Down On The Worm Farm

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dobro49, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Im sorry, I know, “Do we really need another damn worm thread?”., I hear your concern. But I was hoping that since my little village of the verm is growing nicely, along with my interest in it, that I could make a thread for input on what I’m up to. I’m excited to try some new things in this new year and ::with PBS garden show voice:: welcome you along.

I plan to post some pics soon, I’m having doughnuts and coffee now.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Yeah but do we really need another damn worm thread?

Yes! yes we do!

Excited to see what new things you gonna be trying out.
    Oh ummm...can I have one of those donuts? :coffee:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. I wrote in the main thread about making a possible worm “love nest” from some small ice cream containers. I’m thinking of adding just a few worms (3 or so, let em think it’s the 70s) and see how and at what rate they multiply. I’ve got the containers soaking in warm water now and will put pics up when I get it going. I found a little bit online about these little bins, including some kids in CA at a school that made one from juice jugs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I dont collect worm poop. I dont grow worms to create worm poop. Yet I read all these worm poop threads and im not sure why .

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. That’s the first sign of the calling, You will be ready to jump in soon.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BFFDC11A-0531-420C-9BCC-874209CC3F85.jpeg 633CD584-7C43-4585-BA1F-A8D2B3FA288F.jpeg 4CE67026-BCE7-47FC-A343-35CF2EC69058.jpeg I’ve got this small bin ready and looking forward to see what happens.

2 - 1 gallon ice cream containers with hole for drain and air.

Stick in the outer container to hold main bin up, couldn’t find a right sized rock.

Added in some shredded cardboard, napkins, leftover potting mix (not much), leaf mold and small amt of grass and sand. Will add worms and some banana peeling and coffee grounds soon. I’m hoping this will be good for a few worms to produce baby worms in.

Looks like 2nd pic should be first.

• Like Like x 4
  7. The bag in upper right corner is leaves and stuff from the yard.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Diversify your vermiculture hobby and do some mealworms my friend, it's getting lonely being the only one;)

• Like Like x 5
  9. I’m going to stick to reds for now but another bin is always on my mind. I’m gonna try and grow a redworm the size of a python and show it in the county fair.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Who's gonna be the first to do some cockroach composting? Lol

• Funny Funny x 8
  11. I killed a roach on the porch a while back and actually wondered if I could compost the carcass. This Organics stuff lives on our minds.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I swear that nothing grows a population faster than feeding veggies or fruit. Don't need a lot, just a piece to let them party in.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I put various fruit peels in but not too much. I put about 1/3 of a banana peel in that small bin.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Glad to see you start up a new bin.. I'm going to have to do so soon as well. I have to tear down and rebuild my CFT bin because a design flaw keeps the material from falling down like its supposed to. Tbh this is the last thing I want to deal with because I already have a million other projects that demand my attention. Still haven't finished my vortex brewer ugh

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fucking worm threads..... just kidding. Absolutely man I do not think their is enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I wish that I was announcing an update on my worm farm leasing a business jet but it’s just this, a tray system that I’m waiting on. This will be the Happy Hippie Worm Farms first go at a tray system. It looks to be made well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Pretty excited about building my first vermicompost. Like it is so easy to build and so extremely important and beneficial. Just more of your love going in the soil I feel. Then being able to use the runoff as an amazing foliar spray. All this for like $30 bucks but saving $100s in the long run. I'll take it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 042C7CEA-E9C1-47A7-94D2-EDAEF5EB8AAC.jpeg I forgot the pic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I was thinking of these flow thru and tray systems and looking at my bucket bit, I wondered about cutting some screens from a fan guard to fit in the bucket and be lifted out with hooks made from hangers? Would the same benefit or work in a tote type bin?

• Like Like x 2