Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Downsides of Shrooms

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by nickydigital, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. +1 for the antidepressant etc idea, you don\'t want to try that until you know what you\'re up to.

As for the brain bleeding stuff...

I\'m a scientific type guy, so I\'m never happy saying something is just totally impossible or wrong. I think the point people are getting at is that, while a lot of their evidence may be anecdotal, it\'s also vast. I mean, I myself have been reading about this for years and years and spoken to forums full of shroom guys. So I must have come into contact with hundreds, if not thousands, of people who\'ve tried shrooms themselves, who will have all come into contact with other shroom guys and so on; big numbers. Out of all of these people, I\'ve never heard a single one of them mention brain bleeding.

It may be anecdotal, but the numbers are so big it becomes scientifically viable. E.g. if this was such a problem, people taking big doses would have experienced complications with the bleeding you\'re talking about. And given the number of people who trip, on shrooms and other hallucinogens, it would be -all- over the media by now and every kid would be scared of trying it because their brain might bleed.

You may be interested in the following;

A Q&A page from Erowid discussing the brain bleed idea in relation to LSD
    http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=3022
    (LSD makes your spine move? Haven\'t heard of anything other than genetic disorders and surgeons being capable of this to date, and the surgeons need to break your spine first)

A page from the shroomery on precisely this topic
    http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1188822
    (Although, some of the answers do also indicate a lack of appreciate for how the brain actually works, that all inhibitory neurons are negative / turn things off that used to be on...)

The only thing that allows me to consider the possibility this could be correct is that the book was printed not long ago, which means there could be some updating lag involved. But still, if this problem was anywhere near as dangerous as the book makes out there\'d be trippers dropping dead every day.

I would consider checking the back issues of the text book or even contacting the people who wrote it. It\'s very possible it\'s just a mistake and someone\'s got two of the names backwards or wrong.

Finally, I don\'t really dig all the \'the government has aliens they\'re not telling us about\' stuff too much but you have to consider that they\'re \'waging a war on drugs\', so they could really do with having something like that in a text book to call on.

2. At first I assumed that flex40 was trying to be ironic/humorous, and I found it mildly amusing, but now I\'m not so sure.

However, I guess this is a good example of just how apt we are (or aren\'t) to believe some legitimate-looking information (albeit rife with typos) that is supposed to be from a medical textbook posted on a stoner forum on the Internet.

Personally, I don\'t believe psilocybin/psilocin makes your brain bleed. So yeah, I guess I\'m arguing with your \"medical textbook\".

Acid has no taste, man.

3. I got some acid dropped on sweet tarts one time it was really good

4. Psylocybin (*FROM Pharmacology by Rang Dale Ritter and Moore 5th edition 2003*) is speculated to act as a 5-HT receptor agonist. The reason for this is that A: It has a similar chemical structure to 5-HT and B: It is of the same chemical class of drugs as LSD which is known to act as a 5-HT 2 agonist.

Furthermore serotonin will cause VASOCONSTRICTION of cerebral blood vessels via it\'s action of 5-HT 1D RECEPTOR AGONISM. NOT VASODILATATION. It is, therefore, HIGHLY unlikely that psylocybin would have such an effect as you describe.

If you get a proper subarachnoid then really... I mean REALLY... YOUR PROGNOSIS IS NOT GOOD. 45% of patients with a subarachnoid DIE within 8 weeks if not treated.

I have also talked to a consultant toxicologist about this who\'s only argument for the IMMEDIATE toxicity of shrooms was \"You don\'t know what your picking.\"

Perhaps you should not trust books from 1978. I\'m not meaning to be a dick or anything but unless you work in a developing country I wouldn\'t expect you would be working with books from back then if you REALLY were a Healthcare Professional of ANY KIND. Be insulted if you like but you strike me as a Walter Mitty type character.

5. are shrooms hard to grow? and are they common in the wild? how do you know what mushroom is a shroom?

6. NEVER pick shrooms from the woods thinking they have any psilocybin. VERY dab idea. many difference speices of shrooms can look alike.

7. +1

I\'ve been reading about them for quite a while and I\'d still not try it myself. You have know precisely what you\'re looking for. Serious amatoxin posining can kill you, or at least require a liver transplant. And the side effects are very subtle, they could be confused with the feeling you get at the start of a normal trip.

It\'s not particularly hard to grow mushrooms. Equipment wise, it costs less than hydroponically growing weed.

The main problem with growing shrooms is just contaminations. You grow them on wet, nutrient rich medium. You first have to sterilise it in a pressure cooker, or the oven, to kill off anything that\'s alive in it. When it\'s cooled you innoculate it with spores (which are just seeds really) from something like psilocybe mushrooms. If you sneeze on the medium before you seal it back up, the germs will take over before the shroom network can; and, dude, those bastards seriously stink once they\'ve set up home. But the problem\'s trickier than that....

If you don\'t sterilise it properly you might leave something alive inside, or stuff from the air will get in as you\'re working with it afterwards. You also have to do things like flaming your syringe blade just before innoculating the medium to make sure you\'re not poking a blade into the medium that\'s covered in germs.

People have problems with contaminatons but once you get used to the \'quirky\' things you need to do to keep them away (like keeping things upside down to stop airborne contamination from drifting into your sterilised areas) it\'s not very hard. Reading the section on \'aseptic techniques\' from a biology text book will probably tell you most of what you need to know.

Visit the www.shroomery.org, they have absolutely tons and tons of stuff on there, including a forum & text and voice chatrooms.

8. when i ate shrooms i got so damn giggly the whole damn neighborhood thought i was high. i swear i didn\'t stop smiling for hours and hours. my goofy little sister kept making me laugh on purpose, saying off the wall things like \"look at that box. i live in that box. i live in there. look at it, there it is. my home.\" i found statements like that unbelievably hilarious. just hours of uncontrollable hysterical laughter. it was great haha but just don\'t be around those bad pro-prohibition people in case this happens to you

me too! :yummy:

9. I just had to bump this, any new info on whether or not shrooms actually make your brain bleed? Anyone read toxicology textbooks recently published in 2006 that say otherwise? This was a very interesting discussion, I think everyone would have a good time reading this whole thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.