DR40 Micro Grow... Hempy Bucket... First Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by spectresmoke, Oct 11, 2010.

1. LST... Keeps the tops even so they all develop into equal (or close to) size. If I didn't tie her down like that, she'd be about a foot tall, but not have as many developed tops. Trying to keep her even until I put her into flower.

2. I want to do hempy but i grow micro. That 3 gallon bucket isnt going to outgrow that tent?

I only have 3 feet of grow space

3. Probably not... The plant is tied down a bunch, and with all the extra nodes becoming tops the growth in terms of height is cut down quite a bit (or so I'm told). Either way I still planned on enough room for the plant to triple in height, which gives me a ma plant size about about 24-26 inches. I doubt it will even come close.

I have an LA Confidential clone (mostly an indica, however) that is two weeks ahead of this one. After all the ties she's got around 16-18 evenly developed tops and a canopy that fills the entire tent, but is at most, 15 inches tall. When the plant grows taller, I just pull it back down to fill the canopy space. Everything beneath gets trimmed. I'll post pics later tonight once they wake up.

But you are 100 percent right... The three-gallon bucket is overkill. For the next round I plan on doing a SOG with four plants, each in their own one-gallon pot (I'm going to use these round containers from the container store that are roughly an inch wider in diameter than a 2-liter bottle, and two inches higher which somehow gives it double the capacity). Four, maybe five (five will for sure fit, but will be extremely crowded during flower), of those will easily fit in the tent and each plant will still have a couple of inches to each side to branch. I'll lollipop each one so that each plant has a big main cola for a total of five that fill up the tent.

An individual on another growing forum uses 2-liter bottles and runs 25, 5 x 5 three/four inches apart and pulls down more than .5 grams per watt.

I'd be happy if I could come anywhere near that...

4. so many photo apps, i don't even have to bother downloading them to my laptop to adjust in photoshop. really makes things like this easier, to shoot and share.

More pics when they wake up in an hour!!!

5. So here are some updated pics of both of the plants going.

The first one is of the White Widow clone that this thread originally started with. The second is of an LA Confidential clone two weeks ahead. Both plants were LST'ed and grown in the exact same situation, same nutes, everything.

The LA Confidential plant overall height is about 12-13", and I'm about half-way through the stretch period, maybe more since it's an indica heavy. Either way, I don't suspect she'll get much taller overall. That leaves with tons of headroom in the tent, even with the over-done three-gallon bucket.

Again, next grow I'm going to do a SOG with a four/five plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. according to my calculations I will need to flip to flower at around 10 inches. I think I may try to tie them down which is going to mess with my math a little. I like the way your plants look though. I hope to push .5g/watt as well. I am running in a pretty small space with 150wHPS.

7. The ties should help significantly with the yield... All the flowers are starting to develop nice and evenly and since I keep pulling her down and outward, all are getting pretty equal amounts of light. Nice thick canopy, no covered flowers.

8. im diggin your setup. nice work! :hello:
    takin notes from your setup for my first :D

9. Good Luck!!! This is my first as well... so the best of luck to the both of us actually.

Temps are kind of the hardest thing to manage. Don't make the mistake I did and start with a 4" inline booster fan. It wasn't enough so I switched to a 6" that I mounted to the 4" and run them both. Those keep them pretty much at room temperature lights on. Also have a 4" CPU fan to help intake.

When the lights are out only the 4" exhaust fan stays on, the 6" shuts down with the timer. This problem actually turned out to be a good idea, as a 6" fan alone would be a lot to have to run 24-hours a day. Also, the Lasko fan wasn't such a great idea... It has one of those digital on/off switches so even when it's put on a timer, it won't come back on. I leave it on all the time to circulate air, but the option would have been nice. Lesson learned... Old school knobs and off/of switches are the best. Digital Timers suck too. You keep having to reprogram them and if there is a power out, the timer gets reset.

10. Looks awesome so far man. I'm going to be operating my first grow (like many others) this spring as well xD

I was going to make a dresser growbox, but after checking out your setup this Jardin grow tent looks amazing. What model do you think would be able to healthily support 3-4 plants? The DR150?

Good luck with your grow, can't wait to see more pictures:smoke:

11. so youre running the 4" and 6" during lights then the 4" only with lights off?
    and the 4" cpu fan, is that the only intake you are using? and do you run it constantly?

12. That's exactly it. And yes, I run the intake fan the whole time. Before I had it I just let the exhaust pressure passively-pull in air through the bottom vents, but now that I have the 6" fan on top, I'm sure that might slow the exhaust down a bit when it's off so I leave the intake fan on for good measure.

I picked up some Dream Queen clones this morning and threw them in 1 gallon pasta containers that I spray-painted black. I'm going to throw them in there with the White Widow since there is a good amount of room in the tent (if I lollipop the two new clones... so it's kind of an experiment).

13. sounds like a good build to me. im def gonna go with a similar grow tent for my first grow. if you get around to it you should take some up close pics of your fan set up :D
    :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:

14. Will do!!! Although they look pretty ugly with all the sound insulation wrapping them up.

15. if it works it works. no matter what it looks like :D. im just trying to get a better idea

16. Here are some pics of the fan setup. I did the best I could of taking pictures of them, without having to take them apart (which would have been messy since I used duct tape).

Basically I used 6" Duct hose to connect the two fans together. Then I wrapped the top with insulation just to help keep the noise down (it helps quite a bit actually... I'm surprised). From there I used the sleeve on the tent to close-up any gap space and lowered the 4" fan into the hole. The 6" just sits on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. And here is an updated photograph of the White Widow clone half-way through the first week of flower. She's got about twelve tops on her right now, with a few more coming in on the lower portions of the branches. I'll see how far they come along in the next few days before I think about chopping them off. At this rate they may catch-up with the rest of the canopy that is developing.

[​IMG]

18. ride on, thanks for posting those fan pics up. helped me a lot on fan set up. thanks.
    looks like shes coming along great! looking forward to more :D

19. Thanks man! If you want to do the same but get it to look a lot cleaner--and probably be easier in the end--I'd go with a 6" to 4" duct adapter and use that to connect the fans. I imagine the adapter would slide right into the socket and allow the top fan to sit perfectly on top, and not look like a messed-up chimney like mine does.

I think I can build a better silencer for it... I'm thinking I could wrap chicken-wire around the fan so that a chicken-wire tube extends longer than the fan, then wrapping the insulation around the chicken wire and then sliding an 8" pvc pipe over the entire thing to close it up.

Maybe another week-end project.

20. Re-did the fans... Just mounted the 4" fan right to the bottom of the 6" fan using a little shim I fashioned out of some scrap tin. Then taped them up. Re-wrapped the top with the insulation and it works a bit better.

I think ideally, I'll get a 8" pvc pipe, about 12" long, and slide it over the fan and pack it with insulation. Just wrap it in a coil so there is still the main hole to vent through.