Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dragon Lite.....another Tincture Thread

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, May 15, 2013.

1. I made some tincture by just running shake through a strainer (to break up, and remove the small stick pieces) and shaking it up with alcohol and leaving it a couple weeks, straining it, adding more shake, then straining. I like your instructions for reducing it to make it stronger. Please tell me, what is the reason for the freezer? thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    Hi, there, kelleygreen. I'm happy to answer your question. The reason that you freeze the cannabis is to make the trichomes fall off the plant material so that the thc can be extracted easier. It also causes the trichome husks to crack, allowing the alcohol to extract easier, again. The reason for freezing the alcohol is to make a cleaner tincture, the colder the alcohol, the less chlorophyll and other waxes extracted. Also, because it is well below freezing, when it comes in contact with the frozen trichomes, it causes them to crack open more. I hope that has helped, but the reduction of the alcohol can make a mediocre tincture into a kick-ass one.  :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey sam I will be following your tek for my next tincture!

I have one already in progress, I just ground the herb and mixed it with 153 proof and ive been shaking every day. I also give it a few hot water baths a day.  Would it be worth it at this point to throw it in the freezer? 

Also, when im following your tek, i dont have  a double boiler or any of that. What i have been doing for my hot water bath is using my electric kettle and getting the water to boiling. Then pouring it in a glass dish and setting my tincture jar in the glass dish with the hot/near boiling water. I will change the water with more hot/near boiling water after minutes. I can repeat this process however long necessary. Is this sufficient?  The jar use is thin too, its a baby food jar so it heats up quick. 

Thanks SAm and im excited to start working with this  tincture tek!

• Like Like x 1
  4. #84 PsychedelicSam, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Thanks for giving us a try, wegrass, and I'll be happy to help you with your questions. :)

How long are you planning to let your current project sit? I believe that putting it in the freezer after they've been mixed is a good idea. It is a key step in some of the methods and in fact, this method incorporates a few hours of that in each run. For the one you have going I would suggest 24-48 hours in the freezer which is why I asked how long you were going to soak it. I doubt you'll need to heat it any longer afterwards. Shake it occasionally while in the freezer.

The double boiler or hot water bath is only used for evaporation of 190 proof alcohol and not 151 or 153, so that's not something to worry about at this time but for future reference you don't need a double boiler if you have a ceramic cup and a mug warmer or candle warmer or a coffee pot burner. It's not as fast but fail safe. If you want to reduce your lower proof tincture, you should let it evaporate naturally about 1/4 - 1/3. When you evaporate off too much of the alcohol it will separate into a layer of oil and the water and sugars left from the alcohol and when that happens, you can salvage it but it's a real chore. It will still make a good tincture without the reduction, you'll just need more.

However, you can make an excellent tincture that has no need of concentration is you use kief or hash and just use a minimal amount of the alcohol. 1g of kief/hash makes a great tincture in 1oz of 151. That guide is in here, too.

But definitely put your current project in the freezer for a day or two. It can't hurt. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. [​IMG]Once again
    Sam the Man

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. #86 PsychedelicSam, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    That must be the one that keeps biting your ass. It looks a little devious. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
  7. #87 wegrass, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
    Awesome sam! Its been sitting for about a week, I will put it in the freezer with occasional shakes for ~24hours.  I will strain when im done.
    Thank you for clearing up the part about the double boiler, I will skip the evap.

I will be making the tincture on a smaller scale, the tinctures I have been making with nugs ive probably been doing the ratio you mentioned above (1g for 1oz). I might have even been doing 1g per less than 1oz ratio.
    *Would you say 1g per 1oz is the bare minimmum for optimal extraction and could I apply that ratio to nugs?

Oh ok 1 last question..... for now ;)
    *What is the purpose of filtering out the husks with coffee filters? Just for a cleaner appearance?

Oh ok ok, 1 more:
    *For the tincture I have going now, after I freeze then strain.... do you think there will be anything left in my spent herb? Would it be worth it to do another pull with this same herb?

Haha, had to edit this: 1 last question, I mean it this time :)

*Do you think my hot water baths i've been doing are serving any purpose to help extract the cannabinoids into the alcohol?

Thanks sam, your the man!

• Like Like x 1
    When I mentioned 1g to 1oz of lower proof alcohol it was in reference to 1g of kief or hash. If using buds or nuggets instead, I wouldn't use less that 2g/oz for any kind of potency. It might take a dropper or two, if you're ok with that. 

Yes, the purpose of the paper filter is to clean it up. If it doesn't bother you in small amounts, don't do it. It will just soak up your tincture anyway. 

Definitely save your leftovers to use with the next one, but remember that you'll need enough alcohol to cover it all. 

And, yes, your hot water baths probably do help since you are just letting it sit otherwise. The heat will give the alcohol some activity and help with its extraction. Do you decarb?  While your tincture may not be as concentrated as high proof alcohol allows, it should still produce quite a good effect, just have to use more.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  9. No I forgot to decarb first on the one going now. I will decarb the next one that I do following your tek.

