Dr. Mengle's JJ Style Grow with Southern Star Seeds

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Dr M, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I know JJ ...i just hate to waste that space on just a cloner..it can't hurt remember these plnts have to be sexed so i want to be prepared for any contingency...if out of 5 3 come up i'm prepared ...if two are female ..great..two hid chambers..if 3 female i'm still good..best looking hid..weak sister gets led in that case.. i'm just utilizing everything i have to it's fullest that i can conceive of..yes i wear suspenders with a belt..lol

2. G'day to all..i was out looking for stuff today got my rubber mat and screws for the fan $13..$3 over budget but what can you do..the mat will be cut up and used for the floor of the cab and to make a lightproofing strip to be added to the doors and perimeter..the remainder for kitchentte floor..it's gonna look like a lab and it deadens vibration from all the fans.

I found the pancake taper vent but i had to go to a plumbing supply store..you will not find this unit in a big box store and it's about liability..that's the thing about being an old fart when i meet another old fart like myself they like to talk..counter guy told me after questioning why i wanted the unit..i told him cool tube..he didn't know what one is..it was his responsibility to determine that the unit would not be used in heating application..whaat? if you reduce the vent on a heater designed for certain size maybe not enough co2 gets vented there's a chance you wake up dead..big bx stores liability lawyers say we can't have that comeback to us in deep pocket lawsuit we won't sell the unit..

They gave me old fart discount and they were $9 ea not bad..pic is std 6'' to 4'' reducer alongside pancake taper 6''to 4''..i bought two..see how much room you'll save to make your 90 degree bend..i blew my budget but now i'm ready when the tube gets here this week to do fittings

The GGA's are in cubes in the sunbeam after soaking for two days in shot glass of distilled wtr and are being kept moist religiously..they'll go under fluros the instant sunbeam moves..it's 88 under the fluros

Post mortem of the cindys shows they never opened really after being gently cracked..no tap at all..i'm sweating the 5 GGA's germing..the seeds all looked good so i did the 5 biggest ...don't know what i'll work on tomorrow but it's not going to cost $

Attached Files:

3. The GG Allin here that I started using the same method you are using showed tap roots after 3 days.

I only put them straight into paper towel though with no pre soak. Of the 5 I started only 1 never really made it. Am sure you will see opening and start by Friday there. Definetly by the weekend.

Try not to look at them too much. I think the phase is a watched kettle never boils. Lol

Once they get going though, the GGs will impress the socks off you. Have got 7 here that are extremely uniform and branching is as good as any I have ever seen in full Indica genetics.

4. i'm trying to be cool just adding little squirts of distilled wtr to keep cubes moist.. their chmbr is 88-90 degrees and the window ledge is sweet sunbeam 10am to around 3pm and then into chmbr for the eve hrs ..i keep chmbr on 24/7 ..it's in bthrm so i look every time i go in there..not open chmbr just look as i whizz..can't help myself

5. G'day to all..My cool tube came in today along with my free sample drippers from Black Hole Drippers out of cali..i saw their ad in Max Yeilds mag for free sample drippers upon request so i sent them an e mail and requested samples..talked to Jason on the phone to arrange shipping..was hoping for COD they wanted paypal..i don't do paypal for $5...they came today..Jason your $5 is on it's way in cash ..now that i have a ret address..are they sweet or what? They are going to fit perfectly in the net baskets i use my current drippers are too big even though they work good enough..

The cool tube is used and it's condition tells me a lot about who owned it previously..they had a problem with leaks because they couldn't figure out how to get their reducer past the screw hooks provided for you to hang it.. one screw hook is missing and was replaced by just a screw with no hook..i'll take those off and attach to the straps for the ducting..becuse they couldn't get the reducer tight they used duct tape and it left that residue..i'm going to have to sand that off for my taper to get on there smoothly..still for under $60 it's all good

Went by my carpenter's shop and got the deck widened so the dwc can sit flush..also got a handle on it so i can move it without busting ass and a cutout in the support header for the feed hose from the adjoining reservoir..
    I gotta recheck this header thing with JJ before i drill it to make sure i have the principle correct..

