Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. #1381 PsychedelicSam, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    You catch on quick. That's always a plus. I'm glad I could help.

Not yet. I won't hold my breath for that one. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hi P Sam!
    I just wanted to thank you for posting your tincture recipe and video. I've been looking to make some for a while, and just got around to it this weekend past. I followed your recipe, except that I used 10 g of flower instead of 8g. I stuck with 2 rinses of 3 oz of 96% alcohol with 2 hours back in the freezer between rinse. I used our crockpot to low evaporate, but turned it off overnight when there was still about 4 oz of liquid. When I woke up, pretty much all of the alcohol had evaporated, so the water bath definitely stayed warm all night. I didn't see any bubble or boiling at any time in the tincture. At one point the water in teh crockpot had a few small bubbles, but definitely wasn't bubbling.

I added 1 oz of 96% alcohol to the remains of the tincture. I've swirled it arount until everything went back into solution, and poured into a dropper bottle. It sure looks right, and I'm looking forward to testing, but a bit tentatively, as I'm a noob at this and have only been experimenting for a couple months since the law changed in Canada. I used my own crop to start with, so no idea on strength, but about 1/4g will definitely do the trick when vaping.

Anyway - just writing to thank you for documenting the processs!

Peace!

• Like Like x 5
  3. That's great to hear, greywanderer62. Yeah, things work a little slower with the crockpot but it gets the job done efficiently. Let us know how you like it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. IMG_20181231_174043.jpg Hey Sam, .How's it going buddy. Been following for a while. Prior to this hobby I was a distiller so naturally your etho wash tinture was a natural progression for me.

I produce my own 95.6% ethonal that is cleaner than any commercial alcohol available. At 40%abv it's like drinking water it's so smooth. Anyways I'm getting off track. One piece of equipment that I own that you may like is a rotovap. It's a rotating glass lab still that uses a water circulation pump to put the still and the recieving flask under vaccume. Lowering the temp of the water bath needed to boil off and reclaim the alcohol.

Pic shows the last tinture run I did with a low thc high CBD trim and bud for my 70+ grandmother.

Anyways that's enough bragging and showing off lol, .I do however have a question for you. Why do you advocate 24 hours in the freezer? While I understand what the freezing does in the process I do wonder if the 24 hours is necessary.

Also what is your opinion on fully purging the etho from the oil. Think this would be dry enough to vape or dab? Not that I dab but have been asked about it in the past just haven't tried it.

Anyways thanks for all your work and info that you bring to the masses here.

Yak.

5. Realized pic got cropped a bit. Here shows the receiving flask. IMG_20181231_174104.jpg

6. Howdy, Yakattack90. I sure would have liked to have a rotovap, and still would, but I'm afraid that something along those lines is about out my budget and space constraints. I only have the equipment I do have because it's standard kitchen fare or someone gave it to me. I just recently was gifted a heated magnetic stirrer and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. There's some other equipment I'd like to have now but I don't have anything to use it with any more so it would be kind of useless.

When I was just starting to explore edibles I found Dr. Jay Cavanaugh and read his recipe for "cold tincture" and for honey. He had written them years earlier but they weren't widely received at the time. He taught me about solvent transfers before anyone else knew about them other than those like me who could follow the logic and I was laughed nearly off the forum by "those in the know". They're not laughing any more.

24 hours is just a recommendation and not written in stone. It's a good round number (for hours, at least) that allows enough time for the material/alcohol to fully cool to a stable temperature if starting at room temperature. If you use dry ice that time is cut to about 2 hours. Freezing the material only makes the trichomes brittle so they fall off for faster extraction. You can choose to freeze or not with the only difference being the color and wax content.

If you purge all the alcohol then you'll get RSO. You can dab it or vape it or coat rolling papers but it's a bit harsher than more pristine concentrates. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have to admit I got it for less than 50% regular cost. Right place right time.

You're logic is sound and process is tested and repeatable.

Have you any experience or knowledge on filtering using specific micron papers to remove proteins and plant waxes? I know the process but don't know the numbers sadly.

Also did you ever end up going any further with the electric pressure cooker decarb process? Im in the middle of innitial testing as material is on the freezer. 9 grams bud from last grow. Water preheated to boiling and bud sealed in vacume bag. ( Jar would work too. ) .10.1 lbs pressure for 40 min and purged and removed at 40 minute mark.

Will find out tomorrow how effective it was. Wash and distill.

Since I recover my solvent I am liberal with my wash and don't squeeze but agitate and rinse a few times. I can start with 1.5l alcohol in the rotovap.

Yak

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don't really have any knowledge about the different filter paper other than coffee filters. I just never had the opportunity to use equipment that used them. I had just gotten a vacuum filter flask but then lost my material resources and never got around to figuring out which paper to use.

I used a manual pressure cooker instead of an electric one. According to my test it fully decarbed in 40 minutes but it took a total of almost 2 hours for it to heat up and cool down enough to open. Just using a sealed mason jar in a 240°F oven for 40 minutes or a sous vide for twice that long is easier and just as effective as the pressure cooker. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ok well it was worth a shot :p .guess it's back to researching. I'll have to update when and if I do find that Info.

A vacume flask filtration system is really easy to put together. And doesn't need to be all glass.

