Double root system!?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by ecstatic, May 31, 2010.

1. Hello guyz

This year i have stumbled on sth very interesting. I have a few plants outdoor planted in a pot, and one of them was knocked down by the wind. Now, sth interesting happened. As the plant was in horizontal position, the top of the plant was starting to grow upwards due to gravity, but a part of the stem just under the top was touching the ground gently. The plant developed a new root system out of that part of the stem that was touching the ground, now having two separated root systems.

Now im wondering about 2 things....

Are there any proven benefits of this secondary root system on the plant? Should I leave it like that?

Would it be possible to root a few lower branches by this method and get a `super plant` with enormous yeald?

Any1 with any kind of experience with this phenomenon please make an input.

tx

2. And....

what if we root the plant by this method, but do it so that the secondary root system is in a different pot of soil through which we are adding bio nutritions and extra oxygen, leaving main root system to develop in soil with chemical ferts. I presume that when the chem ferts travel up the stem passing the secondary root system, the secondary root system will mild the neg affects of chem ferts on smoke and taste of the final product.

I dont know how this would affect the plant, but I think that It would be a good method for testing as we only affect the specific branch that we have rooted leaving the rest of the plant out of danger.
    Thats how we could set the maximum dosage of ferts for the whole plant and determine the optimal fert treatments.

I will take some pics of the plant when Ill have the time and keep you updated with my experiments.

Until next time...

3. I'm a noob grower so can't really give any answers\insights, but I am interested to hear what some of the guys have to say!

4. there was a lady here in Oregon ..who would train her plants over , and over to do this ..trying to get say 15 plants out of a 3 plant grow ( 3 in bloom was the law for med here at the time )

at any rate not sure about how the plants grew..but the state decided she was over limit with this idea, just a heads up ..and also remember that energy put into setting roots over again ..could be spent growing buds

wharf

5. theres lots of potential for your situation...

google air layering. its a technique used for cloning woody trees and bonsais. it has a neat potential to create some monster mmj plants like you mentioned.

6. grow some MONSTERS haha

7. Thats how Salvia grows in the wild.

Also rasberries..

You can root the new system and then cut the connection effectively cloning your plant.

8. Yeah they thought she was over her limit, so they dug "them" up....turns out all of her "plants" was just ONE plant, only it was done over and over just like the OP's is. This is the same concept as air layering a clone, where you grow roots on the branch while it's still attached to the mother plant, and you cut it off when it roots. I've done this a few times, the clone continues to get water and nutrients from the mother root system while simultaneously rooting.

There is definitely nothing bad about having multiple root systems IMO. Just means it's less likely to suffer root rot, and more likely to grow more quickly and bigger. It's something I'm considering doing when I do some outdoor grows.

9. wondered how long after air layering was mentioned till you showed up Z..:wave:

your right she walked ..but still lost her plants..I was just giving a heads up...you think every LEO knows ( or cares about) the full MMJ laws?, and there is no recourse if the cops rip em up here , unless you can prove malicious intent...now it may be different in Cali..and if so ..go for broke...

didn't think about the root rot "insurance" part, but it is a killer point.. +rep

10. I think I meant rootbound but both work. Lol

11. more roots = more plant = more bud.

12. this sounds like an awesome idear. If i had the space, i'd turn a decent plot of a backyard to a 9*9 81 sq.ft of northern lightey goodness.

I will have to try this when time/space/land/security allow...

curious for pics as well, like, how long can you stretch that thing? guiness book of world records anyone?

13. What if one root system was in a high Ph environment allowing an easier uptake of potassium and stuff, and the other root system was in a low Ph environment allowing an easier uptake of iron and stuff???

14. Novel idea... :smoke: