Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

downstem broke advice?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by starcecil, Apr 29, 2010.

1. So tonight I somehow managed to break the wider opening part of the female slide off the top of the slide. What is left is the tube stuck in a squishy grommet thing going down into my bong.

How do I get it out so I can maybe put a new one in? There isn't anything left to grab onto and pull out the tube. The more I mess with it smaller pieces of glass keep breaking off of the slide

I'm super baked right now and still dont know how the fuck i broke my 300 glass ; ;

2. I don't really have any advice because your description is kind of confusing and there aren't any pictures but I have to say breaking a bong sucks. I broke both of mine in the same week and you know what? That week fucking sucked.

3. I'm pretty sure I get what you're saying. I had a bong that that happened to as well. What I was able to do was get a hold of the down-stem with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull it out with the rubber grommet. I then cleaned it really well before replacing the down-stem and smoking out of it. Do you have anything blocking the main tube, such as a percolator? If not, it'll be really easy to get out... once you aren't baked. Then you can just go get a new one! Make sure to moisten the new one before sliding it into the grommet, it'll make it much easier and lower the risk of you breaking the new one.

4. #4 starcecil, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010

Well Actually not a perc but the top of my bong is a Z shape and big pieces won't fit through where its thinner because the bong itself is really thick glass.

For clarification on the other poster -

Ya know how female stems have a wider opening at the top to help guide in your bowl of choice? Well that wider lip thing is what broke off, so I'm stuck with just the slimmer part of the tube and the grommet

My grommet feels like it might be glued in place, not sure... still fixable yea?

5. Whay i would try if theres nothing to grab with is some form of stick or allen key thats just small enough to fit inside your stem. Put a ton of some strong glue on it, stick it in, let glue set, then use that to pull out, throw that all out and get a new stem.

6. When I broke the down stem , it chipped at the opening/side of the flask part of the bong. I just took it to one of the headshops in my area for glass repair. Maybe you could do that if offered where you live

7. Grommets aren't typically glued in place, but they will seem like it the first time you need to take it out, considering it's been in the same position for a while and probably has resin build-up helping hold it in place.

Another idea to get the broken glass out would be to, instead of gluing something in it, get a coat hanger, straighten it out, make a hook on one end (possibly think of padding that) and gently pull up. If you can wiggle the grommet loose while holding the down-stem up with the coat hanger, the down-stem will come right out once you line it up with the hole.