Don't trust your intellect...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by thabosshogg, Apr 15, 2011.

1. #1 thabosshogg, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
    ... to give you truth on its own (unaided by higher self) any more than you would expect an axe to chop wood on its own without a guiding force to utilize it.

Seek truth in silence, find wisdom in calm awareness.

This is the problem with many people in our society.... they see themselves as thought.. there is no "I" to determine which thoughts are based on truth and which ones are based on lies, because their "I" lies in thought itself.... as opposed to the witness of thought.

Watch your thoughts, see the foolish ones as delusional, and the useful ones as useful. But dont let the mind trick you into thinking the foolish thoughts are truth.... as it so often finds ways to do.

Don't feel bad if you mistake the foolish thoughts to be "you" or to be truth... every mistake is an opportunity for growth and further development.

Agree or disagree?

2. My brain is shaking it's head yes,

this is the way to master oneself (in my opinion).

3. Agree.

So many people think nothing can truly be learned in silence.

They need a textbook or an internet page for their thoughts to hold any value. Out of this kind of thinking comes nothing original.

4. Interesting theory! :D

5. Totally agree!

6. When I saw the title I agreed but when something was mentioned about higher self. What is higher self? The thread is entitled don't trust your intelect. Wouldn't my "higher self" be a part of me? If I can't trust my intellect then why would I be able to trust my "higher self" it just sounds like like some kind of extension of me.

7. Yes

Stupidity is a former option

Really!

Within the gaps of your thoughts is the essence of the cosmic mind

8. Higher self is awareness, it is not just limited to you in the egoic sense, it is everywhere, it is boundless and limitless.

When you meditate deeply, and you lose all sense of self awareness, that is higher self. It is oneness.

It is what allows you to step back from thought and observe it, instead of being directly involved in it.

Ultimately I am not sure that it can really be explained though. Even with my description I feel like you may very well still be convinced that higher self is an extension of intellect, which is fine. But even if that is your perspective I suppose you can eliminate higher self from the equation and still have the same basic idea....

9. I don't even know what meditate means, like prayer that is like an alien concept to me what am I supposed to do ask god over and over the same things. I never even contemplated higher self until today. I just don't buy it that I have some kinda higher self. I don't trust my intelect. I know it is messed up even though I play God's advocate a lot. I don't think there is any kind of higher me that I can trust either.

10. At the end is the beginning :eek:

11. The end is found at the beginning

12. #12 Hathora, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
    You do not see how the the ones overcome with newfound awareness struggle with understanding up from down, left from right. If you see them shouting from the rooftops, why do you scorn? Simply guide. I found much anger on this website and little guidance, but the little guidance I did find made all the difference.

I have seen inside and outside of the nature of things. You think you see some final conclusion I don't see, yet you produce no alternative conclusion. You only criticize the Word without offering a different Word. You take and do not give.

It's our choice to make of this existence what we wish. Why those with awareness find it so hard to choose happiness and embrace the great rest, I don't know.

You're stuck in the tunnel, and when one person says they figured out how to stop running in the tunnel, you disbelieve. You give no reason to disbelieve, you simply disbelieve.

I'm sorry, I need to clarify that I'm not talking to you thaboss. I mean, your post inspired my reaction post, but the "you" I'm referring to isn't you. I understand what you're saying and how you're saying it.

13. Absolutely not. Your intellect is a quantification of life, and for something to be true it must be truly quantifiable. Nothing else is true. Intangibles do not exist. You should trust reality, therefore you should trust only your intellect.

14. :eek:

15. Funny cause reality is the reflection of the cave man on the wall from the fire, while search the cave as you might you will find neither the cave man or the fire just the reflection of what you can perceive. We all create are own reality try as we might to find the truth of things you can't see the wind only it's effect so therefore we call it real but yet it is still intangible.

16. OP, can you give an example of not trusting your intellect? I find it difficult to differentiate my thoughts from my "ego's" irrational thoughts.

Awesome post.

I find you can't help people, they have to want to help themselves.

Care to share that little guidance you received from this site? Very interested.

17. Through being yourself, in a way that is "helpful" without being forced help at all, you help more than you could ever know.

18. well my intellect knows so obviously I know, lmao idiot

19. Does that mean going out of your way to help? or not to go out of your way?

Sometimes people take advantage of your "helpfulness" and the other issue is feeding the "humble" ego by acting humble, when in fact, your getting validation from OTHERS by having them say how helpful you are.

it's like a double edged sword with a delicate balance.

20. Only when you realize that the balance becoming unbalnaced is impossible will you see the silliness of the questioning...