Downstems

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Frösty, Feb 28, 2013.

1. So I need a new downstem sadly.

My bong has a 18.8mm joint, I think the last downstem I had was 13cm, which sounds about right.

My problem is I don't care if it is fancy, I don't NEED a showerhead or gridded or whatever, it would be nice if it had one, but what I want is something that will last. I have seen too many of my friend's bongs get their downstem stuck inside practically fucking up the entire bong, and now my downstem broke because of my dog knocking it over:( thank god that was all that broke so I am not at a loss.

So ya, basically what kind of downstems should I look for for a good sturdy downstem?

I plan on just going to my LHSs tomorrow or something to pick out a good one since I don't feel like ordering one (I am too impatient, especially for the bong to be sitting there without a downstem:p)

So ya, any advice you guys can give me. School me bitches:wave:

2. well i know u said you dont really fancy gridded or the shower head steams but honestly yu can ethor get the regular ones for dirt cheap or spend a lil more n get a nice gridded one that helps with the diffusion rather than jus big bubbles.. really your preference

3. It isn't that I don't like either the gridded or the showerhead, I actually love them, but I already have a ash catcher and 20 arms of tree percs so I don't feel as if I need that.

Basically I want a downstem that is thick glass that will last awhile, and if it is a showerhead that just makes it 20x better, but i'd take a thick normal downstem over a thin showerhead.. (if there is even any huge thickness difference on downstems?)

4. #4 Just DAB It, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
    I only buy pieces that have natural down stems flows better plus easier to clean IMO.

5. I just got the bong yesterday, no joke from a LHS, and the downstem broke. I have to work all day so there won't be a chance I will be getting to use it until tomorrow :(. The good news is I got to hit it once before the downstem broke, and the downstem broke out of pure dumbass on my part, but it seemed too fragile for my liking anyways but still.

Since this is my first bong purchase ever, I am satisfied completely by it, but ya if I were to change one thing it would to go for the natural downstem. Ohhhhhhhh well, lesson learned :p

6. Thickness won't change alot from brand to brand just performance. A Alex k or something similar would be just fine.

7. Wow that is sad I feel your pain though the last piece I broke I had less than 2 weeks. The bong was not a total loss but it never hit like it did before the accident.

8. #8 Frösty, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013

Thanks, that was kind of my question but uhhh my high ass apparently forgot to ask that first:p

And ya man, it is sad, but hey gotta do what you gotta do

I ended up getting this downstem because it was the only one they had left in stock anyways for my size that I needed, looks somewhat fragile and I have no idea if it is even better than what I had, by the looks of it it has more holes so I am guessing that = more diffusion? Don't really care to be honest, I can smoke my bong now and that is what matters! :bongin:

Attached Files:

9. You probably got the most fragile downstem you can buy! lol just be careful and it will last

10. ehhh the downstem that came with the bong was super shitty, i mean it broke falling 2 feet onto carpet, but ya I know it is super fragile:p I have never broken glass in my life so I am confident I can keep this one all good now, I mean the downstem was like $15 at my LHS (they give you %15 off if you have a tshirt from there which they gave me for free for buying the bong anyways, plus they were running a %30 off promotion) so I feel like even if I do break it it is oh well, I don't know anything about downstems but it looks like it has a lot more holes for diffusion? Also does anybody suggest keck clips I think they are called? I have this downstem with a ash catcher as well

11. just treat your glass like its glass and you should be fine