downdowndown's first grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by downdowndown, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Hey all, this is my first grow.
    I have 3 plants (two in 1.5gallon pots, and one in a solo cup.)
    I'm keeping the two plants in the 1.5 gallon pots to keep them tiny for stealth, and thinking about just keeping the other one in a solo cup in case one turns out to be a male.

They're in just some basic basic potting soil I mixed kinda half basic soil half miracle grow soil.

I'm not sure how old they are, I planted them a while back (maybe 3 weeks- a month) it took them forever to sprout though. Hope they'll grow enough so I can get bud. when about is harvest?

Here's some pics, and I'll keep ya posted, any help is much appreciated.
    First three are the same plant, forth one is the other plant in the 1.5 gal pot, last is solo cup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lookin good man, those aren't pistils though, just new growth in the top circle and little things.... don't remember what they're called on the bottom

3. Thanks for the reply!
    I was so excited, "pistils already?" haha

Any idea what that crud on my leaf is?

4. They are not pistils, they are stipules and are found on males and females.

Read my link on sexing - once you see a pistil you will know !!

5. Yeah its still a little early for pistils. LOL

That stuff on the leaf looks like normal wear and tear from being outside. No big deal.

Good Luck.

6. Thanks for stopping by! :)
    Sexing post was very informative. Hopefully I'll be seeing REAL pistils soon ;]

Yeah, Cantharis' sexing guide straightened that out for me. Heh

Normal wear and tear is good, I was just hoping it wasn't mold. Stupid Florida humidity :(

Keep coming by guys, I'll be updating regularly!

7. Just a quick update of the gals.

Pics: I think that crud on my leaf is the same thing that's plaguing my tomato plants. Any ideas on what it is? It starts out small, spreads across the whole leaf then looks like it dries it out and kills it.
    Other than that one leaf, the plants look healthy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be great. :]

8. #8 unoit, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
    HIGH All, well what you have are Leaf Miners...they are difficult to control with insecticide sprays because they are protected inside the plant's leaves...best thing to do is pick O.F.F.F. the infected leaf.

In the Furure think about companion planting.

9. Thanks for the reply. So picking the leaf off will stop the spreading I suppose. But for future reference what's the best way to prevent the problem? And besides the fact that it's kind of ugly, how do these things harm my plant?

10. HIGH All, well they say the Best way to control it is by picking the leaves and destroying them..don't just throw them on the ground as the Larvae will still grow...you can use yellow sticky traps to catch the Adults...cover the soil with Plastic...as for preventing it...pretty hard.....they are more of a nuisance than a Harmful one (pest).