Double edge razor vs Multi-blade razor

Discussion in 'General' started by Biochemistry, Jul 5, 2012.

1. About 1.5 years ago I discovered that double edge razors still exist. Then I did some research on how much it would cost to use single blade (double-edge) razors versus multi-blade razors (2-5 blades). I discovered that it is cheaper to use single blade razors in the long run than multi-blade cartridge razors AND the shave is very close if not closer, not to mention it isn't that hard to get used to using an old fashioned safety razor. I calculated that I would save $40 per 10 blades purchased when compared to Gillette 5 blade cartridge razors and $14.20 per 10 blades purchased when compared to Gillette Sensor Excel (2 blades) cartridges. I might be able to attach the spread sheet I made if anyone's interested. Does anybody else on GC use an old fashioned safety razor like I do? The one I use is similar to the one pictured below.

Attached Files:

2. Theirs a reason people still dont use those, :rolleyes:

3. I'm all ears

4. I would cut my face off if I tried to use one of those things.

I'll pay a little more for safety

5. It's really easy not to cut myself. In fact the number of times I cut myself shaving is the same for both types: rarely.

6. Really?

Idk maybe I'm a pussy but I don't trust sharp things that close to my face

7. Man, people used those razors for decades without multitudes walking about with shredded faces. Nothing wrong with the old school razor. I've used them and they are about the same as the more expensive multi bladed razors if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm not saying they're bad I'm just saying I wouldnt feel safe using one

9. I've used 'em...Couldn't get much of a shave off the double edge, but my Gillette Proglide is pretty amazin'.

Double edge I came out cuttin' myself a good few times, but my Gillette is pretty smooth...Can't shave much worth a shit with an electric so I stick to my razors, us God's though, man...Hair comes out as a forest for us.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah I use a Gillete pro glide and it has 4 or 5 blades, its amazing! So smooth everytime. I go through a 4 pack of those razors which are about $18 a pack every 3-6 months. I shave every other day too.

Nothing wrong with the old model razors.. I just prefer the smoother cut and feel or a multi blade razor.

11. Electric razor.

12. I just use a beard trimmer

I haven't completely shaved my face in oh, 8 years or so

13. Yeah I have a habit of shaving against the grain under my chin. It seemed like a good idea until I realised the way I shave would probably lead to a cut artery.

Anyone use a straight razor? I love the way that feels at the barber shop, and I know how to care for a blade. But how is it when you are using it on your own face?

14. Anyone have experience with those dollar shave clubs? how are those razors....

15. Dollar shave razors suck, why they're cheap.

I use the electric ones, works fast and great.

16. I'm about that Gillete Fusion ProGlide, 5 Blades and gives me a major smooth shave. Even used it on my balls once and seriously had the smoothest balls ever. No irritation either.

I've always been curious about those straight edge razors, those might be nice.

17. I use a DE razor. The blades are a fraction of the price of cartridge razor blades and they are easier to clean and keep dry (and thus last longer). They take a little getting used to, but no worse than getting used to shaving period, or easier, in my experience. It's all about using it at the proper angle and being gentle; don't ever push it down like you might do with a duller cartridge razor.

That said, I don't shave very frequently anyhow. I usually keep a short beard and just trim it with clippers :smoke: