DR40 Micro Grow... Hempy Bucket... First Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by spectresmoke, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Dream Queen Lollipops that I threw in the DR40 with the White Widow.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

The White Widow after a trim...

[​IMG][/IMG

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. :hello::hello: those girls are looking good dude. cant wait to see more!

3. Thanks Brother... I'm super excited to see how they all turn out.

As an overall project, I'd like to be able to consistently pull around 2 1/2 ounces from each tent. I think it may be possible if I do a lollipop SOG, or maybe even throw five plants in there with one-gallon pasta pots and use a scrog... who knows?!?!?! options?!?!?

4. All i'm gonna say is DO IT! Your plants look really good.

5. Pics of the LA Confidential clone as soon as she wakes-up...

6. Sorry... Just saw this...

Depending on how you want to grow, you could fit 3-4 plants in the DR40. That's my next grow plan... To stuff 4/5 plants in the DR40 and lollipop them and just go SOG. I've read journals with people getting a little over a half-ounce on a single lollipop grown under similar conditions, so I don't see why I couldn't fit four or five of those trimmed the same exact way for a "mini" sog.

So instead of thinking about it in plants, I've starting thinking about it in final smoke weight. My goal is to be able to pull about 2-3 ounces from each tent, each grow (which shouldn't be that difficult considering it would only mean getting around .5 grams/watt... I think that number is usually a good solid number to go/grow for). Problem with mini-sog is that it can only be one strain at a time, and you need clones.

Online somewhere I saw two-gallon square pots that were about 8 inches. I thought about throwing two of those in before deciding to go with four plants each in a one-gallon pasta container (most people just use 2-liter bottles). From what people have told me regarding tent size and plants... If you want to just grow them out straight-up, no LST or SCROG, in other words al natural, you should consider a square foot per plant. I think the DR60 is 2x2, so even in that you could grow four healthy plants (although it might be a little tight once they grow-up).

7. Good info. Why can you only grow one strain at a time? Is that in all indoor grow tents, or just the smaller ones?

8. The reason why I'm only sticking with one strain is so just because they have different flowering, veg times. When I start a mini SOG in there, I'll use the same strains to make sure that the growth is even across the tops, so that each plant gets as close to equal light as possible.

I'm sure you could grow different strain lollipops in there, and just adjust the height of each plant, but that just seems like it's starting to be a hassle... and for only a half-ounce of a different strain.

I got two of these tents going... So each one is a different strain. Once dialed in I suspect that these two tents working together will produce more smoke than I will need over an entire grow period, so I imagine I'll set aside a bunch of each grow for some primely cured smoke. Get a little "tasters choice" selection going on.

9. LA Con clone from a week ago. Coming along quite nicely. THC and Resin look good... Growth looks good.

Right now I'm feeding this one at 3/4 strength Cutting Edge Solutions with some Cal-Mag and Bloombastic (recommended dosage of this is 2-4 ml/gallon... I started with 1 and am now at 2... No burn on this plant whatsoever).

[​IMG]

10. Feed Update:

So this morning before the lights went out I flushed all of the plants (The LA Con, White Widow & the two Dream Queen Lollis). Last night I also cleaned off all the leaves with a foliar cleaner to be sure that the stomata's weren't clogged from previous sprayings. I think perhaps on the LA Con they were a bit clogged because this morning after a day's worth of light after being cleaned, she seemed to have a new vigor to her... Or maybe it's just me... Then again, maybe it was the CO2 tablet I added to the grow closet (more on that in a sec).

Tonight when lights go on the White Widow will continue receiving nutrients at 3/4 strength. No change to the diet just yet. Her tops are developing nice flowers and the stretch appears to be done... or at least slowed down. I used plant wire to guide the branches more upward instead of out so that I can leave room for the lollipops. The White Widow takes up about half as much canopy space as the LA Con.

The Dream Queens will get a change in their diets. I'm going to up the dosage of nutrients to 3/4 from 1/2, and start slowing introducing the Bloombastic to them. It's just about the third week for them (out of a seven week flower time) so it's just about time to start adding some of the blooming additives. I'm a little worried about introducing the bloombastic and upping the nutrient strength at the same time... Maybe I'll stick at 1/2 strength nutrients for now. They've doubled in height in the two weeks I've had them in flower and are now 16" tall, each.

The La Con (the older sister living next door in her own tent) will get an increase in nutrient strength as well. Nutrients will stay at 3/4 strength, but I will be increasing the amount of Bloombastic. It recommends 2-4 ml per gallon... I started with 1, then went to 2, and will go up to 3 for now. This will also be the last week I give it the bloombastic and feed it nutrients. The flower time is supposed to be 7-8 weeks, so I'm planning on flushing the last two. Depending on how development is at the end of the week, I might give it an additional feeding if I think it could use some extra flower time.