Ya with the electric you can purged it when done so it's only at temp for around 45 minutes total. But ya other wise the manual one would just be a pain in the ass.

I have a feeling my oven thermostat is way off and so don't use it for decarb.

10. The Buchner funnel in my set is ceramic but the flask is glass and both are fairly easy to clean. My hand pump is plastic and wears me out. No modern conveniences for me when good old manual labor will work (cheap). :rolleyes:

I use an oven thermometer to stabilize my temperature since my oven can be off quite a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I'm jealous. patroncigarre.gif

• Agree Agree x 1

12. Check your local good will or the like stores. Often you can get a one of those vacuum saver systems ( for vacuum packing food). one of these works great with a bit of modification as a vacuum pump for all sorts of things.

You can get a rotovap for less than a grand with a water asperator from china with all glass too. but if you watch craigslist and auctions and ebay you can get one significantly cheaper also.

above and beyond micron filtering for proteins and waxes I want to do a fractional distillate to isolate the thc and the tenpins ect.

• Like Like x 2
  13. #1393 ScissorhandsZA, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    @PsychedelicSam

I have been lurking over your thread for the better part of a year, so much knowledge

I apologise if I bring up topics that have been discussed and don't mind being pointed in the right direction

Would you mind giving your 2c here

-Do you have an opinion regarding decarbing (in oven ,40min @115C ) in a closed container (foil over a pyrex dish) vs open?

- I used fairly fresh (dried for a week after chopped down) buds, multiple sessions, about 500 grams total, pyrex dishes did not have foil in or over them, my oven had a thick sticky coating on the inside, did I waste? Or was that most likely plant oils/waxes?
    (I should probably have tried some to confirm)

Edit: ooh! One more thing, do you know if THCA continues to naturally decarb when in tincture form?

As a edible, my unreduced dragon seems pretty potent, to me atleast, 0.5ml for a functional/medical/mood enhancer.
    5ml for a trip around the moon

Thank you for everything you have done for us

Love from South Africa

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for coming on board, ScissorhandsZA. It has some advantages over just lurking but lurkers are always welcome here, too. And I'm always ready to give my 2¢ worth.

Your decarb is fine in the range of 115°-120°C for the 40 minutes whether it's covered or not. I don't normally cover mine and I've never noticed an apparent sticky coating on the inside from that. You may notice the bottom of your dish is a bit sticky from the trichomes, especially if you processed 500g with it. Of course, an oven is going to get that way from everything baked in there. As long as your material didn't get hot enough to cause it to smoke then that's not something you need to worry about.

I haven't noticed any difference in the outcome whether covered or not. The only thing I've noticed is that if it's covered then the material will be moist when you're finished and not dry. You should leave the top off when finished for the moisture to dissipate before starting the process. If you want to do that for the aroma issue then a sealed mason jar works well.

Any THCA that you haven't converted in your decarb will finish afterwards at room temperature. It actually will decarb fully if starting from none in about 4 months. If it's just leftover from the over decarb then it will complete in a month or so. The full decarb I call a "natural decarb" and it retains the terpenes which are normally vaporized during decarb.

Didn't I hear something lately that South Africa has legalized cannabis in some way now? :huh:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Thank you so much for the valuable insight, you have put my mind at ease :)

Yes sir, you are absolutely correct, it has been decriminalized, sort of a gray area at the moment , its legal to grow and consume at your private property, its still very illegal to sell, distribute, possess, transport or use in public, oh and you can't have an "excessive" amount, its up to the law to decide if your stash is with intent to sell or for yourself.

Same goes for seeds, you cant legally buy or trade them but if you have them at your house its perfectly legal. The common joke is that "a bird must have pooped them in my garden"

The law isn't that clued up though, recently a grower got locked up because the cops came to the conclusion that his hydo nutrients were ingredients for cocaine. . . Yup, you read correctly

I sincerely hope that you are doing well Sam

• Like Like x 2
  16. Well, that's progress at least. It's a lot more than nearly half of the US. It seems that much of Africa is getting on the bandwagon. I'd certainly like to try some of those landraces. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Howdy folks! Very good reading in this thread!

I have a film canister full of old RSO, about 5 years old! Would it be worthwhile to use this to create a tincture?

18. Howdy, SmokenWhisky. I'm glad that you've found our little thread to be useful in any way.

The RSO is probably going to be a bit degraded but maybe not depending on how that film canister was stored. Refrigerated or frozen would have been best with a dark cool cupboard as the next best. Room temp and above, oxydation and UV are all things that will deteriorate the THC over time. You may have a sleepy time tincture because of the extra CBN but you'll never know until you try it out. What else are you going to do with it? :confused_2:

You would just mix it into a small amount of alcohol, 190 or 151, stir it with maybe a tad of warmth and it should be good to go. RSO is usually decarbed but even if it hadn't been, by now it certainly is. It takes flowers about 3 years. If you decide to give it a try, let us know. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thank you for the quick reply PSam! Yeah, the sleepy time would be fine by me! I will mix up a batch and see where it takes me! I will let y’all know the results!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Mornin Sam and crew. Y'all know what day it is? It's Friday bitches. It's also production day. Currently condensing the ethonal to 95.6 abv. Will be running an ounce. Half for tinicture. Half for dabbing. What's everyone doing today?

• Like Like x 3