Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. Thank you everyone for your replies, they've helped me out a lot. I was wondering, could you use the percentage that your shatter is tested at to approximate how much inert residue will be left after the infusing is complete? For example, the shatter I used had a total percentage of 79%. Would it be accurate to assume roughly ~.8 grams of the shatter should dissolve leaving ~.2 grams still floating around that can be filtered out?

• Like Like x 1
  2. That really is going to depend on how much wax was extracted. Sometimes you may get some of that when you add the alcohol to the decarbed concentrate. Often that is removed but not always but it's only a small portion and can be filtered out with no loss. You've got the idea. When you filter you may want to moisten the filter with fresh alcohol first so that it doesn't absorb your tincture. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. #1043 OneE, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Chances are (really good) at 80% its already been winterized.... don't waste too much time or effort or everclear trying to get the % up - its a losing battle where you'll just lose more % to spillage and waste than you'll reclaim. Its a real chore to get greater than 80% - and you'll pay dearly for every extra %.

Edit to add --- That other 20%.... I wouldn't say that it is "inert".... its the other cannabinoids and terpenes - things you DO NOT want to filter out...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Is there any sense in doing a natural decarb on tincture made with concentrate?

• Like Like x 1
  5. That's a good question, Joker. I think that may depend on the extraction method. Using an ethanol extraction would probably be the best bet. The other solvents don't extract as much of the terpenes which is the main reason to do a natural decarb. We have a concentrate company out here that only uses 200 proof for extractions and their shatter is really nice. I've been hoping to be able to get some to try a natural tincture with to see for sure.

Most people that I know who use concentrates a lot seem to lack the mindset to wait 4 months for it to take place. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  6. #1046 OneE, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Actually, I believe that butane does extract the majority of the terps..... the problem is.... they are lost during the vacuum purging of the oil to remove the butane. 24-96+ hours at 10-50 microns of pressure and elevated temps tends to volatilize most of the lighter terps. People tend to try to minimize the temp side of the process but max out the vacuum side. The several times I made bho it was always fascinating how good the oil smelled when you cracked the vacuum chamber - plenty of terps there at that point - but the aroma subsided as the oil got closer to being fully purged. Its a conundrum that the best way to purge bho is with a vacuum, and that the terps are easily lost during that process..... those terps are tricky little bastards to keep around.

If someone were to try their best to preserve the terps, I would think the best way to do so would be to 'shoot' the butane directly into alcohol to purge the butane out, and then use a gentler natural evaporation to remove the alcohol. Easy in theory.... but problematic in scale and time consuming to do it the 'right' way.

CO2 is a totally different story with too many knobs and dials to play with for selectivity for the different compounds....

• Like Like x 3
  7. I believe that butane does get a lot of the terpenes. I know that ethanol has a lot and there's no need to worry about the purge so the retention is a lot higher. I'd really like to have the opportunity to check it out. It would be great to be able to just make a gram of naturally decarbed tincture with good potency instead of having the expense of making a batch. That's one I've got on my list but it's a bit further down right now.

CO2 was mostly the one I had in mind for the fewest terps. Nowadays everyone's pumping in terpenes to make up for the lack. Unless you've got the patience to wait 4 months, it's a moot point. :mellow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'm just joining in with all of the others who congratulated you on an informative thread. We're new to edible MJ, having only done coconut oil extraction for chocolates...very good BTW. My wife's next project is to make a tincture, and your experience has been helpful. Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thank you, butchcros1010. I'm happy to lend my 2 cents to the cause. If you guys have any questions or comments, please feel free to voice them. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 4
  10. Slow down there Sam. I'm the $0.02 guy.
    How about you give 3 or 4 instead. That's my schtick

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. My Man Sam has been around giving his 2 cents long before you have been around LOL
    Welcome,
    upload_2017-12-31_9-43-54.png

• Like Like x 2
  12. Oh, you're definitely the 2¢ Guy. I just lent mine for the occasion since you weren't there. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Here is an avatar for you so you have a pic now
    upload_2017-12-31_13-16-12.png

• Like Like x 2

14. Sealed jar comparison chart.jpg
    Karma raw.jpg Karma 45 minute.jpg Karma sealed jar decarb.jpg
    Select Image to Expand

Because decarb is so important for an active cannabis product, Green/Gold Dragon included, I am posting this here in the thread so the information will be readily available without trying it find it in my larger thread.

For many people an open dish decarb in the oven is not an option because of the fragrance that wafts through the halls, for some reason or another. After all, I think it's heavenly. Nevertheless, the search has been on to find a stealthy way to accomplish the deed without announcing it to the world, or at least the neighbors. There's been a lot of different ideas but no actual hard data like we have with the open dish.

A short while ago I started to wander that path in order to get a better idea about how good of a job some of those alternate decarb methods actually do. I began with a pressure cooker and a mason jar and while that did fully decarb the material, it took about 2.5 hours altogether and it left a little to be desired.

Boocoodinkydow and CVCC in my larger thread began using sealed mason jars and we began discussing the merits and drawbacks of this method. The biggest selling point was the lack of smell but there is also the question about whether the terpenes that vaporize during the process will condense back onto the decarbed cannabis and retain their effectiveness, once the jar cools before opening. That will be a topic for another time due to budgetary constraints.

One of the main drawbacks of this method is that it can keep the material moist enough to cause separation when making an alcohol tincture. Best results are attained by ensuring the material is a dry as possible and can be placed in the oven for a few minutes at very low heat. This should not affect the terpenes or cannabiniods.