The GGA are going in t here after they pop roots..tomorrow i start doing some fittings for this gear..everyday i try and do something... not much and it's fun..i'm doing it right this time..and keeping track for y'all..

Attached Files:

6. Wah!? I somehow missed the start of this thread.

I'm all aboard now, though.

:metal:

7. G'day to all..My mini humidifier came in the mail . I did a pretty good search to find this unit..it's small not as big as two bics in length and barely one deep..holds about almost a liter..3 speeds with green led running lite..red lite when it's out..10hr between refills..got a weird nite light in it that changes colors in the middle speed but not high or low..only drawback it does not do autorestart after power out and return like the one in my other cab..output is excellent..same as my other bigger one that glows red and can't be used in dark cycle..

The unit is the pureguardian model H900BL about $30 plus shipping not bad..perfect for my size cab..my budget is now on lockdown till next mo..next mo. dual 120 cfm intake fan and GH nutes..i'll try and do what i can do without spending $'s till then..

My current grow is stunted but being nursed back to full health..that harvest will pay for couple more items..idk if i'm gonna make amber with them after all..i need the space,the bukets, and $$$ for the this grow...the timing is going to be tight..

As i'm visualizing how all the gear will plug in and where it'll go and work in concert with each other the more i'm dubious of the evc-1 controller..my other cab runs on two C.A.P cyclestats one for pumps the other for venting cycle ..they run 24/7 and i've never had a problem with them..waiting for something to sense a condition and then function idk i'm not that comfortable with it for my rig..i'm going to try and sell that evc-1 again on CL..i want the Autopilot master digital timer controller $181. that would work perfect with my newtek timer strip..

I luv toys!! bane of my existance,..they keep making them in my price range

Attached Files:

8. G'day to all..Got busy and finished the plumbing in the led chmbr..i'm using the wtr seeks it's own level principle that JJ uses from time to time for grows that he sets up..it''s so crazy lo-tech simple that i couldn't understand it at first and nearly put a hole in the wrong place...

I thought the holes needed to be parallel for the connecting hose...WRONG! it's the wtr that becomes parallel so hoses can connect from bottom..being able to connect from the bottom i could use all the plumbing in it's entirety that allready existed from it's previous life as ebb&flow..all i did was drill one hole in bottom of blue buket and pop in a bulkhead fitting and connect fill hose..

On the fill hose i put two valves so i have couple options...i can seperate res from buket..drain seperately or both together by opening second valve on dwc with dedicated drain hose running into shower..the buket drains completely except for about a pint...

This works so sweeet i think my rolling rack is going to get its own res as well being as this go it's only going to have 1 dwc unit anyway and there 's space in the vacated spot...i still got parts in spares and a buket...

The only thing i need to do is paint the cover for the res and put a handle on it..air line connects to pump in next chmbr..eventually they'll be a scrog in there..

GGA haven't shown up yet..sunny ledge during day transfered to fluros in afternoon idk cubes being kept moist religiously temp in sunbeam is good so is temp in fluro tank..Reggie said wkend and it ain't over yet so i'm hopeful..still have 6 seeds left..maybe i'll do EXACTLY as Reggie does with paper towel with 2 seeds no presoak directly into papr twls ..pops with root then into cube..nothing by wed that's what i'll do

9. Dr. I'd love to have the motivation you've got going on!! Awesome setup!

I've only had 1 seed from southern star that didn't pop out of about 40 now. All I do is put them in a glass of water and then once they sink (even if you have to poke them), usually only 12 or so hours then pop them into the medium.
    The seed sinks when moisture makes its way inbetween the outer coating and the seed shell from then on the process is underway so I try not to fuck with em after that, nature knows best I reckon.
    I grew a GG male out not long ago and it was a beast, got a few beans left for a winter girl too:D

Hope your seeing them soon man!!

