Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Don't want to be intensly introspective, want that 1980's high I used to get!

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Wayniac, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Okay, I'm a little bummed and just need some advice... on best strain for my situation... I guess.Can't find any advice based on my situation and what I need.

I'm 55 and I only started smoking again recently, just recreational, once every other week. I used to smoke almost daily in my twenties, I never knew what strain I was smoking because we just bought whatever someone had in their little plastic bags. This was the 1980's we're talking about. We never knew about strains, let alone about indicas, sativas or hybrids. Even with smoking regularly it never took more than 2 or 3 hits to get me really high. For many years back then whatever I was smoking gave a nice strong body high and mostly quieted and dulled the mind, it was great for sinking into the sofa and listening to music for hours and doing nothing else. At some point, whatever our "dealers" started selling us was different, and I would only get paranoid and way too introspective when I smoked... like bad introspective... focusing on every negative thing I could think about my life. So eventually I just quit smoking, that was it. Didn't touch weed for almost 30 years.

Now here we are, and I am more educated regarding weed, reading about all of the things that we didn't know back then and beyond. I'll be able to grow it legally in my state on July 1st, so that will make this marijuana reboot even more enjoyable.

I tried a few different strains on a trip to Las Vegas last year, even successfully brought some home with me. I bought the strains that I did based on research I did on sites like Leafly, Allbud, etc. Was looking to achieve that awesome high I used to experience with amazing body high and a quiet dulled mind. Although all of the strains that I got were generally okay in their own slightly different ways, they all still made me way too introspective, even while listening to music, and to a degree where I was still thinking about everything the next day... . I really hate that, thats not what I want. I know that you can get quite high without that happening because I used to experience that all the time in my twenties.

I realize that each person's body and brain chemistry can affect the type of experience they have with any given strain, but there has to be a few strains out there that are pretty reliable in providing the experience that I am looking for. I am hoping that some more experienced and knowledgeable smokers/growers out there can give some advice on strains that generally won't cause intense introspection and will be fairly reliable in providing the strong body high with quiet mind effect that I am desperately seeking.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 2
  2. #2 tangentweed, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Maybe try growing a higher CBD, lower THC strain that’s Indica dom.
    I don’t have any particular ones in mind. Maybe someone will chime in on some.

Could be that the newer super potent modern strains are too much for your body chemistry.

The botany sure has improved over the last 30 years

Or perhaps you just have more to be intensely introspective about 30 years later?

Welcome to GC @Wayniac !

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 2 things have changed the game in a major way.
    Then.
    The weed we got back in the day was mostly Mexican dirt weed and it was both late harvest and old. Months to a year or more old. This did two things. Being a late harvest it had a fair amount of Amber in the trichomes and the aging also gave time for the rest of the Cannabinoids to fully ripen and mature.

Now.
    The push for ever higher THC levels come at the sacrifice of CBD levels. That ratio has changed significantly.
    The rush to get it harvested and out the door to the end user ( you) has shortened the former months long time frame down to a few weeks in some cases.

Like most things rushing ruins the end product.
    Fresh Wine.. That is a fine week for box wine !
    Young Whisky. MMMMMmmmmmmmm Choke, Cough, (in harsh voice) "Smooth"

The Fix.
    More CBD if your using Dispensary or street weed.
    CBD Drops or mix CBD weed with THC weed to alter the ratio. Experimentation will be needed.
    Or.
    Grow your own, (I do) Let it go long at harvest, (I do), Cure it 60 days or more (I do).
    I think you'll find it takes the sharp edge off and bring back the "Mello" stone your missing.

BNW

• Like Like x 7
  4. Try gorilla glue#4 . it’s either gonna do what you want or fuck u up lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. I think that you're probably correct on all points made. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Thats interesting and good information, and that seems to make sense. I do plan on growing my own very soon and was going to try a couple of strains with higher levels of CBD, seems like that might be the ticket here... or at least a step in the right direction. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  7. If you are in america i doubt you have access to commercial moroccan hash. Many of the kinds of hash from there give similar effect to what you want. If you have access to hash i think you will find what you are looking for there. Look for darker hash rather than light keef looking hash.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I found that this white widow and blueberry, both old school strains are very mellow, flavor good, high not over whelming.

• Like Like x 2
  9. You are correct, I haven't seen Moroccan hash for sale in any retail environment here in the US. I'll keep this in mind should I ever come across it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks, I'll make a note of that... put them on my eventual grow list.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hey I have a question for you. You say you smoked almost daily in your twenties.

When you returned to weed was your tolerance reset back to zero? Or at least close to zero?

Some people claim you can't ever drop it back to zero, others say you can with enough time.

I'd like to hear about your experience regarding this if you don't mind sharing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I wouldn't say my tolerance was set back to zero, but I definitely had to take it easy because I noticed the effects quickly.

I guess because I knew what to expect as far as what "getting high" feels like from back in the day I wasn't too nervous to take a couple of hits and see what happened. I never had a very high tolerance as far as I remember, so hard to say how diminished it was.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Id suggest sticking to indica strains, low THC strains and microdosing until you are more comfortable. Once ready, if available, indica edibles(low dose at first)
    Once your tolerance isnt so low those feelings should ease up

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. smoke less. one or two hits might be the perfect amount for what you are searching for.

• Like Like x 3
  15. What I miss about my early days of getting high on cheap mexican pot(1970's) is the giggling. We use to smoke and couldnt stop laughing...everything was so funny. I do have a tincture I bought at the disp..it is a 1:1:1...thc,cbd,cbn. Alone it does nothing for me...may try it along with a good strong thc edible.

• Like Like x 3
  16. #16 Wayniac, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    I'm growing two Blue Cheese plants now and I'm going to harvest them late to get a more narcotic effect from them. I'm also planning on curing the buds for at least 60 days. Hoping that this strain and the late harvest with longer curing time produces that dreamy and mellow high I am searching for.

I've tried a couple of strains recently and had some CBD on hand in case I needed to tone things down a bit after smoking. Rug Burn was a nice mild high, more of a sociable high for me, not a couch locker. No deep introspection on that so it was nice. Also tried Sundae Driver which provided a heavier high, but also more on the sociable side... not so much narcotic, dreamy and mellow. Still nice though.

• Like Like x 2
  17. guys you were younger and associated it to good memories thats about it. I sure hope the good weed of today is better than the good weed of the 80's.

18. thats not at all what the OP is saying. he is saying that todays weed IS BETTER and it gets him TOO HIGH. thus he wants to get the high like he did back in the 80's.

19. eh. I guess you can smoke exterior grown weed or stuff then, or use less weed in your joints?

20. Try adding seeds to your weed.

• Funny Funny x 1