Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. #1281 PsychedelicSam, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    In some of the legal states you can mail your sample to the lab but only if it's within the state and not all of the states have lab services for the general public. There are digital devices that will work with a smartphone that have gotten good reviews. Here's a couple: https://tcheck.me/ & Marijuana Tester - Cannabis Potency and THC Test Kit – THC Level Analysis by MyDx

These supposedly work real well, too. If I didn't have a lab I would probably use this one because of cost. THC Test Kits :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hmm i heard mixed things about the self test kits. i.e. apparently with Mydxlife the same batch sometimes says 13% THC then try it again and its 22%. If there are any volunteers on GC i'll send you a batch and $ for a lab test.

3. Even if someone was willing, it wouldn't make it through customs. The third link above was the wrong one, a duplicate of the previous one. I've researched this one quite a bit before the lab opened. This is the one that I would use: THC Test Kits :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. This looks great, thanks Sam!

• Like Like x 2
  5. I am planning on making an MCT oil tincture and am a bit confused. I am using concentrate and if I was making oil for cooking I would just mix the warm, decarbed concentrate with the oil. Is a solvent transfer preferred or an unnecessary extra step for my MCT oil?

6. I think since your using concentrate no need for alcohol solvent transfer! I have gone directly into coconut oil from decarbed wax!

• Like Like x 2
  7. There's no need for alcohol to infuse any oil with decarbed concentrate; just a little heat. :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Yeah, tincture 101. It's been awhile and I want to have my process firmly in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey Sam, I posted this else where but wanted your thoughts:

So I recently made my 2nd batch of cream for joint and Fibromyalga pain. I made a tincture from 200 mg CBD crystals and about 1/2 gram of 90% oil then added to 4 ounces of skin cream. I found it works well, but tonight I was in pain and my daughter rubbed it all over my spine and neck.

I couldn't keep my eyes open after and slept for two hours. Woke up feeling high and my daughter comes and tells me that she got high on the hand cream.... Had couch lock.

I've been using for a couple of days and works very well and realized it was taking less vape to get high, but can it be possible to get high off a topical?
    :thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. There's some thought that it's possible if there's enough concentration and I've thought that but it's the relaxation from the cannabis that causes that effect. I suppose some might think of it as a "body high" but that's one of the things it's supposed to do. The added CBD may have some effect.

A lot of people need to use gloves when they wring out extracted oil with their hands or when wringing out your GD the same way. If they don't, they will get strong effects from the topical transference. It boils down to science says "no" and people say "yes" from personal experience. egyptien2 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 4
  11. Really glad to hear that I'm not alone thinking this. I wonder if Storm Crow knows of any studies on cannabis topicals.
    I'm always the sleepless one posting late at night.. Lol Thanks Sam! Always count on you.
    :confusedalt:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sam have you done anymore personal testing with terpenes? In my research I found this post by yourself and this from @boocoodinkydow, both of these helpful and informative. I suggest anybody who wants to get into terpenes to read through these posts and the pages following.

If i had 100ml alcohol based GD, would you recommend adding in ~2ml, does that seem like the right ratio?
    I'm thinking about going with something like Durban Poison for a Sativa and Grandaddy Purple for an Indica. Based off your experience and all things are equal; hypothetically you have separate batch of each do you think you would be able to correctly identify each version based off effects alone?

I'm super excited about the prospect of controlling the THC:CBD ratio along with adding terpenes for desired effects. Science is great.

• Like Like x 5
  13. I haven't done more personally because I haven't really made anything since then although I had planned to add some to my last batch of caps but I forgot. I'm now out of caps so I plan to do it this time when I can afford to make some again. However, there are several others here and in the other thread that use them regularly. There's a lot more commentary on it spread throughout the last hundred pages or so of that thread.

Yes, I would be able to tell and so should you if you're familiar with both cannabis strains. Even if you're not, there is a distinct difference. Of course, I doubt if I could identify a specific strain like a master wine taster You could turn an Indica into a Sativa and vice versa with terpenes, especially in tinctures and edibles and anything else using a decarb since most of the terps are lost in the process.

One good project if you want to see for yourself would be to use a 50/50 hybrid of some sort, maybe one that doesn't have much personality of it's own. Decarb it and make your tincture or oil. Split it in half and add the Durban Poison to one and the GDP to the other one. There may be differences between oil and alcohol versions. I found that with GD, the effects of the terps was very fast acting and that seemed to set the tone. Oil is going to be slower which may alter the immediate impression. :)

• Like Like x 5
  14. Do you have any suggestions on how many drops of the True Terpenes to an ounce of GD? I have been using a drop added to my infused coffee.

15. Here's their recommendation for 1oz of "carrier". It's 1-5% for that. For carts and concentrates, it's 3-4 drops per gram. :)

terp percentage.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Quick question, how much THC can the alcohol hold.
    I've been searching and can't find a definitive answer. For example, can you take the three oz of infused 190 proof and extract another 7 grams making it twice as stronge?

I think having a more potent tincture would save money on alcohol and less volume needed for per dose.

17. Oh, yes, that's not a problem. You're doing that very thing when you evaporate the alcohol from both runs down to the 3oz you've decided on. You can reduce it down to make it stronger or add more material. However, the material needs to be covered about an inch and 3oz doesn't cover 14g. You can use your 3oz of already infused GD to extract another 7g but you'll still need more alcohol. It would be better to just use more material with the initial extraction and reduce it down to the 3oz to get your double strength tincture.

Reduce that 3oz down to 2 and see the difference in strength
    . Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

By the way, the title of that gif is "Just_Cuz_06".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I used 3-4 drops per once, when I made my tincture
    I really can not follow that chart Sam
    How many drops per once (30ml approx) or am I missing it again
    I thought we talked about the number of drops needed for adding it to tincture.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OH and 3-4 drops really flavored it strong with some of the flavors

• Like Like x 2