Downstem stuck in bong

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by MaliciousMonkey, Aug 3, 2013.

1. A friend sold me his new bong (he only used it 3 times) because he had no place to store it so I took it off his hands. He cleaned it right before I bought it off him but he forgot to dry the glass before putting it all together and putting it into a box. The box he packed it in was a tight fit because of this and the water between the contacts it has created a solid seal that won't budge under hot water. I tried pulling and twisting it but I'm scared ill break it. Sugestions?

2. Hmmm... Maybe some type of lubricant will help? Twould be something to consider and look up.

3. run hot water over it for a few minutes, tap around the downstem with a wooden spoon, and try to get it out

4. Freeze it that way the water that has it locked with turn to ice and you can break it free by twisting a lil.

5. Water expands when freezing, and could break the glass. Depending on if it is Chinese glass or quality boro glass.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. There's only a very tiny amount of moisture in there. It's always worked for me but then again i only have american boro. If it's a super shitty bong then it might crack.

7. id try dripping alchohol around the joint to decompose the resin, dried resin would be the reason its stuck.

8. I have a 22 inch Illadelph and this shit always happens to me due to people pushing down the bowl to much and then the downstems way stuck.. dont freak though. Grab any kind of lubricant, vaseline, petroleum jelly, the best is just plain car oil.. dab some oil around the downstem where it slides into the actual bong. Let it get down in there then start pullin. If that doesnt work then grab a pair of plumbing plyers, wrap some cloth around the downstem then put the plyers on it and gently twist. If that does'nt work I dont know what else to suggest.. It's always seemed to work for me. Good luck

9. drip some rubbing alcohol down it and then try to twist and pull with a towel. if that doesnt work id freeze it

10. Thanks for all the help! I went on vacation for 3 weeks and when i got back i figured might as well try and pull it out again and sure enough the water had evaporated and it came right out (with a little convincing).

11. wow ahhaa i would just say twist. ive had soooo many bongs and thats never happend. 

12. Iso that bitch and next time wax slide

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I wrapped a piece of wire around the lip of the down stem and gave it a quarter twist (like you would a bread tie--- another potential idea to use) and gently pulled it straight out. Didn't think it would work but since it did I'm passing the idea along. Hope it helps and remember to be gentle with it.

14. doesnt sound like much of a problem to me