Oz

10. That's EXACTLY what i did AK last sun

11. Awesome! So glad I found this thread before things start to take off. Looking great Dr. And looking forward to seeing this grow!

12. G'day to all..We got good and not so good today.The seeds are not popping.I beleive this is my fault..i don't know how yet but i will figure it out..Reggie did cross check of this batch he got 3 for 5 right away..i've gotten a lot of input and i'm going back to germing 101 class before i risk my remaining SSS seeds..

I'm thinking the missing factor may be lack of warmth so back to the drawing board ..i still have ? seeds to play with that nocal bud gave me last yr..i couldn't get them to pop ( 60!) but he swears his buddy germed 80 and got 1 but that 1 is touching the top of the guys garage..i told him pics or it didn't happen...nonetheless good for expermintin'

I'm going to do Reggie technique blended with Hortilla method..only difference is you scuff the seeds up using matchbx with sand papr inside..soak 24 hrs..papr twl on plate seeds poured from cup to plate..2nd twl over top wicks wtr up 1/4'' tent over seeds out of 2nd twl..2nd plate over that to make clamshell..plates placed on cable bx for warmth after 12 hrs chk twl for dryness add wtr( distilled) 24hr ltr seeds pop?..we'll see if this works

The GGA's were placed on my receiver for warmth ..gets pretty warm in there..i'm pretty sure they aren't happening but you never know so i'm tryin but it has been over 7 days and i'm not feelin it..

I'm considering this a minor delay and this was not entirely unexpected..it's been a constant in my life that anything worth having is fraught with problems at the start but once i over come them it's smooth sailing for the most part..

Went to the shop and got some cuts made with tin shears..Got the reducers cut down so now they are a 6'' cap/4'' reducer..saved all kinds of inches so i can make the entry/exit 90 degree turns tight..i'm using rigid alummium ducting to do two 90 turns in & out for less air resistance..the rest of the run will be the white plastic ducting..

After JJ input on lite needed per sq ft..i'll be keeping this cab at 250w ...400w would be overkill..even my other cab is over lit at 600w-400w..that's going make things a whole lot easier..

I'm still sizing stuff up..no rush yet

13. Ya I too used that method for years outside of the matchbox scratching...
    I found they crack a little faster, but the success rate between the scratched, and non scratched was no different..
    So I never felt the need to scratch the seed cases...

I also use the paper towels which do not have a print pattern on them...
    Wanted to avoid the ink if for whatever reason it bleed, even though I have never see that happen...
    Always thought of it as a better safe than sorry, cause I'd loose $120 in seed if the ink did bleed on a cheap paper towel...

:wave:

14. If your seed source tried 80 seeds and one germinated then those seeds are worthless and no wonder you didn't get any out of the 60 you tried. There are only so many ways that sprouting seeds can be screwed up. Maybe instead of listening to ways people sprout their seeds you should be checking for ways it can be screwed up. Here are a couple.

seeds drying out after they are soaked and almost ready to pop
    seeds drowned in water
    too much light
    too cold or too hot

Maybe someone else can suggest a way to screw it up. You can scarify it like was suggested with the steel wool but that don't help pot seeds, they don't have a hard enough shell. I can't see how it would hurt, though.

15. yup i feel the same about ink and no scented stuff either

16. And those are the 2 main reasons viable seeds to not sprout up...

17. now this is weird..checked underneath the cubes two have a tiny tap root starting to poke out but nothing up top..i have never seen this before ..that's a 1.5''cube! i'll check tomorrow morn if they are longer ..Ronnie chime in is this unusual?anything i should do to help them? do they even need help?

18. Great news Dr! Let em do their thing mAn!!!
    I started 3 ggs and 2 were eaten by grasshoppers and the one left was a male but he was a beast!! Got a few more beans here ready to go so I'll sit back and watch how you do it:D

Oz

19. If there is no more growth from that root by morning, it's dead...
    Because I can check mine hours apart and notice growth when I do the paper towel method..