I put it in the freezer and I've been shaking occasionally, looks good!. Ill strain tonight and get the next pull going.

Oh, I got some vanilla beans from france that arrived today. I sliced up part of a pod and added it to the tincture :)

Do you strain cold or let the tincture warm up a bit first?

• Like Like x 1
    I think that vanilla bean is a good idea. I definitely want to know how that worked. As for the strain, I do it cold, usually right from the freezer after shaking. More plant matter gets through when warm, the oils and waxes, whereas the cold makes more of it filterable.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. #91 wegrass, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
    Straining of the old tincture went without a hitch. I tried a drop that fell over the edge, it had a nice sweet taste to it. I think the vanilla will complement it well.
    I also added a tiny bit of alcohol and a couple more vanilla beans strips to the spent herb.

I started the new one following your tek last night. I decarbed 1gram. Then put jar with 1g decarbed in freezer along with 1 jar w/ .5 oz. 153 proof alcohol. I combined the 2 this afternoon and shook them up for a while. Then I added the (2nd run tincture with vanilla beans to the new mixture).Then put back in freezer. 

I know i deviated from the tek alittle, but I didnt want the beans to absorb too much of the new tincture so i let them soak in the old one then just combined.

Im considering deviating a bit more, i have grown fond of giving the tinctures a hot water bath. If it wont cause any potential problems I think ill try taking the tincture out, letting it warm up to room temp, giving it a few hot water baths then back to the freezer for a few hours before I strain. Could this cause any problems/ be harmful to the process?

• Like Like x 1
    Sounds like a plan to me, wegrass. Considering the small amount you're using, any way you can increase the potency is welcome. The way you do the water bath won't hurt it and may help. I've never done such a small portion and hope this works for you well enough to keep you interested. I think using the leftovers to soak the vanilla is a good idea. Keep us posted.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Awesome, 

I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

I have a potential drug test for a job coming up so it might be a bit till I can try it. I might hold off on straining it till then, but Ill definitely keep you posted!  

• Like Like x 1
  14. When I click the picture in your sig it does nothing with the forums When I click your name to look at your old post, it won't let me.
    Do you have any direct links avail?

Sorry, R6bbie. When they changed the format, the links got messed up and where there had been an index in my blog, I couldn't put the link to it any longer on the signature. I should go back and edit those if I could remember everywhere I referenced it. Here's the first tutorial and there are updates and other guides for the ecig version a little later in the thread. Everything I do revolves around an alcohol extraction as my means of infusing. Another Tincture Thread glycerin guide.   :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Howdy howdy.....well Sam I finally got a daytime tinc.  :yay:  I thought I'd posted some of my progress yesterday but don't see it.  I suspect the fumes from the reduction had something to do with where it went  :smoking:
    Used 7 gms of Green Crack Extreme in 8 oz of everclear. 2 washes. 1 st was bright yellow. 2 nd was emerald green. Final reduction to 2.75 oz, give or take, resulted in a beautiful amber color. Root beer comes to mind Stih :smoke:  Very nice lift. Lasts roughly 3 hours. Not dissimilar to cannacaps in length but the "curve" shifts. The tinc kicks in in minutes. Maybe 10 but it might be less. Caps are 45 min to an hour. But the tincs "high" point is boom, right out of the gate where the caps are atleast an hour and a half before you get there. Either way this is awesome.
    I do have a small concern about the alcohol since I have a liver problem. But if I decide to avoid it I have the material to make oil, caps, edibles if I choose. For now I'll play with the Dragon..... 
    many thanks Sam 
    H

• Like Like x 1
    I'm glad you like your daytime tinc, H.J. The Green Crack Extreme should pick you right up and keep you that way for a while. I wouldn't worry about the alcohol, though. There's less than the same amount of vanilla. It's minimal and won't affect any liver ailments or addiction issues. I've got hep C and the only thing GD does for it is keep it functioning and moving along with no symptoms. It's only a few drops.  ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Awesome.That's real good info. I'll stop worrying. I've been real good about avoiding alcohol for many, many years. Well, until my birthday this year. I've been treating myself to a Guinness every couple days :smoke:
    Sorry to hear we have another thing in common. Oh well, I'm in good company....
    how's the neck?
    lost a friend tonight. Really good man. 94. getting old is tough.
    you all take care.
    H

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Sorry to hear about your friend, Harley. I've lost a few this year myself. It sucks, doesn't it?

The neck is no better, maybe worse. I can now tell it wasn't due to a drug side effect, so on to the next tests. Tallyho!  :) 

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I know y'all know that feeling where you realize something just ain't right...after reading my post asking Sam about alcohol in the tinc relating to liver damage and then admitting I'm quaffing a guiness a couple times a week it occurred to moi that's a square peg round hole thing  :( sigh...I do love me stouts.....but I'd rather be here for a few years more with the same liver I showed up with.....
    I guess this old dog learned something, somewhere along the line  :smoke:  It's back to my 3 beers a year. Birthday, Christmas, New years :mad:
    it does make a six pack last a long, long time....unless my kids show up  
    stay safe,
    H

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1