Picked up some Florakleen and used that to flush this morning. Will flush again tonight before I feed.

I also picked up some of those CO2 tablets. Supposedly one tablet with raise the CO2 levels in a 10x12 room to appropriate levels and will last up to 8 hours. I have a tiny closet, less than 1/10th the overall space of this so I figured I'd try a little experiment. I basically broke the tablet into a bunch of pieces and instead of using the whole thing in one day, will use portions of it throughout the grow. When the lights are off I leave the closet door completely closed (although I have fans circulating air inside and filters cleaning the air) so I started taking a little bowl, adding some of the CO2 portions, some water and leaving it in there. This way the fans pull in the air with CO2, pull it into the tent, and vent it back into the closet space. I wonder if this is actually doing anything... We'll see!!!

11. Here's a picture of my DR40. As you can see the entire space is pretty much being filled by the canopy created by three plants. In the back is the original White Widow clone that I've been LST'ing, and in front are the two Dream Queens that I am lollipop'ping.

I have the lollipops on cans of cat food to get them to equal height as the bucket, which itself is stacked on top of a few things.

Last night all the plants were flushed...

[​IMG]

12. I was told the White Widow would flower anywhere between 7-8 weeks. I was expecting it to be at least 8, but it looks like it might be 7.

The Dream Queens, again I was told, would be ready no later than 7 weeks (and they look on schedule so far)... And the White Widow looks like it has a week on the Queens. That being the case, I'm starting the Bloombastic a few days early...

Question: When you have a strain that can take multiple weeks (or a strain not growing according to schedule, as common as that is), how can you tell that it WILL BE ready for harvest? I know you can look at the hairs and trichromes, which I have been doing, but how is there a way to estimate how much longer so that I can plan the flushing, feeding schedule? I'm sure this is just one of those "it takes a while to get the feel for" type things, but figured I'd ask for help...

Thoughts?

Also, I've been searching for a guide that tells you basic steps a plant goes through while flowering. Couldn't find anything. Links? I once heard that the flowers will go through three distinct growing phases. Basically I'd like to know more about stuff like that... What to expect--typically--during flower.

13. The LA Con at five weeks of flower...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. they are turning out nicely! :smoke:

15. Hey, spectre.

Your plants look great. I'm really surprised that the LA is only on week 5. She's got some beautiful red hairs on her. Gonna be a wonderful next few weeks as she whitens up.

Here's a good read on what to expect during flowering:
    Marijuana Botany - Chapter 4 - Maturation and Harvesting of Cannabis

Also CH 9 (when is it ripe), from DJ's book,
    Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis: An ... - Google Books

Just keep in mind that you have a window of time (3-4 weeks) to harvest. You can get an idea by the ratio of clear/cloudy/amber trichomes. Once you see most of the trichs are cloudy (and maybe the first sign of amber trichs), you should probably start flushing. If you want a more clear, heady high, try flushing when everything's mostly cloudy and no amber. The plant can sustain itself for 2-3 weeks, if not longer, on the nutrients built up in its leaves and stem, so if you end up flushing a bit early, no worries.

Keep doing what you're doing! Really nice looking plants there.

16. TheColonel: thanks so much for the resources. A lot of times the forums get so inundated with information that it's hard to try and navigate the flood of info. This is exactly what I was looking for... Thank you very much!!!

I have a magnifier (50x), so I'll start taking a look at the trichromes when lights go on... And from there I'll start to monitor.

17. She looks tasty bro... coming along nicely, I was thinking of getting myself a DR40, is it a good size or do you wish you had gone with the 60? Just wondering your opinion as youve grown in it. Is a 50x mag good enough to see the trichs close-up to tell when they turn cloudy? I havent bought my mag yet...

18. The DR40 is great... For my next grow I plan on doing a SOG with five or six plants in there, each in a 2-liter bottle. A 150 Watt HPS fits perfectly in there as well. My goal is to be able to pull around 2oz dry each grow, which I don't think will be a problem at all (if it is, it's me, not the equipment).

The 50x works fine, but the one I got is a handheld one that is a pain in the ass to focus (you have to be perfectly still). Had I known better, I would have spent another $20 bucks for one of those viewcam microscopes that have a viewfinder and takes photos. Looking through a microscope for a long time hurts your eyes, so the screen is way better. PLUS, you can find those things on sale in toy stores all the time.

A member on here"Xare" does a SOG with 25 plants, each in a 2-liter bottle and has amazing results. I'm trying to mimic his setup in the DR40.

19. Actually, that user might be from another forum...

20. Damn bro. This is an awesome setup. I'm deffinetley tuned in to this one

+Rep