Dr earths organic tomatoe soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MeanJoeGreen69, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I started my grow a few days ago and when I went out to get my FFOF the store I went didn't have(shoulda mentioned that on there site where it stated they still did) so instead of driving across town to get some, I managed to find a "cooler" employee there that knew I was growing "tomatoes" ;) lol and recommended this as a good substitute just wondering if anyone has used this or knows anything about it? I'd like to know if it's good or even okay for my entire growth? Or should I go grab the FFOF instead?

2. From experience the ocean forest is very buggy, would not recommend it personally. I do not know about the Dr Earth soil, however, Dr Earth is an excellent brand so I would imagine it would be ok to use but like I said I have no experience. At some point you should try making your own soil mix, it's simple, effective, and all you need to do is add non-chlorinated water (SIPs simplify it even more IMO).

3. No ones used it?

4. Ive never personally used a Dr. Earth soil, But ive used there nutrients and ammendments with great success. Id go with that Dr Earth over FFOF anyday thou. I started off growing in FFOF mixed with Happy Frog.... dont miss those days one bit.

5. FFOF isn't anything special. The dr. Earth tomato soil might just be an improvement. Regardless you'll need to amend it if you intend to use it for your whole grow. Add some worm castings and/or compost. Additional aeration such as perlite, pumice. And some nutritional amendments like kelp meal, bone meal, alfalfa meal, tomato tone. And some dolomite lime. Be sure to allow 3-4 weeks for your soil to cook before using.

6. In my last soil mix I used Dr. Earths bud and bloom booster along with EWC, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, fish bone meal, azomite, neem cake and some lime. My plant is loving this mix and the buds are swelling up nicely. Dr earth's stuff is great.

7. Yeahhh, I can't do that since I planted it already... Lol but I will look into mixing my own soil for my next grow, is it true you don't have to add nutes to an organic mix if it's good? Or at least not as much...

8. The best is grown with nothing but water.

Dont skip the rock dust.

9. So if I mix up a good one myself I shouldn't add nutes at all and just water straight water. Do I need to add any kind of organic fertilizer or anything? Or the soils good for the whole grow?

10. Dont Trip. We were all "newb"ies once.

11. Lol cool, I have some bag seeds and 2 femmed WW growing right now in that's dr earths. Pics are on another thread though

White widow closet grow is the name

12. MeanJoe when you make your own soil mix I suggest using self watering containers as well. I know a lot of people enjoy noobwannb's set up, I personally use plastic buckets with a wicking basket, there are different set-ups find one you like or would fit your needs and you will be in for an awesome time with practically no effort these plants will explode with new growth. It is amazing what can be accomplished with a proper soil mix and a self watering container.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-...annbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html

13. Joe, take these good folks advice and look into mixing up your own organic soil. It's very simple and highly effective - HIGHly effective.

Making your own soil gives you te opportunity to know exactly what's in the mix. Too often large soil companies add just the bare minimum to their mixes - by mixing your own you'll grow much, much better tomatoes, trust me.

Lose the hydro store mentality! You don't need them - at all, whatsoever, except for the ocassional light bulb perhaps.

Wouldn't it be nice to not worry about checking your pH, attempting to adjust your pH, no more flushing, no spending more money on bottled nutrients; simply keep your soil moist with dechlorinated tap water, and when your done, use it again - and again...

Your quality will improve, you will save money and your garden will be simpler to maintain.

Sounds like a no brainer to me...

GL

j

14. Alright you have all inspired me And if it's cheaper and more effective then it really is a no brainer. Il look into it ASAP, thanks for all the Help guys. If you wanna see how my plants are doing I just posted some pics today

15. Dr. Earth also makes a soil just for cannabis. Its called Dr. Earth Homegrown and is sold as medicine garden soil. It even has cannabis leaves on the label. I used it in combination with FFO and Happy Frog. Every one is growing great three weeks in. The Blue Dream and Pineapple Express really seem to dig it.

16. I thought about mixing but didn't know if that would cause any probs but I think il buy some FFOF and perlite and mix it all 33% each

17. #19 Ed Hume, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
    All three pre mixes that I used contain different things that I found recommended in various homemade soil recipes. I also added 25% coca in the medium and a small amount of blood n bone meal. It blotched up my Super Lemon Haze, but other than random leaves being variegated with yellow its doing good and just needs to adapt. My mix is probably a little nitrogen heavy for SLH, I might not have needed the blood n bone. I'm quite certain that soon my head will explode from all the info on the web, good or bad.:rolleyes:

18. Skip the FFOF
    Buy Worm castings and kelp

Coca? as in cocoa shells? or coconut coir?
    cocoa shells can lock out N if you use to much.

• Like Like x 1