Downloading new iPhone software

Discussion in 'General' started by motoxer, Mar 29, 2012.

1. But I can still use my iPhone, is this normal? I would have thought that it would lock it out until it's done? Like I am posting this thread while it's downloadin. It also said it gonna take 4 hours... Holy shit

2. how are you downloading it? wireless?

3. Nope, hooked up to my laptop with USB

4. damn bro.. 4 hrs without your phone sounds like torture :rolleyes:

5. No I meant that it dident appear it was downloading, but it's done now and worked

6. are you installing ios5 or something? thats the last update i had to last that long. if its 5.0.1 it might say for hours but dont worry, shouldnt take neearly half as long :bongin:

7. Yeah man. That happened 2 updates ago. The whole being able to update and still use your phone.

You can update wirelessly from your phone also.

Same with IPads

8. [quote name='"RememberTheName"']Yeah man. That happened 2 updates ago. The whole being able to update and still use your phone.

You can update wirelessly from your phone also.

Same with IPads[/quote]

Idk what os update I got but I still don't have the option to update from my phone, I got a 3GS. I think it's the original software

9. Yeah you can use your phone while you sync now. I think thats an iOS 5 thing

10. [quote name='"Swerv"']Yeah you can use your phone while you sync now. I think thats an iOS 5 thing[/quote]

Did not know that. Burrrrrr

11. [quote name='"Danonymous"']

Idk what os update I got but I still don't have the option to update from my phone, I got a 3GS. I think it's the original software[/quote]

You can do it. Go into settings and general

12. Someone explain to me what the hell iCloud is

13. This is why we need to bring back negative rep.

14. #14 Thai, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
    Definitely cool guy, I agree

15. Fuck all of you. My phone doesnt even take pictures lol

16. same lol.. my phones ghetto as hell, even have tape on the back holding the battery in:devious:

17. haha Heard that. Im upgrading to one of the droids this summer. First smart phone ill ever have.

18. Step 1 - Downloading - Creating your own copy of the software on your computer so it can be installed on the phone. This means the software has to be copied across the Internet (from Apple's servers to your computer's hard drive). During the download you can still use the phone.

Step 2 - Installing the update - This is when the software is copied from your computer's hard drive to the phone's internal flash memory over the USB cable. This part takes about 15 minutes and this is the stage that locks you out of the phone.