Downloading Music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Stoner420Chick, Jan 23, 2008.

1. What are your thoughts on illegally downloading music off of sharing networks such as Limewire??

I'm all for going out and buying CDs of good bands that I like...but I'm 18 years old and don't have the kind of money needed to go out and buy every CD of every band that I like, and paying $1 for every song gets expensive too. I don't mind using limewire every once in a while to get some music, but I also try to get out and buy CDs for really good bands that I like, and many times I realize how good they are because I downloaded some of their songs and enjoyed them enough to go buy a full CD.

2. Ive bought 1 CD in like the past 5 years. Everything else, comes from the internet or someone else.

3. same here, the last cd i bought was lupe fiasco's food and liquor. then i got high speed interenet...:D

4. I buy a CD if I like the group a lot. The last album I bought was Streetlight Manifesto's debut album "Everything Goes Numb". But 9 times out of 10 I'll download it first to see how I like it. I usually download in FLAC instead of MP3 if I can .... lossless ftw.

5. A lot of stuff I can't find in shops around here, so it's pay for mail order or download, in some cases I've used ITunes, other just bit torrent.

That being said for the most part I'm ok with DLing. Most of the record sales just go back to the record company and not the artist, I pay for the music not for some sleezy CEO to get all my money that I just spent on an overpriced plastic disk.

Check out this break down of the cost of a CD and you'll see why the music industry is such a scam, and how downloading in general doesn't effect the artists profit (unless they are independant in which case go pay for their music!)

http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/archives/000541.php

6. i only buy indie and underground stuff. i'll only buy mainstream if its really good and has some replay value. everything else is gettin downloaded. i'm poor, i couldn't have afforded to pay for my 80 something gigs of music...

last cd i bought was in rainbows by radiohead. the next one will prolly be guilty simpson's ode to the ghetto.

7. Listen if its a great cd that you can listen through and love every song, I say buy it if you can. If its a cd with a couple good songs and a bunch of half-assed shit, then the band/artist doesn't even deserve the money.

I personally download most of my music illegally, well used to. I have a Zune and got the Zune pass so I get pretty much all the music I want for free.

8. i gotta zune too. i'm on my second. i had one last summer, sold it to my cousin so i could buy a ipod (cuz i was supposed to be getting a macbook), got arrested, ipod's still in lockup, i bought another zune a week later. i hate the software, but i'm usin winamp for it now, its not bad. and idk about u, but i have yet to send or receive a damn thing. lol, welcome to the social, my sack. weed, that is. lol.

9. Two of my buddies got Zunes as well, we sent like one song to each other. Its a useless feature really. It takes a long time to link up and send a song. Oh well, Zune Pass is tight. 15 bucks a month for unlimited music (mostly).