In my first test of this method I used 7g of coarsely broken up flowers within a 16oz sealed mason jar and placed it in a preheated oven stabilized between 240°-250°F with an oven thermometer. I placed the jar on the middle shelf in the middle of the oven for 60 minutes. I chose that amount of time as a guidepost to tell which way to go. It took into account that it might take the internal air temperature longer to reach the right spot or any other scenario that might come up.

Because of things that I concluded from that initial 60 minute decarb I decided to try a similar time as I use for an open decarb, 45 minutes instead of 40 just to keep the samples at quarter hour segments. I suspected the 5 minute difference wasn't going to be much of a difference. There were some big differences between the 45 and 60 minute samples, though.

Now onto the real news and hopefully it won't be too hard to explain. I have created a little chart using the lab results for the raw dried flower, the 45 minute and the 60 minute samples. The values on the 3 samples vary, some of which is due to the vagaries of testing, but there are significant differences between the timed decarbs and that's what I want to highligh.

The raw sample shows us that it has THC, THCA and CBDA with no other detectable cannabinoids. This is indicative of very freshly dried material and it's an open canvas. It's showing us about 13% total THC isomers(12.8 THCA, .3 THC) and 1.9% CBDA.

All the samples are from the same batch but values can vary from one part of a plant to another. I mention this because the THC value from the 60 minute sample is considerably lower than the raw sample and the CBD is higher. While there might be some small difference in the values, it's the conversion rate of THCA to THC and CBDA to CBD that we're really looking at here.

Good news is that the 60 minute sample fully decarbed with absolutely no THCA remaining and nearly all of the CBDA had turned to CBD. There was no CBN created during the decarb either. The other news is that the 60 minute sample lost about 5% of it's THC compared to the raw flower. That is really too large an amount to blame on lab testing and I have seen the same phenomenon before when dealing with longer processing time. However, it could have been lab related so I couldn't say for sure until now. That thought is that once the THCA hits zero, only the further degradation of THC occurs. I'll show you.

The latest sample was the same arrangement but only for 45 minutes this time and I don't think it could have come out better if we had tried. I won't really go into details because the numbers speak for themselves. We have just a little bit of THCA left which to me indicates that we haven't hit the mass destruction point yet. These results look a lot like the open dish results.

Now that we have 3 samples we can get a better idea of the average values of the material and it looks like it should be in the 14-15% range. Of course, we would need many more samples to say for sure but I believe that we can say that the extra 15 minutes in the oven caused us to lose about 5% of our THC. I feel confident saying that due to other data I've seen that this corroborates.

I'll leave you all to look things over and ask questions if needed. My brain is a bit worn from getting this together and I'm afraid I'm about to lose my way if I don't shut up for now. Most of this was background and the chart should tell the story.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I'm puzzling over something. I know that a tincture made with your cold extraction tech, PSam, will naturally decarb in four months. I don't understand why it decarbs on it's own when the same amount of actual bud will not convert and decarb in four months. I'm decarbing some shatter for tincture right now and it's got me to wondering what is it about extraction that allows decarb to take place? I've got two grams in a 240F oven at the 60 minute mark still producing lots of bubbles. This will be an active tincture, two grams of shatter/30 ml Everclear.

• Like Like x 2
  16. It's the alcohol that's responsible for that, Joker. The same thing doesn't happen in oil or glycerin. It speeds up the enzymal action that releases the carboxyl group and completes the profile. Alcohol is a reagent and causes chemical reactions. Oil and glycerin are neutral and act more as a preservative. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. #1057 OneE, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    I did a qwik google search, and to my surprise, I think the answer is here....

"Literature data on the solubility of oxygen in ethanol are very scanty; it was measured only at 25 The temperature coefficient of solubility between 0 and 25 is very small; above 25 as we showed, its negative value is markedly increased; O 2 is 5-7.5 times (depending on temperature) as soluble in ethanol as in water."

So... the oils are highly soluble in alcohol and O2 is too... free it up and surround it with O2 in a low viscosity liquid >>> decab 'magic'.

Begs the question of 'how much O2 is needed?' since its usually in a sealed container... variable head space.... I'm guessing the O2 is not consumed during decarb but is constantly 'recycled'. Also makes you wonder how concentrated it can be and still decarb....

Edit to add ---- this explains why the ISO3 is able to reach full decarb in ~6-9 hrs by basically boiling the alcohol with the oil dissolved. I would guess that the time that the ISO3 takes to fully decarb is the lower limit as to how quickly you could decarb in alcohol without a pressurized container.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Oxidation does play a large role but there is another action at play, too. I've had the data for it but forgot to bookmark it and now I haven't been able to come up with the right keywords to google it. I'll have to check Google Scholar. :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Happy Highs @PsychedelicSam thanks alot for your many contributions. I'm giving the GD method herein a go this week. Hoping to give my lungs a break. I'll be extracting from a hybrid sativa dominant varietal so it will be interesting. 8 drops eh? I'll do the sublingual but I like the 1 oz shot glass swish also.

The video was great man. Good job! Cheers :smoking:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Howya doin', Possuum? Thanks for coming by. I'm pretty sure that you're gonna like it. 8 drops, of course, will dependent on overall tolerance but in those new to the tincture it can be that low. Nobody seems to listen to the "8 drop" recommendation so now .5ml seems to be the trending point these days. Anywhere in between. There's nothing like a good Sativa GD.

Are you using 190 proof? :huh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1