you need to look up BNW's hallucinating hash caps. They are capsules that he makes with coconut oil and lecithin to maximize absorption and liver transformation to delta 11 THC produces and much more powerful narcotic-like high. He uses straight keef as the THC source with are super potent. I use flower that has been decarbed and ground to powder.

If you are looking for something stronger try the canna capsules.

• Like Like x 1