Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. This is kind of confusing to me. I have never seen a CO2 extraction at 2%. The cost of this process and equipment is usually limited to good materials. My question is what is the other 98%? Is this a diluted product?
    Am I crazy, or would you need to drink a quart for effects?

• Like Like x 1
  2. #1342 PsychedelicSam, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    What kind of oil did they use? It's usually MCT or coconut oil but can be other oils as well. That type of oil is meant for ingestion instead of sublingual. You can make hard candies and gummies with it but they wouldn't be very strong since you can't concentrate it down. It would be better to use it in capsules or in recipes because it really doesn't mix well with other liquids. I used to use it in my coffee and it would float on the top. It was still very effective, though. At least you know the potency. If you used an ounce of it in a batch of brownies or cookies you would know that it was 600mg and you can dose accordingly.

Be sure that you use a candy recipe that can absorb the amount of your oil that you need to use. That 600mg is for a whole ounce, 30ml, be sure your recipe will accept that much. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robinthecook and Psam,
    It is definitely a diluted product. I believe it was CO2 extracted and diluted down to 2% with coconut oil. All the 2% means is that it's 20mg per mL. It's cannabis oil from Knox dispensary in Florida. It's interesting you say that this type of oil is meant for ingestion because it's advertised as a sublingual, but it's nowhere near the speed of onset, potency, or ease of use you get with the Green Dragon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yeah, it's the distillate that's been diluted down. FL doesn't allow full potency concentrates. It's about what you'd get if you did a solvent transfer of 20mg/ml GD to the oil. Each ml of the oil would be double Colorado's standard of 10mg per dose. A couple of ml should be a good dose for many people. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Florida is still behind the curve when it comes to cannabis products. It takes every state a while to get terms and knowledge about the various products in sync. Oils of any kind are not the best for sublingual use because of the very nature of them...oil. Glycerin, alcohol, honey or agave nectar do a much better job of that because they can be easily absorbed by the oral tissue. Oil is going to mainly get swallowed and will still need to go through the digestive system to take effect. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
  6. #1346 Robinthecook, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Thanks for the explanation. Believe it or not, I’m from Florida. My pain management Dr has offered to write the recommendation and I’m still illegal. Can’t afford the cost of constant renewals so I can buy low potency meds for 40% more. (End of rant)

Topic at hand, I agree that most candy types are not going to get good potency.. to much oil for gummy’s and hard candies to set up. Brownies are a good idea.
    Another option is Robin’s Roasted Nuts.
    This doesn’t have to be too exact.

Pour your oil over fresh pecans, chose the number based on the desired dose and you can add additional oil just until the nuts are shiny but not wet. Preheat oven to about 335 F. Place about 1/2 cup of light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl. Roll your nuts in this mixture and spread out on a baking sheet. Bake in middle f the oven about 20 min. A great way to ingest a high oil product, and will keep longer than other baked goods. As an alternative you can leave off the sugar and roast the nuts in oil and salt. I rather like how the cooked sugar seal up the oiled nuts..

:jump:

As a side note, other easy to make food types where your oil will work as ingredients. Rice Crispy treats.... Homemade Chex mix .. alternate snack foods... :popcorn:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Let me add a couple more "alternate snack foods" that I've made when I was tired of the standard fare. mange10.gif

Honey Elixir Hokey Pokey Recipe Post 278
    CannaHoney Spiced Nuts Post 279

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. I made up some mouth spray for myself with that Biotene Moist spray recently as with my new addition to the family I haven't been as gung ho with dosing OR had the time to really have any sort of sessions.

I added quite a bit of the natural decarbed CBD tincture to balance it out and hot damn it's working well.

I am so close to getting dispensary access... I cannot wait to see how "theirs" compares to the homebrew creations I am used to, muhahaha.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dispensaries take all the fun out it, though. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. And rob you blind

• Like Like x 2
  11. Those of us in illegal states would beg to differ, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. They're more convenient but not as much fun. Too easy. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hello, so I'm back after buying an Ardent decarboxylator and decarbing my weed. I tried a sublingual dose last night and found it does not live up to the claims made for it. It is true that I'm using ditch weed so I had to use like 4 pinches under my tongue, each held for like 2+ minutes. I got high quickly but it was not very strong. I ended up swallowing the rest, but that's just the edibles route, which comes on slowly and leaves me still high the next morning. Still working on how to get sublingual dosing working. It's supposed to be fast and strong, like smoking but without the smoke.

