dont want my babies to drown

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Kaptain Kush, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ive asked before but with no luck, should i keep the buckets that i put holes in so rain wont flood my bucket or should i leave the bucket as is an hope for the best? keep in mind i live in florida an the evaporation here is crazy alot of the time... but we also go through droughts so im seriusly considering putting in salt solution at the bottom of the bucket. i had an idea to fill the bottom of the bucket with salt solution and soil mix and about 6 inches from the bottom of the bocket put small holes around the perimeter. i really need some help fast since my plants are gonna need these buckets asap

2. First of all i like your name :D

...your buckets definatly need holes in the bottom and up the side of the bottom...if you can, try getting some gravel and put that down the bottom under the soil for good drainage, and some bigger rocks near the holes so the gravel doesnt fall out

hope this is what u were looking for?

3. yea this is a great answer, all ive been looking for really. few more little questions though:
    1. how far up the sides should i bore these holes an how many along the side?
    2. i have six 1/4 holes along the bottom of my buckets now... good?
    3. how much gravel?
    4. will i lose any important nutrients with these holes an if so how do i replenish these nutrients an ho often?
    and
    5. will my plant's roots find their way through the holes?

thanks again

4. 1. They should be near the bottom, under 1" would be ideal, no higher...and 4 holes placed evenly around the pot is good.
    2. What do you mean by "1/4 holes" ?? The buckets im using (4 or so Gal) have about 8 holes (approx 1cm average drill size) i would prefer bigger but I couldn't wreck any more buckets :rolleyes:
    3. A thick layer of gravel, half an inch would be good - as long as none falls out the bottom holes and the side holes. Also remember if you DO put too much gravel in there the roots can't penatrate, leaving less soil and in turn smaller plants
    4. You won't lose any nutrients, only if theyre spare (too much fertiliser, which will damage your plants) and you can do that by flushing with water (Say if you're using 4gal pots, use about 4gal of water and let it drain). If you didn't have these holes your roots would most likely rot. If you mean how often to use fertiliser, it will say on the packet or bottle, usually it's 1 - 1 1/2 weeks between dosages and remember to NEVER give them extra because it's simply not worth it.
    5. If the gravel's there, no. I personally don't have gravel in my pots...basically because I got the idea after it was too late to transplant, but yes if you don't use gravel your roots will poke out of the holes when your plants grow big enough but this won't matter, it doesn't harm them...they (the roots) realise theres no where else to go.

Hope i havnt over dramatised things for you LOL hope some helps though

cheers:smoking:

5. no, infact i dont think those questions could have been answered any better in my oppinion. Thanks so much, if everything goes as planned i owe you much credit for a succesful grow.

6. No worries mate, i'm here to help. Good luck on your grow

7. i was wondering the same thing good answer im gunna try it when i put them outdoors i love this site now my grow is doing so much better than last year