Double bass drumming getting worse?

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Tokinsince2012, Aug 5, 2016.

1. #1 Tokinsince2012, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Hey guys. Been awhile since I posted here. But i tried like 10 other drum forum pages and they all wont let me post for one stupid reason or another, so this is my last resort. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section. To sum up my history I've been playing drums for about a year now and I quickly managed to work up a decent speed on my double bass kicking. Right now I'm trying to cover "Shepherd of Fire" by Avenged Sevenfold. And I was able to play most of the song at full speed with almost perfect accuracy especially with the Double Bass. Now every time I try to play it my legs tense up too quickly and I have a really hard time keeping that accuracy and speed. I tried slowing down and working my way back up and that worked for awhile but now I can't even play it slowed down. Anybody ever experience something like this? why am I playing worse instead of better? How can I get my legs to relax a little so I can accurately hit the notes? anybody with drumming experience I would love your input.
    Nice to be back on the forum. It's been like 2 years now lol.

2. Can anyone help me out?

3. It depends how much time passes between drum sessions. I play a lot of double kick, big death metal fan. When I don't practice it's hard for me to keep the endurance I had before, not so much timing. Drummers gotta have good timing. Play the beat without the song playing and see if you can do it.

4. #4 chef buttswett, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Practice is obviously important. Have you also tried adjusting your drum set? Throne height, pedal spring tension, beater height. The less effort and movement in your stroke, the more energy is conserved.

5. Try and relax before the big double bass sections where you're locking up. I play bass and my picking fingers lock up when I get over-excited and try too hard.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I recall my brothers drum teacher (who is a beast) stspped on the pedal in an odd way. I cant recall but it wasnt how you would intuitively do it.

Maybe check on youtube for proper technique (if thats the issue)?

7. #7 sgt baker, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    I am betting it might be a mental thing now for the kid.

edit: I just noticed he posted in august and never came back so never mind the post.