14. I'm just not sure that the "snuff" option is going to work real well. Good luck with that. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hi, so I made my first GD a week ago. I really like this thread, but I'm not super impressed by the potency of my particular run and I have some ideas as to why:
    1) bud was too fresh - didn't let it dry out properly before the decarb
    2) sativa dominant strain - I felt the body effects, but the mental effects just were not there compared to dry-herb vaporizing, which is my usual method
    3) QUESTION - I'm having some trouble understanding the second run/alcohol wash. I did mine right after the first, but then I see mention of a 24 hour wait time on this thread and I'm not sure what to current best practice is. Can you explain in some more detail? Am I freezing the plant material separate from the alcohol again for 24 hours? Any help is much appreciated.

Otherwise I used everclear as my extractor and reduced the mixture down. The potency sure is stronger after a few days, just still not really what I'm looking for.

I'm probably going to try another run in a few days although I'm considering just making honey and butter for the spiced nuts haha. We'll see

16. If you could vape it then it wasn't too fresh and the decarb would have been fine. I really would have to have been pretty moist. It should have been crumbly when finished. I've used some that has been pretty fresh without problem.

The Sativa is the issue. You're perfectly describing a Sativa GD. The effects are quite different than when inhaled. It has been mentioned here a few times. I usually recommend an Indica dominant hybrid for a first time user unless they're specifically seeking the Sativa medical effects. It's really hard to explain. There are a lot of nuances to a Sativa tincture, though. It's not as much about an overt "buzz" as it is about just "feeling good". a lot of people don't recognize it as the tincture effects and just think that it's natural. You can get a trippy Sativa effect if that's what you seek. Don't write it off right away and experiment with it. I think that if you like Sativas then you're going to enjoy your GD once you learn the best way to use for yourself. This is discussed at length in my longer thread several times over the years because you're not the first who's mentioned it. I personally prefer Sativa GD. :huh:

You did the 2nd run the way that it's now mentioned in the guide and that is the official version. I have updated it a few times over the years as I've learned more and what you're reading are references to earlier times. When I first came up with this process I did put the 2nd run back in the freezer for 24 hours. I eventually figured out that I was just extracting more chlorophyll and waxes and I didn't want that. The first run gets the cannabinoids and the second one is just a quick rinse to flush the material and that's going to be the final version, I believe. Don't worry about anything else.

I'm not sure why it would be stronger after a few days than at first, though. Anyway, hopefully others will discuss their Sativa GD experience and explain it a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thanks Sam! The Sativa trippyness is what I was after, but mostly because that's what I currently use to manage pain resulting from surgery/rods and pins in my leg, things like that. When I smoke or vape indicas I become aware of my leg, and the pain, and that's no good. Sativas make my head spin though and that's good because I focus on that instead of my body. But so far that's only with smoking and vaping and I'm starting to understand that the tincture/edible route might give different effects for the same strain, so it might be time to explore some more indicas again. Before I had surgery I had a real strong indica preference, it's weird how that changed.

I'm about halfway through reading this thread, and have only gotten my feet wet in the old tincture thread, so there's a lot to catch up on. So I'll keep reading while I experiment and let you know how things go. Thank you!!

• Like Like x 3
  18. #1359 PsychedelicSam, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    You can achieve that trippyness with GD but it usually takes a bigger dose. A lot of people use the Sativa for a daytime tincture that uplifts and provides energy and mental stability instead. There are a lot of subtleties to it and nuances. I think you can learn to really like the effects once you've checked it out a bit more in various situations.

I have a bunch of titanium hardware installed in various places so I know how that is. I definitely prefer Sativas for myself. I don't notice the pain usually. Indicas are best for later in the day or really heavy periods of pain and because of that couchlock or body effect, beginners with less experience can identify it better.

There's a lot of feedback here from a lot of different people to help give you a better understanding but personal experience is best. Just be careful not to run up your tolerance. :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Hi all,

So, I started a flash fire yesterday - sharing at my own embarrassment because it's important to remember that this stuff is flammable!!!

Safety has been well covered by the pros here on this thread, but things got very real for me when my jar shattered. Suddenly my gas stovetop and my clothes were ablaze! Good thing I had flour on hand and could get my PJ's off and onto the floor quickly.

I think at some point during the reduction a crack formed in the bottom of the jar. I failed to notice. Then I reconstituted it on the stove and foolishly picked up my jar to check out the final product before turning off the burner.

I have gotten very good, potent results from the 151 tincture (thanks, PSam!), so I would definitely recommend it and my only caveat is be careful. Especially if you are a little klutzy or distractible like me.

If I give this another go, I will be using my crockpot with no open flame. Resized_20181030_134320003.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1