dont tread on me flag

Discussion in 'General' started by TooWhite, Aug 20, 2013.

1. I am thinking about getting one for my front yard but i was just curious as to what you guys think whenever you see a dont tread on me flag.

Ive never been in the military, but should you not fly this flag unless you have? Just wondering..

2. You seem to not even know what it even stands for so why bother? And form of patriotism are stupid in my opinion. 

3. I see a lot of them in CA and I love em. 

4. When I see one I dont pay too much mind. I know what its originally from though. If you like it and want one then get one

5. #5 budluver, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
    Its called the gadsden flag, and no you should not get one.

6. You know what you should get? You should get the ol' stars & bars.

7. What does it mean, for us foreigners?

8. It's symbolic of States rights, not slavery. You know like w/ Cannabis and California's State law being shit on the by the DEA?

Too many people get it twisted when it comes to that flag.

9. #9 GanjFarmer', Aug 20, 2013
    Fuck, you just put me on the spot :hide:

lol to my knowledge it came about when the states were first being formed. Ben Franklin made the flag with the rattlesnake and that quote because it basically said "fuck with me and you die". Kind of like if you tread on a rattlesnake you're fucked.

At least thats what it means to my knowledge

10. "First flown aboard a Colonial Troop ship on January 4th, 1776
    This was the flag of the American Colonies at the time of the American Revolution against England.
    It features a rattlesnake above the warning, "DON'T TREAD ON ME". The rattlesnake had become a traditional symbol of the American Colonies. The most obvious reason for this is that the rattlesnake was only found in the American Colonies (and in abundance, to the dismay of settlers) and nowhere else in the world. The origin of the slogan (Don't Tread On Me) pertains to the snake's deadly strike and the idea that it is best to leave them alone.
    The snake on the flag is also roughly arranged in the shape of the American Colonies with the tip of the tail being the Florida peninsula and the head being New England.
    Because of its connection with the original intention of the U.S. Constitution and the freedoms sought by the American Revolutionaries, this Flag has been informally adopted by many Libertarians and those seeking strict interpretations of the U.S. Constitution."

11. In Google we trust.

12. #12 ICGreen, Aug 20, 2013
    In 1775, yeah ok. :smoke:

@Honest, this time it failed try Wiki = closer.

13. Not asking you to judge me, All i asked is what that flag brings to mind when YOU see it, what it means to me and what it means to you could be totally different.
    To me is stands for having respect for other other people. Dont mess with me, i dont mess with you.

14. You should get one and display it proudly but only if you aren't a conformist who will allow government to tread on you.

I wasn't referring to it's origin. I was referring to what it's currently being used to represent, and that's its often mistaken for being aligned w/ slavery and the South in the Civil War.

Blown up any police cars lately?

17. I'm sorry. :wub:

18. reminds me of that episode from the suite life of zack and cody

No I'm waiting for the western world to get off their lazy asses and start the revolution before I do that.