Down On The Worm Farm

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dobro49, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Nothing exciting on the worm farm. Just fearing those invasive worms mentioned in earlier posts here and in the Verm thread.

I postponed moving the worms out and harvesting, as well as planting anything, due to cold warnings this week. I guess we are getting that last one that we hear about once in a while.

• Like Like x 3
  2. A big week ahead here at the Happy Hippy with nice weather expected. I’m finally going to get a garden in full swing and harvest/restart these worm bins. I’m going to check the one outdoors as well for castings and worms to put in the garden bed.

And sow it begins :Love-Plant:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. What are you gonna grow in the garden this year?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Some store bought stuff for indoors since I haven't planned ahead and harnessed the free range wigglers that bless my outdoor efforts.
    IMG_20210425_132021.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. I’ve got several melons, including a Kajori, which I have little info on but talked to a lady in Texas who grows them. Crazy looking melon. I’ve got several peppers, tomatoes, squash, cukes, lots of flowers and herbs, pot, sunflowers. Just a fun variety.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The worm farm is shit. My worms were gone, I guess died. I had a bunch of the rolley Polly bugs. Dammit. 20210428_162324.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Water it. I bet there are cocoons that will hatch.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. I think there may have been. I just dumped them in my garden bed and put sunflower and cantaloupe seeds In it. I probably killed the little autos this morning and broke a tomato plant taking it out of the greenhouse. I have the worst time at this. :bang:

• Like Like x 2
  9. From that pic you’re happy you didn’t use it on cannabis. Those lil bastards will take down a plant if given the chance.
    RD

10. Pill bug damage FBC6A29C-A79A-4E02-BE1D-38BDA0B5004C.jpeg

11. Do you have chickens?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Heck, I thought they were harmless, I hope they don’t make their way to my tomato plants. Thanks elrancho.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nah, I used to years ago at another place.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I thought that for years too. High populations like that can get out of control. It’s weird how certain insects really boom sometimes. I remember a few years back earwigs were booming around here. I’m noticing centipedes are starting to gain in numbers for me.
    RD

• Like Like x 1
  15. When we fall off the worm, we get back on I guess. Started 3 back today. 20210508_170608.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sorry for the hairy leg pic.

The only reason that I can think of for losing those others is that I may have let them get dry, but I dont see how, or, there’s a remote chance that I had some leftover BT residue in my sprayer that got into the water. I’ve no clue but I detest the loss.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Got it back up and going thank goodness. Hope this goes right. 20210511_182010.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. E64FBEC7-2CFE-45DB-AFFB-1E4EC171BD46.jpeg DCC0F62E-DDE2-45B2-8593-E114A7ECDABF.jpeg Figured I’d update. I’ve had some success to celebrate with my little micro bin. They were good and the castings looked like there were eggs so I put it all in a larger bin that was empty.

I also got the garden storage home base today, 12 by 10 building that will be full of junk by sundown.

• Like Like x 4
  19. I know you jest, but I happen to have cockroaches shipped to me on a weekly or biweekly basis for my son's bearded dragon. I've though about raising them myself (they're not a type that can breed/live very well in my climate, thankfully!) but they won't really ... COMPOST anything - they just eat. Lol. But the poop (frass) is good for gardens, I have heard (I have also heard you can develop an allergy to insect frass - just what I need, another allergy!)

Edit: Saw the link you provided for cockroach composting - I will read it fully later, but it's funny that the author ALSO had a bearded dragon that got them started!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. You should do it!! I find roaches fascinating and disgusting. I grew up on Oahu, where we had plenty of large flying roaches all over the island. That would be the perfect place for using them...lots of worms too. I bet composting in Hawaii is tops. I bet the combination of roaches and worms would allow you to be nearly indiscriminate in what items you compost, and would drastically reduce the time to finished product (frass n' cast)...damn market that haha

• Like Like x 4