Downhome Cooking With Foniac: Part Two - Robusto Sausage and Tortellini Soup.

Discussion in 'General' started by Foniac, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I like the kitchen. Every once and a while I'll come home and make some dinner for my mom. Tonight was another one of those nights, and this time I'm going to share an extremely easy, quick, and delicious meal that can be prepared in one pot.

Robusto Sausage and Tortellini Soup - Variation on a Variation.

I formulated this recipe after hearing about a variation on Italian Wedding soup involving some Tortellini. I took it a step further and made some improvements to come out with what I believe is a fresh new product.

You'll Need:

1 1/2 Pounds Hot Italian Sausage. - [ This wasn't a problem for me, I already had about that much in my pants before I even started. I kid, I kid. But I couldn't resist. ]
    Beef Stock.
    Can of crushed Roma Tomatoes - 28 oz.
    One Carrot.
    One Onion. - [ You'll need one half white / vidalia, one half red onion ]
    Half a zucchini.
    Eggplant.
    Orange and Yellow Bell Pepper.
    Clove of Garlic.
    A nice hunk of good parmesan cheese.
    Fresh cheese tortellini.

Cut up your vegetables. Make sure they're roughly the same size. You'll be simmering these and you want them all to become tender in roughly the same time. Zucchini and bell peppers can be slightly larger, the carrots slightly smaller.

De-skin your sausages. You're going to feel like you're helping some sort of alien life form emerge, it's fine. They'll be delicious.

Brown your sausage in a pot, medium high heat, breaking it up as you go along.

After your sausage has finished browning, add your other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Go strong on the garlic, it's delicious. Be judicious with your use of the stock and crushed tomatoes. They're going to add alot of liquid volume to your pot, but it should cook down very well.

Let simmer for about an hour. Check your carrots for tenderness, they'll be the last to finish. Add your tortellini, remove when they've reached your desired consistency.

Bowl it up, and serve. Goes well with some nice italian bread.

Finally, Pictures - from this evening's dinner.

It's not a fabulously chic dinner, it's super practical and hearty and delicious. Not too spicy, but with a little bit of a bite. You can add hotter peppers to taste if you feel the need for something with a little more spice.

Delicous.
    [​IMG]

The Parmesan Bread - a little dark, the way I like it.
    [​IMG]

2. I love to cook too, and i gotta say that looks delicious, Ima try that one sometime.

Thanks for the recipe!

3. i had that at a concert one time, very good stuff.

4. my passion is cooking and that looks like a awsome meal to make you should post later recipes and i will do the same so one day we will gave a grass city cook book